• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

First time on the Slopes - Ski or Snowboard?

spaceyourbass

Bluelighter
So I'm going to a ski resort soon with some peeps. Everyone else has experience with skiing or snowboarding, but this will be my first time. I'll have to take a lesson while others are out pizza and french-frying it up. The thing is, money is kind of tight. I can either borrow this dude's snowboard or rent skis. I feel like skiing would be much easier for me. I can skate (with skates or rollerblades) very well and can iceskate pretty good, but I can't turn a skateboard worth a damn, can only go down hills.

What do you guys think? Is trying snowboarding for my first time a hopeless persuit? Will it surely end in huge bruises and a bad time?

is this something you are doing once just to kill some time on the slopes or is it something you are doing because you think it might appeal to you and you might get into it more and spend much more time on the hill?

if it's the former, take a ski lesson.

if it's the latter, take a ski lesson or snowboard lesson - whichever appeals to you more.

if money is tight, you should definitely check out ski school at the resort you are heading to - any half-decent resort will sell you a beginner package which includes a lesson, discounted lift-ticket and discounted rental.

where are you going?

alasdair

I'm going to Snowshoe, WV. I really want to learn to ski/snowboard well and want to persue it in the future. I will be taking a lesson for sure, but have heard that snowboarding is much more difficult, it's better to start off with skiiing to get a feel for the snow. Then others tell me that once they snowboarded they never went back to skiiing. Yet others have horror stories of injuries from snowboarding for the first time, even after they knew how to ski. The last was a girl though so maybe I'll handle snowboarding better. (let me rephrase that) Not to put the girl down, I just consider myself more naturally athletic than she. I will check out ski school for sure.

First off, I love how you assume because she's a girl you won't have the same likelihood of injury. That's such a load of baloney. 8) You seem to have rephrased that as to being specifically about her (not the entire female gender), but do you just generally find men more athletically astute than women? Regardless, I'm sure you'll find that especially the *first time* at almost anything, men and women are equally likely to injure themselves.

I ski and don't see the appeal for snowboarding personally. That said, I'd do whatever you think you'd enjoy better in the long-run. I'm sure you can find a great snowboard instructor. I think a lot of injuries are a result of people not listening/ trying to go too fast with a low skill level. I could be wrong. I'd listen to Ali on this as he's on the slopes more than anyone I know. :)

Snowboarding is pretty hard at first.

Skiing you can just stand there and go.

Take a ski lesson. You'll probably be less frustrated.

First off, I love how you assume because she's a girl you won't have the same likelihood of injury. That's such a load of baloney. 8) You seem to have rephrased that as to being specifically about her (not the entire female gender), but do you just generally find men more athletically astute than women? Regardless, I'm sure you'll find that especially the *first time* at almost anything, men and women are equally likely to injure themselves.

No I said I am more athletic than the girl who told me the story. I'm sure she'd agree

Make sure you know how to stop. It might seem like stupid advice, but I have a screw in my ankle because I couldn't stop while skiing.

With that said, I'm going to move this over to Sports & Gaming

spaceyourbass, conventional wisdom says that skiing is easier to learn but harder to master and that snowboarding is harder to learn but easier to master (where 'learning' is getting to the point where the student is able to glide in a straight line, stop in control, ride a chair and control their speed with linked turns on easy (green) terrain).

i.e. if you drew a learning curve for each, one would be convex, the other concave (generally speaking).

if you think you'd like to get into snowboarding, learning some skiing first won't necessarily give you any advantage.

i work in a ski school and i see many people who are 'naturally athletic' struggle with snowboarding while their friends who think they will be terrible, excel. i also see natural athletes who take to snowboarding like ducks to water. and everything in between.

alasdair

When I went for my first time, I decided to snowboard.

I tried skiing afterwards, and I think the only easier thing is getting off the ski lifts and when you've got icy slopes.

I'm biased towards skiing. That's what I started with and I haven't ever snowboarded.

I've heard the exact same thing that alasdair quoted where skiing is easier to learn and harder to master, while snowboarding is harder to learn but easier to master.

I love the skis and can't really see myself trying snowboarding as when I get a chance to actually GO skiing, which at the moment is usually only once a season :( I want to actually hit the slopes and have a good time, not faff about trying to learn the basics with different equipment.

For me, skis 100%!!

CB :)

ive been skiing 3 times in the past, and never took lessons. after a couple times down the slope, i could make it down the hill fine and go around people, control myself etc. but i couldnt stop...any of the times i went. i never got that down. i wish i wouldve taken a lesson. i had fun doing it, and am im going to try to go a couple times this year.

i also want to get fucked up and go tubing. =D skiing, i would only do sober, but i could lay on a tube and go down the hill completely un-sober, if you will. :D

Snowboard is fun, if ur a beginner try skying, skiing isint gay you can do some crazy shit on them ski's. snowboarding feels to easy.. well thats my imo

JV u seen that most shocking thing where that chick fucked her back up tuben??? Thats some hardass shit,. what a dumbass btw dont make ramps when u go tuben.

Skiing isn't as easy as people say it is. You don't just stand there and go. I mean, you could do that but skiing properly without using the butterfly way takes some practice. You can't go down double or triple black diamond mogules (sp) doing the butterfly.

Snowboarding isn't that hard, depending on who you are. I used to skateboard and I tried snowboarding and it wasn't that difficult, just hage to get used to your feet and legs being fixed on the board as opposed to skateboarding.

Honestly I find boarding easier then skiing the real way. I'm a skiier though, I hate snowboarding and the "wigger" scene that goes along with it.

if you have a full day (or two) to devote to learning how to snowboard, and you are comfotrable with the fact that you are going to fall alot, I say try snowboarding. Once you get it down its really fun. Although the lazy in me says skii, because going across catwalks is easier and the whole chairlift thing is easier

I've been snowboarding twice but never skiing.

Snowboarding was easy to learn for me anyway. Within an hour or so I was able to go up the lift, move around, and make turns to control speed when going down.

The only bad thing about snowboarding for me was that I'd always end up going too fast eventually. Like I could make turns to slow myself down but somehow I'd always end up going way faster than I meant to so I'd just fall on purpose to stop.

Then the worst part was always getting back up over and over. That is the most physically draining part of the whole experience in my opinion. If I had just gone down the entire hill without stopping I bet it would have been a lot easier physically but then I might also be dead or seriously injured.

Hmm now I am leaning towards borrowing the snowboard and using the money I save to load up on painkillas to help my stamina, help with falling, and warm me up in the cold (which is not my favorite thing about snow).

Deffinately snowboarding. I'm a very passionate snowboarder and I can gell you it's something you'll never forget. Even if you do it just once. Ahh, a fast hard carve in fresh powder is the most amazing feeling in the world. And no trick will ever feel better than a perfectly stomped cab 5 into powder. Mmm....winter.

Fucking Aussie summer...urgh.

SKIS bro!! dude, snowboarding is amazing and all, but just surf if you want the same feeling.

SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI SKI

I called the place, and renting snowboard boots is $20 a day versus renting the ski package for $36 a day. I'm going to snowboard because its cheaper and it looks like more fun. Thanks for all the help homies.