• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treatment First time taking antidepressants...

p3rs0c0n

Bluelighter
Hello everyone! :bunny:

I finally went to a psychiatrist to treat a depressive episode I've been going through. They told me I have BPD but im not really buying their diagnostic...
good thing is (is it really tho?) I was prescribed with Prozac!

In this thread I will be posting how I feel and if anybody that has used this antidepressant can give me any advice or share their experience, that would be great.

I am cutting booze and all other drugs until my treatment is finished, i was prescribed for 6 months so... it will be a tough one. We'll see how it goes. The thing that is making me anxious is that the effect is not immediate and its been very hard for me to regulate my emotions, specially sober. They did not prescribe me any benzos or something to help until the antidepressant works so im on my own on this one, yikes...

Anyway, I'm on day 2 of taking 20mg, on day 5 I will upper my dose to 40mg. From what I understand im on a low dose.

Week 1: I notice I am more sensitive to caffeine than before, sometimes working on my favor and sometimes giving me anxiety (shaky hands, accelerated heartbeat) which is very unusual because when I drink caffeine I normally don't feel much. Sleeping is ok. Good news is I haven't drink alcohol for now or taken other drugs. I uppered my dose a couple of days ago to 40mg as prescribed. Overall, not many changes.

Week 2: I am having problems sleeping, I wake up 2 or 3 times at night. Also experiencing night terrors... the other day when I woke up in the middle of the night and was trying to get back to sleep I felt like someone entered the room, and it was so real to feel the presence of someone there, I was scared so I didn't look. I closed my eyes and started dreaming that a woman was sitting on the side of my bed, telling me it was time to go. Creepy, but it was just maybe two or three bad dreams like that. In general, I feel more energetic even tho I am not sleeping well. I did drank 4 beers with a friend this week... so I broke edge, lol. I didn't feel it affected me afterwards but who knows what's up in the brain.

Week 3: Still waking up at night, almost always at 3AM and then 6AM... I don't feel as energetic as before. I am starting to self harm by cutting... I have heard this is something that happens to some people who take prozac but im not really sure if the pills are to blame or if its just part of my depression, although I had avoid cutting during the peak of my crisis, now I like the feeling of doing it. I don't know. I am no longer experiencing night terrors, just weird dreams. I have peaks of energy and happiness, only to be followed by episodes of total sadness. I woke up with anxiety on Saturday, my chest hurt and my hands were shaky for hours, a friend gave me some weed to try to calm down and it worked... also I had a beer later on that day, I really wasn't able to follow through the promise I made about cutting all drugs and booze, but I am trying not to be hard on myself, besides, my use has been minimal.

Week 4: Waking up 2-3 times per night. Suicidal thoughts and the urge to cut myself, even when im not sad or having a crisis. I started to cut just because I liked the feeling of it. I don't have much energy as before, probably because its been weeks since I had a good night rest. My hands are shaky almost everyday and in the mornings I feel pressure in my chest. This is not working, I will reach back to my psychiatrist.

_______

Now I was prescribed Paroxetine. They told me Fluoxetine is an stimulant and although it works with some people, it was causing me anxiety... Paroxetine is supposed to make me sleepy and calm, I have been doing some research and its what they usually prescribe for anxiety in particular so I hope it does the trick. Im on the 3rd day of taking it (20 mg) and instead of taking it every morning I will take it at night. I had to wait 5 days after stopping Prozac to start taking the new medication, but I am still having trouble sleeping and its too soon to expect any effect from the Paroxetine. Also, I wasn't prescribed anything else :s to come off Prozac I was just told to stop taking it for 5 days and then start with Paroxetine, I started to feel actually happy like 2 days after stopping, but then I got drunk with red wine and I lost my damn mind, had an anxiety attack, aggressively self harmed... anyways, I think it was caused primarily bc of the triggers around me at the time I was drunk but I don't know, I usually don't feel like that when drunk. That's the issue with this meds, I can never tell how much is a side effect or a benefit of the drug and how much is just a consequence of external circumstances. Its like there's someone inside my head and Im not sure if its a friend or an enemy.

