View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines "Floating on his back while playing with himself.."

Ismene2

Bluelighter
Hunter Biden report today that he used to take drugs in a flotation tank - anyone tried it with psychedelics?

Plenty of people have (e.g. John Lily, inventor of the isolation tank) but I'd be curious to hear experiences from our fellow Bluelighters.
I'm sure Erowid has some trip reports somewhere too.

Yeah Lilly liked it and I've heard Joe Rogan talking about it - I think it would be too much for him tripping he says he sometimes smokes a bit of dope and that's as far as he goes.

I think the problem is they cost so much you can only rent them so going in half-cut on acid probably wouldn't be as comfortable as it could be.

I have used a floatation isolation and sensory deprivation tank before. Drugs are not necessary, as it is psychedelic on its own. Also I would be concerned about accidental drowning, confusion, not being able to move, or a bad trip.

You can't drown in there, the water is full of epsom salt. You float, it's in the name. Lilly's first prototypes had oxygen masks, but he afterwards he realized that wasn't necessary. You'd have to be anesthetized to be at any risk at all, on psychedelics it's perfectly safe.

You'd have to be anesthetized to be at any risk at all, on psychedelics it's perfectly safe.
I read a story about a guy who made his own amateur tank in his bathtub, did ketamine and drowned himself.

I guess he took an anesthetizing dose. Maybe not enough salt, either.

You can't drown in there, the water is full of epsom salt. You float, it's in the name. Lilly's first prototypes had oxygen masks, but he afterwards he realized that wasn't necessary. You'd have to be anesthetized to be at any risk at all, on psychedelics it's perfectly safe.
Some people have drowned in them.

I read a story about a guy who made his own amateur tank in his bathtub, did ketamine and drowned himself.

I guess he took an anesthetizing dose. Maybe not enough salt, either.
Wasn't that Joseph Vivian AKA D.M. Turner?

Rest in peace.

Wasn't that Joseph Vivian AKA D.M. Turner?
It was the guy in the first article you linked, apparently.

A 30-year-old became the first person ever to drown in a floatation tank, an inquest heard yesterday.

James Richardson, of Woodley, died in Floatnation in Oxford Road after taking the drug ketamine – used to tranquillise horses.

His body was discovered in a floatation tank – intended for rest and relaxation – by his girlfriend Sarah Waters who was in a tank in the next room when he died.

Of all the people here wobbledebobblede spacing around here you tell me? :dowat:
My mum had a routine test done at a hospital, and she was given Ketamine as the anesthetic, just a low dose in a controlled medical setting. She had a bad trip and said it was very dark and disturbing, and she could hear the doctors and anesthesiologists talking during the test, and said it took her two days to feel normal again and she never wanted it again ever.

I never have taken PCP or Angel dust, Ketamine, or DXM but she told me she could not understand why someone would want to take a large dose of Ketamine at all the way her friend's daughter loved to.

Last edited:
An anesthetic dose would be far higher than a psychedelic dose tho - there's supposed to be something called "emergence phenomena" as they come out of the anasthetic that can disturb some people with their trippy effects. I've had my share of it but never much of a fan - it just cuts off your mind from your body so you're couch bound. Although you do hear of some people dancing their bollocks off on it maybe that's lighter doses.

when i took 400 mg of ketamine when i came back to my body last year I went fucking nuts for a hour praying to jesus to save me from the evil demons lol

Actually yeah

What do they call them…

Zero gravity float tubs?

It was trippy af, a lil scary too cause it was pitch black, it’s supposed to be stripped of stimuli to help with whatever you wanna focus on.

An anesthetic dose would be far higher than a psychedelic dose tho - there's supposed to be something called "emergence phenomena" as they come out of the anasthetic that can disturb some people with their trippy effects. I've had my share of it but never much of a fan - it just cuts off your mind from your body so you're couch bound. Although you do hear of some people dancing their bollocks off on it maybe that's lighter doses.
I was not sure. Either way my mum hated the experience and I was not sure why they gave it to her as an anesthetic?

Actually yeah

What do they call them…

Zero gravity float tubs?

It was trippy af, a lil scary too cause it was pitch black, it’s supposed to be stripped of stimuli to help with whatever you wanna focus on.
Yeah there is not much water in one, but it is pitch black and you cannot see the water. When I first went into one I sat upright in the lotus position, not to meditate or do yoga, but to gauge how deep the water was.

when i took 400 mg of ketamine when i came back to my body last year I went fucking nuts for a hour praying to jesus to save me from the evil demons lol
What was the Ketamine OBE like, where did you or your soul, astral self, or ego, etc. travel to or do while you were away from the body? What did your body do while you were out of it?

I've had my share of it but never much of a fan - it just cuts off your mind from your body so you're couch bound.
I am old school too, had about 5-6 interesting experiences with ketamine and then it just turned into a drug that cut me off from the environment. I admit at the time I was tripping a lot and was looking for another substance that helped with playing guitar and music. Well ketamine was not it. First few trips brought me to the light though in a way that psychedelics can at times. Then just anesthesia on other trips. I actually had a few viles of Ketaset that I ended up turfing as no one even knew what ketamine was back then. These days I imagine they would get snatched up quick to whoever was offered them.

I am glad however other have made use of it in intelligent ways. I do like reading trip reports on any substance whether I am a fan or not. I had never heard of bladder issues until about 8 years ago on BL. It did not seem to be a thing with people using in the early days.

DM Turner was about to release some notes that he need to back off ketamine and heal from the addiction. He said DMT was his inspiration to do that and claimed the DMT showed him that ketamine was a frankenstien molecule that did not follow the Shamanic rules the other sacraments had. He never fot to release those notes but one of his friends mentioned it. In fact DM Turner mentioned it in one of h is books. He claimed he could not have a good mushroom trip if he was planning to use ketamine while tripping. No visuals and just static. He also regretted mixing it with mescaline cactus. He felt he shocked that thousand year old mescalito spirit with a powerful synthetic anesthetic. But he did not quit in time and that damn bath tub. Glad I hate baths. I can't sit in my own dirty water. ;)

I always thought John C Lilly invented the isolation tank. I had heard that the movies Altered States and Day Of The Dolphin were from his work. But not 100% sure on that. But I believe in The Scientist he mentioned trying the tank with LSD and ketamine.

It is sort of comical, John C Lilly was known as Mr Ketamine some years back and a heavy user for a year or so. But reading BL these days so many of you far surpassed the quantity and frequency of Lilly's use. There is some crazy amounts taken these days for much longer.