• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Filter type IVDU

vinsanity89

Greenlighter
Does anyone know when it comes to wheel filters, what's the best to use for pills? I decided to start with a sterile non pyrogenic PES .22um 33m diameter that I ordered on amazon..but I'm still new to this concept and Amazon doesn't really have too much to offer as it is and I don't really know any trusted medical companies I could order it from..any advice or ideas anyone?

Start with a larger .45 filter, it will be easier to push through and filter out the solids without getting clogged. Then you can push it through the .22 filter. You can actually piggy back them (connect them directly) so it's done so in one step rather than a whole procedure. Hopefully this will help Guide to Filters. Disregard the colors used in the guide, different companies/countries color them uniquely. Go by the size description to make sure you're getting what you need/want.

Thanks man..I checked the guide out..very helpful..but still not really saying what type is best. PES or nylon or PVDP or PESE or w.e..there's so many types regarding that. I'm personally filtering buprenorphine. Any idea which the best is regarding that type or it doesn't matter? And BTW thanks for all the help and advice so far.

Thanks man..I checked the guide out..very helpful..but still not really saying what type is best. PES or nylon or PVDP or PESE or w.e..there's so many types regarding that. I'm personally filtering buprenorphine. Any idea which the best is regarding that type or it doesn't matter? And BTW thanks for all the help and advice so far.
I use these .22 Micron PES sterile Wheel Filter but I don't start with pills. I'm using a different substance with less/no filler materials. So no pre filter is needed like with pills.

I'm searching for more information on the different types but if you'll scroll through and read the following: Bluelight Wheel Filter Link. It seems they list PES as the way to go also.

There is a user that trialed most the different types and noticed negligible differences. I did see it noted that PES are stronger than Nylon though.

There is another blue light thread listing use of a PVDF Filter for pills. This is a rather well put together post and details a lot of the process and why. But I'm not sure I've ever seen PVDF filters when I'm getting the PES filters.

Other than that I'm having a hard time finding details on what substances the different filters are used for. I did read that there should be a datasheet for each of the wheel filter types listing the compounds and substances each is best used with, however I have yet to be able to find it.

Sorry I wasn't of more help. I'll probably spend a bit more time searching, so if I come across anything more, I'll get back to you.

So I found some more, sorryy to be adding chains to the thread, I'm just doing this in my free time as I get it.

Wheel filters differences explained is a great site that gives you a run down on the types and what they are generally used for.

I did find this link on Suboxone films, in the posts buoprenorphine is mentioned but unfortunately the question wasn't fully answered. However, the rest of the post is great information.

Yes .same question I posted month or so ago. The sizes are fairly obvious even though I find .22 far to small. The site says it can remove bacteria. I find it effects the strength of drug ure filtering too at that size.

My main question was about all the different materials .after I saw the first eight or so I came across another half dozen ,then soon gave up trying to figure it out.

I can also see why very few people read the filter posts .I'd imagine the cost involved. I've found around a euro per filter about average depending on amount boughy. If you need a couple of filters a go and u can't really use them twice safely .that's like ten euros a day on filters alone.

Prob money theyed rather use on heroin

In my entire life I’ve never met an iv user who used actual filters. If they used anything it would be just a q tip

I mean it’s a good thing to use if you’re gonna do that but in the non-online world, from my own personal experiences anyway, it just isn’t really much of a thing

I’m from a rural place though, maybe in other places it’s more of a thing, I dunno

Yes .same question I posted month or so ago. The sizes are fairly obvious even though I find .22 far to small. The site says it can remove bacteria. I find it effects the strength of drug ure filtering too at that size.

I'm not sure how or if filters can affect the concentration of your solution. I've never noticed a difference in strength or effects when filtering but that could be due to using different substances. If you don't use .22 what do you use? They can block most bacteria, spores, and other contaminants however viruses will pass through the filter. So it's not 100% assured but it mitigates some of the risk associated with IVDU.

My main question was about all the different materials .after I saw the first eight or so I came across another half dozen ,then soon gave up trying to figure it out.

In the materials I saw, PES, PVDF, and nylon seemed to be referenced the most. The nylon was said to be one of the weaker options so maybe it's not the best choice for pill filtering or heroin. Another thing of note is that the PVDF can take higher heat than the PES, so if you have to cook your solution maybe that's the way to go. I'm still determining though as I don't have a professional understanding of the topic. I'm simply trying to interpret what I find as best possible.

There are a lot of options and it can be overwhelming but in all honesty, it seems like they are interchangeable to a degree without greatly decreasing the end result. Maybe it's a case of they will all work and one (TBD) is simply the best option?

I can also see why very few people read the filter posts .