Week 1: Still can't sleep well, I get up maybe once or twice and its hard to sleep right away when I lay down at night, that's different from fluoxetine, I used to be very tired like at 10-11pm and sleep easily but woke up 2-3 times per night, maybe it is because fluoxetine was more of a stimulant and the effect wore off after certain hours? I don't know. Now I am having trouble sleeping when I want and I am still waking up. Anxiety is still bad, depression is still bad... good thing is I am also receiving psychological therapy, so things are heading somewhere (I hope, its been 4 appts) at this point I don't think the meds have done much but fuck up my sleep lol. Another thing they have done is bring back my appetite... specially now that I am taking Paroxetine, I am having trouble to satisfy my hunger lately, not sure if it is because of my anxiety or my depression now turning the table from feeling repulsed by food to never satisfied. Also this past days when I try to masturbate I don't feel anything, its like im numb. Again, this can just be because Im depressed and its been getting worst this past 7 days due to some things I've been going through, so who knows... from my understanding its too soon to feel the effects of paroxetine.

Last edited:
I've tried a few antidepressants over the years. I remember prozac having the most noticeable effect, and it also took effect quicker than other SSRIs. I remember it working almost immediately within a few days, but it was a long time ago and my memory is iffy.

They told me I have BPD but im not really buying their diagnostic...

Yeah they tend to throw labels around too quickly. I've also been suggested I was bipolar, but highly doubt that. My moods are quite stable and the only times I've experienced mania was from recreational drug use. I have no idea why they even thought I was bipolar in the first place.

Psychiatry is mostly a "guessing game" where they tend to throw pills at you until one sticks.

Be patient.

Keep in mind that we're all Guinea pigs when it comes to antidepressants. They all affect everyone differently and sometimes you have to try 3 or 4 before you find one that works for you.

I think Prozac is one with a lower frequency of side effects, so that's good.

Good luck!
I've often heard the exact opposite and have personally known a fair few people to have had awful Prozac experiences - just illustrates how subjective the ssri thing is i guess

Be patient.

Keep in mind that we're all Guinea pigs when it comes to antidepressants. They all affect everyone differently and sometimes you have to try 3 or 4 before you find one that works for you.

I think Prozac is one with a lower frequency of side effects, so that's good.

Good luck!
yes, that's what im afraid as well and also why I had been reluctant to see a psychiatrist in the past, but well now I am giving it a try... I am placing a lot of hope on this one in particular from what I have read buuuut I am mentally ready for it not to work as expected.

from what I know since its a second generation antidepressant so it does not have that much side effects or risks as others.

yes, that's what im afraid as well and also why I had been reluctant to see a psychiatrist in the past, but well now I am giving it a try... I am placing a lot of hope on this one in particular from what I have read buuuut I am mentally ready for it not to work as expected.

from what I know since its a second generation antidepressant so it does not have that much side effects or risks as others.
Don't it lightly is all I'm saying - be aware that any emotional responses could be highly magnified in the initial adjustment period.

Prozac profiles highly for intense low mood / suicidal ideation, but usually in the first month

Have seen it help people a lot though. Some people, definitely not all though

I've tried a few antidepressants over the years. I remember prozac having the most noticeable effect, and it also took effect quicker than other SSRIs. I remember it working almost immediately within a few days, but it was a long time ago and my memory is iffy.

Yeah they tend to throw labels around too quickly. I've also been suggested I was bipolar, but highly doubt that. My moods are quite stable and the only times I've experienced mania was from recreational drug use. I have no idea why they even thought I was bipolar in the first place.

Psychiatry is mostly a "guessing game" where they tend to throw pills at you until one sticks.
that sounds good, I hope it works like that for me!

and yeah, I mean how can they throw that diagnostic after a 30 min interview it was my first appointment and since I am doing this through a government mental health institution my next psychiatric appointment will be on April 4th, 2024... lol

I generally don't trust doctors, so I try to inform myself beforehand and get second opinions

Don't it lightly is all I'm saying - be aware that any emotional responses could be highly magnified in the initial adjustment period.

