View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Fluvoxamine + LSD question

gearfiend

Bluelighter
I am currently taking fluvoxamine for treatment of OCD at 150mg/day for approximately one month. I want to trip on LSD, however I know that fluvoxamine increases serotonin levels, whilst LSD works by dramatically decreasing serotonin levels particularly at the 5HT2A receptors. Therefore I know that fluvoxamine will directly counteract the effects of LSD, along with other serotonergic psychedelics, essentially making it significantly weaker. My question is this: does anyone know approximately how many hits I would need (dose is 90-120mcg per hit) to achieve a similar effect to 2 hits when not on an SSRI, and about how long would I need to wait after stopping the fluvoxamine for LSD to have a comparable effect to someone not on an SSRI? Fast answers please... thanks guys

Just start with 150ug and increase the dose next time, if it's underwhelming.

"You can always take more but you can never take less."

SSRI's like fluvoxamine do not reliably counteract psychedelics, actually after having seen questions and experiences with SSRI's + psychedelics discussed a lot I'd summarize that in many, maybe the majority of cases effects are dampened, which can happen up to the point of canceling the trip... but also a significant number of people report being able to trip fine, sometimes having altered effects compared to what they are used to or were expecting, and people can even get more potent trips than they were expecting.

It cannot really be predicted as it depends on a mix of factors namely, the person, the type of SSRI and the exact psychedelic... and of course the rest of set and setting!

Do not act purely on your assumptions, but take it easy and be prepared for something unpredictable / unexpected. Certainly not start out trying to compensate with a bigger dose of the psychedelic, if anything start lower because of the unpredictability. Even if indeed there is a chance that the trip will be diminished in intensity / altered in quality.

Also I think your pharmacology theory isn't really right. But granted, SSRI's don't have well understood mechanisms of action anyway.

That was simply my understanding of the current consensus on SSRI's method of action, which, as you said, is no more than an educated guess. However, we do know that LSD, mescaline, and psilocybin, as well as most other serotonergic psychedelics, act upon the serotonin 5HT2A receptors as a very powerful antagonist. This action is responsible for most if not all the hallucinogenic effects of psychedelics, and overall these psychedelics essentially cut off communication between certain areas in the brain, and the experience of tripping is literally losing those connections and regrowing new ones in their place. And I wholeheartedly agree that it varies greatly from person to person because everyone has a totally unique body chemistry. Hell I have severe ADHD and because of that both adderall and coffee help me go to sleep, when most people get the opposite effects from them. However, I had reason to believe I would get a diminished effect from the LSD in this case because I had tried sertraline (zoloft) before the fluvoxamine for my OCD, and whilst on 100mg a day of zoloft I tried tripping on an eighth of psilocybin mushrooms and I felt very little effects, certainly no visuals. It felt more like I ate at the very most one gram of weak mushrooms, not an eighth of one of the most potent strains out there. On the Fluvoxamine and LSD, though, I ate 3 hits of white on white (just plain little white squares of paper), and I tripped FACE. It took me a full 28 hours after dosing to come down off my trip enough to fall asleep (I dropped around 1 a.m. so I was awake for approximately 60 hours straight with no sleep. I had a stronger than normal trip on 3 hits of LSD, and yet hardly tripped at all off an eighth of potent mushrooms whilst on 100mg of zoloft a day. Everyone is different and there's no way to know until you try it. Thanks for the input though guys.