Filter posts are rather dry and technical but that's because the fields that use them are generally highly trained and educated people. Unfortunately, there is no real literature that isn't technical covering the topic. So you just have to do your best piecing it together and asking others when the opportunity presents itself. Information is vital to safer use but sadly it's in short supply for IVDU.

Be sure to use Duckduckgo or Yandex to search as they are not as filtered/censored as Google is. You'll get fewer results about rehabilitation centers and abstinence and more results related to your actual search. Even then, you'll have to scroll through and interpret a great deal of information that's not pertinent to what you're looking for.

Also, a great deal of it will be Global/EU/UK resources rather than US resources as the US doesn't believe in Harm Reduction as a feasible practice on DU and opts for abstinence and limited information programs. This results in the standards you find possibly being different due to varying laws, regulations, etc. of the country of origination. So trying to differentiate/calculate between EU standards to US standards makes it even more complicated.

I'd imagine the cost involved. I've found around a euro per filter about average depending on amount boughy. If you need a couple of filters a go and u can't really use them twice safely .that's like ten euros a day on filters alone.

Lastly, the cost involved is another unfortunate factor. You are right when you say it's money most would probably rather spend on drugs over supplies and that using multiple filters, multiple times a day is not very feasible in the long term for most IVDUs. Drugs are not a cost-effective or safety-oriented hobby/lifestyle in the first place and when you add all the necessary tools and aspects to have a safer experience, the final cost is much greater than just the cost of your DOC. To be frank, my supplies kit is likely of greater value than my actual stash.

In my entire life I’ve never met an iv user who used actual filters. If they used anything it would be just a q tip

I mean it’s a good thing to use if you’re gonna do that but in the non-online world, from my own personal experiences anyway, it just isn’t really much of a thing

I’m from a rural place though, maybe in other places it’s more of a thing, I dunno

I'm one of the few, if not the only person I know of that actually uses micron filters, even then I don't use them all the time. I typically use Dental/Medical Pellets or a chunk of Q-tip. My particular DOC doesn't have all the filler and extraneous particulates that would typically necessitate more than a cotton filter but for specific situations I will use a .22-micron filter. I've lived in both rural and urban zones and the cotton/q-tip is typically the primary method of filtering.

Last edited:
"Q) What do you mean 0.2? What's PVDF? What does 25mm mean?
A) Whatman is the manufacturer of the micron filters I use. People use other, different brands of micron filters, but the positive reviews I have read about Whatman brand micron filters led Swim to acquire these. 0.2 µm refers to the pore size of the filter. It's one of the smallest sizes of micron filters that are out there (the smallest I've seen is 0.1 µm). 0.2 µm micron filters are necessary to remove harmful inactive ingredients in pills, like talc (for example) or microcrystalline cellulose. PVDF is a type of filter media, which is good for oil-based and water-based solutions. Nylon filters are ideal for oil-based solutions only, and PES filters are ideal for water-based solutions only. Swim determined that PVDF filters are ideal for intravenous drug use. You can read more about filter types. 25mm refers to the size of the filter (how much surface area the solution has to pass through). Ideally, the larger the surface area, the quicker the filtration. However, Whatman brand filters have pre-filters built into them, so that 25mm is large enough for most purposes. Other filters which are larger may not be as high quality or filter the solution as effectively due to a lack of a built-in pre-filter."

Syringe Micron FIlters for Safer Injections

Last edited:
Yes I don't know how it affects the strength but I'm certain it does. I mean off depends on what your using . T his was just got heroin. I mean to give u an example if I was to use a .22 first it would clog like u says . This was surprising as the stuff seems to be nearly fully soluble. Only saying that because no visible particles can be seen. Then even more surprisingly it actually t turned the colour of the gear back to water .almost clear. It's like the 22 micron can filter back out the heroin. Then again is that surprising if it can remove bacteria?

I would've added more to my first post but as no-one replied it sorta confirmed my beliefs that no more that a handful of ppl on here are using them . Like previous poster said nobody I've ever met on street has used them. O nd unfortunate but yes the cost nearly matches the gear cost of using fresh each time.

there would be no point using one twice as the bacteria from first use would just gather on outgoing side of the filter idimagine.

to answer your question on what do I use. I had to goto a bigger filter but I found the cost to much in the long run . I was paying around 200 a month for filters. As heroin is so cheap the cost was similar which felt crazy lol. I now use a mix of an even larger filter then cotton wool . Prob sounds nuts but I run it thru large filter them reheat with cotton wool in the heat. Obv there s a debate whether it's particles or b bacteria that cause cotton fever. My thoughts are that a reheat with cotton in mix solves one of those issues. The reason a bigger filter is as I reuse it for a day using this methkod.

in not iving btw I IM H . One thing I noted not using the .45 filters I get som e skin discoloration on the site. Goes to show how much shit remains even if it looks fully water soluble.

be interested if anyone has anything to add to this..

thx for info

25mm or whatever is just diameter of wheel answering other persons post for u

Harm Reduction Study through Pub Med

Study on the Sterifilt in the EU. This is an alternative to the micron filters found on Amazon.com or other websites. This filter is specifically designed for IVDU and the company will ship globally.

