Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

fluvoxamine and tramadol, please help!

smooch0

Bluelighter
hey guys,
so i take fluvoxamine and have back pain so i was thinking of taking 50mg tramadol... i am cautious of serotonin syndrome or any other nasty stuff. If any one can tell me if i will be ok?
many thanks!

hey guys,
so i take fluvoxamine and have back pain so i was thinking of taking 50mg tramadol... i am cautious of serotonin syndrome or any other nasty stuff. If any one can tell me if i will be ok?
many thanks!

Don't do it. That would be mixing a SSRI with a SNRI. Definite risk of serotonin syndrome.

^ This. While these sort of combinations may not have a high risk at low doses, there is a definite risk. You never know how susceptible you'll be. It isn't something we advise experimenting with - however, if your doctor says it's fine then I'd trust their judgement. If your back pain is bad enough to warrant tramadol then you could ask your GP perhaps.

It's good to be cautious and be completely sure about what you're doing when dealing with any drug, let alone multiple and hence possible drug interactions!

As others have said (but I guess to generalise it) by combining two serotonergic drugs can/do cause deleterious effects. These specific two ultimately I don't think would cause any extremely disastrous effects however.....

return to your local GP and discuss these thoughts/worries and see with what they reply. As D_M said, if the GP (additionally even after expressing your concerns) till feel both are indicated, then they're the doc! Essentially, doctors are humans too and (whether we like to believe it or not) mistakes are made! He may in fact (re)prescribe another/for both alternatives.

Good luck brother!

I was on 80mg of Fluoxetine and took about 100mg of Tramadol daily for 2 weeks for back pain.

I was sneaky and got the Tramadol from a different doctor and told him I wasn't on any other meds,but this was because even high levels of codeine were doing nothing for my back and I was in constant pain (two herniated discs fyi).

Nothing bad happened to me,but YMMV and I coudn't,in good faith advise you that it's ok,since everyone is different.But if you're really hurting,50mg every now and then would probably be ok.Just google serotonin syndrome symptoms and keep an eye out for any reactions,and if in doubt,go straight to the ER,because SS is pretty damn serious.

But if you're really hurting,50mg every now and then would probably be ok.Just google serotonin syndrome symptoms and keep an eye out for any reactions,and if in doubt,go straight to the ER,because SS is pretty damn serious.

Why risk it? Get some codeine tabs and do a cwe.

Tramadol is the worst opiate. Geez the Nazis made some crap - Tramadol and Methadone, 2 of the worlds shittiest opioids.

Tramadol is the worst opiate. Geez the Nazis made some crap - Tramadol and Methadone, 2 of the worlds shittiest opioids.

Tramadol is an Opioid and not an Opiate. I didn't know that bit about it first being synthesised by the Nazi party, very interesting. Where did you read about that? I am having trouble finding it. All I can find is that it was developed in 1962.

I didn't know that about Methadone either.

Last edited:
nazis didnt make methadone its just an urban myth.

A persistent but untrue urban legend claims that the trade name "Dolophine" was coined in tribute to Adolf Hitler by its German creators, and it is sometimes even claimed that the drug was originally named "adolphine" or "adolophine" or "Dolphamine". The claim is still presented as fact by Church of Scientology literature and was repeated by actor and vocal Scientologist Tom Cruise in a 2005 Entertainment Weekly interview. However, as the magazine pointed out, this is not true: the name "Dolophine" was in fact created after the war by the American branch of Eli Lilly, and the pejorative term "adolphine" (never an actual name of the drug) appeared in the United States in the early 1970s. Though it is known that 'Eli Lilly' did have connections to the CIA & their 'PROJECT PAPERCLIP' Nazi scientists in the years after WW2 when Eli Lilly was supplying Nazi scientists with LSD for MKULTRA mind control experiments .

Last edited:
I had an ex who used to eat her 150mg Tramals like lollies whilst the whole time being on Lexapro. I know its different but she never had any SS problems, maybe luvox's unique monosyclyce structure may make the interactions different, id certainly get mediacal advice because as stated earlier and from personal experience SS is no joke...

And MissNervosa, fluvoxamine didn't come out in 80mg.. maybe u mean 75 or mistaken with another AD.. possibly fluoxitine?

I should have said 'Hitler didn't invent methadone.' I guess your right as the scientists would have been Nazis.

Where did you read about Tramadol being made by the Nazi's? All I can find is that it was developed in 1962.

Where did you read about Tramadol being made by the Nazi's? All I can find is that it was developed in 1962.

Seeing as you won't respond I am going to call BS on your statement. I can't find any information whatsoever to support your claim. The only information I can find is the 1962 development date.

you're right verybuffed. it was developed in the 60's by a german manufacturer Grünenthal GmbH.

wiki states it. also here under the tramadol section.

the germans have developed a few opioids we use in modern medicine.

From memory they were having problems getting morphine because the whole situation in Europe at the time interrupted their supply of poppies, so they had a synthetic replacement found. Though Goring still managed to keep his morphine addiction going, so I guess they saved the top stuff for Hitler's buddies (Adolf himself was getting daily methamphetamine injections during the later days of the War).

Now I'm trying to come up with a pun about Nazi Party :|

It's 50mg, u should be fine. Lowest possible dose. IME serotonin syndrome occurs with high doses of combined ssri/SNRI drugs.

Rtp