Prozac profiles highly for intense low mood / suicidal ideation, but usually in the first month

Have seen it help people a lot though. Some people, definitely not all though
damn, I will be paying attention to that... a downside like that is the last thing I need :s but we'll see how it goes.

I am aware that sometimes they work, but in too many cases they obliterate sexual function. I'm not sure what the point of taking something that does this when you are trying to treat long term depressive symptoms.

I've often heard the exact opposite and have personally known a fair few people to have had awful Prozac experiences - just illustrates how subjective the ssri thing is i guess
Someone in my family used to work for the company producing prozac, they are well aware there that it actually doesn't help depression.

Some people take it for years and years though.

I’ve taken antidepressants in the past while experiencing side effects such as vomiting, low energy, and feeling anhedonic. The research around these meds while not combined with therapy of some kind is not impressive even though the meds are often quoted alone as some sort of solution.
I am currently finding regular meditation to be of greater benefit than the meds.

I am aware that sometimes they work, but in too many cases they obliterate sexual function. I'm not sure what the point of taking something that does this when you are trying to treat long term depressive symptoms.
I have heard from other friends that took other type of ssri that was a problem for them, but at least for now it hasn't been an issue I think. I mean, im quite depressed so I don't feel like having sex in general but I don't think the meds have affected that area for now.

Someone in my family used to work for the company producing prozac, they are well aware there that it actually doesn't help depression.

Some people take it for years and years though.
and what is it supposed to help with, then?

I’ve taken antidepressants in the past while experiencing side effects such as vomiting, low energy, and feeling anhedonic. The research around these meds while not combined with therapy of some kind is not impressive even though the meds are often quoted alone as some sort of solution.
I am currently finding regular meditation to be of greater benefit than the meds.
yep, I am on the 3rd week now so im not quite sure im feeling much yet... what I consider to be an improvement is that because I started this treatment I lowered my alcohol and drug consumption almost to zero, I found a therapist and im actively trying to find ways to feel better, through meditation, exercise and art. but all of that has been efforts I had to make on my own, not quite sure if the prozac affected my brain to be able to do that, I don't think so.

yep, I am on the 3rd week now so im not quite sure im feeling much yet... what I consider to be an improvement is that because I started this treatment I lowered my alcohol and drug consumption almost to zero, I found a therapist and im actively trying to find ways to feel better, through meditation, exercise and art. but all of that has been efforts I had to make on my own, not quite sure if the prozac affected my brain to be able to do that, I don't think so.
That's great - most people could do with doing that prior to going on meds if remoely possible, but anytime is a 'good' time time to do that - taking agency over your own wellbeing (note to self........)

je ne sais pas pourquoi certaines personnes ne trouve pas satisfaction avec ce médicament pourtant j'ai une amie qui l'a utilisé et c’était plutôt parfait. ayant vu les l’efficacité de ce médicament je peaux le recommander à d'autres personnes.

https://medicaments-libre.com/modafinil
Hi, your friend may have had a great experience with Prozac, but just because it has helped one person you know, that does make it a good thing to actively recommend. Lots of people have bad experiences with it

You may well be writing about Modafinil though, I don't know

In any case - welcome to Bluelight

As someone who is diagnosed with manic depression i've been prescribed many antidepressants in the past. In my opinion none of them do any good and you are simply poisoning yourself at the hands of big pharma. A healthy diet and decent exercise routine will do 1000x more than any anti depressant will.

As someone who is diagnosed with manic depression i've been prescribed many antidepressants in the past. In my opinion none of them do any good and you are simply poisoning yourself at the hands of big pharma. A healthy diet and decent exercise routine will do 1000x more than any anti depressant will.
Some psyche meds do help some people, sometimes. No doubt at all

Mostly, they either do fuck all or are actively terrible for people. In my (reasonably extensive) experience, also no doubt at all.