"Injection drug use syringe filters (IDUSF) are designed to prevent several complications related to the injection of drugs. Due to their small pore size, their use can reduce the solution's insoluble particle content and thus diminish the prevalence of phlebitis, talcosis.... Their low drug retention discourages from filter reuse and sharing and can thus prevent viral and microbial infections."

"Factors found to significantly influence filter preference were duration and frequency of injecting drug use, the type of drugs injected and subculture. Furthermore, IDU's rationale for the preference of one type of filter over others was explored. It was found that filter preference depends on perceived health benefits (reduced harms, prevention of vein damage, protection of injection sites), drug retention (low retention: better high, protective mechanism against the reuse of filters; high retention: filter reuse as a protective mechanism against withdrawal), technical and practical issues (filter clogging, ease of use, time needed to prepare an injection) and believes (the conviction that a clear solution contains less active compound)."

"All filters used by injecting drug users (IDUs) will eliminate some of these particles, but not with the same efficacy. The size of the majority of insoluble particles involved in the development of talcosis due to injecting drug use is within the range of 9 μm to 23 μm (medium of 14 μm) [11]. Cigarette filters, commonly used by injecting drug users, eliminate less than half of all particles above 10 μm [12]. Injecting drug use syringe filters (IDUSF) have been specifically conceived for drug use and are capable of eliminating the large majority of insoluble particles [13]."

Yes I don't know how it affects the strength but I'm certain it does. I mean off depends on what your using . T his was just got heroin. I mean to give u an example if I was to use a .22 first it would clog like u says . This was surprising as the stuff seems to be nearly fully soluble. Only saying that because no visible particles can be seen. Then even more surprisingly it actually t turned the colour of the gear back to water .almost clear. It's like the 22 micron can filter back out the heroin. Then again is that surprising if it can remove bacteria?

"Another important characteristic of a filter is its capacity to retain drugs, as the retention of a considerable proportion of the active compound can incite drug users to hold on to their filter and to reuse it later or even to share or sell it [15]. The conservation and reuse of filters puts IDUs at risk of bacterial and fungal infections, and filter sharing is a known risk factor for hepatitis C transmission [16,17]; sharing of paraphernalia other than syringes might even be a key element in the ongoing hepatitis C epidemic. IDUSF are specifically designed to retain as little active compound as possible, without the necessity to add extra rinses to the filtration process; this is susceptible to increase their acceptability and to reduce sharing."

"The characteristics of the Sterifilt® are the following: it eliminates 99% of insoluble particles, and is additionally effective at shifting the particle size distribution towards the smaller range, with approximately 95% of all particles present after filtration measuring less than 5 μm [12]. This filter retains virtually no drug (0.02 ml), as opposed to cigarette and makeshift filters which retain about 0.13 ml [13]."

"Several presumptions about current practices may act as a barrier to syringe filter use, such as the idea that someone's current filtration technique is efficient in eliminating particles, or that some drugs don't need filtration because no insoluble particles are visible in the solution. However, clear solutions are not always free of them, as some potentially harmful insoluble particles are invisible to the naked eye [22]."

"IDUSF can thus substantially reduce some very common injection related Public Health issues, like the incidence of small vessel blockage and subsequent medical complications [12,18]."

"The majority of the buprenorphine injectors (64%) used an IDUSF. The starch present in these tablets gives rise to several complications such as the puffy hand syndrome. Furthermore, complications at the injection site are more frequent among buprenorphine injectors [19]. "

"A second category includes heroin and cocaine, for which 39% versus 33% used an IDUSF. The main argument for using syringe filters is the preservation of health; their use is facilitated by the relative lack of technical difficulties (e.g. the membrane hardly ever gets clogged by these drugs). The main arguments mentioned by this population for the continued use of cotton filters are the conservation and re-use of "old cottons" and the assumption that filtration of these drugs is less important than filtration of pharmaceuticals."

"Several participants mentioned that the membrane can become clogged, which is attributable to its small pore size, combined with a high density and insoluble particle content of the solution. Membrane obstruction is thus more frequent with pill injection and particularly with the injection of morphine sulphate."

Keijzer L, Imbert E. The filter of choice: filtration method preference among injecting drug users. Harm Reduct J. 2011 Aug 22;8:20. doi: 10.1186/1477-7517-8-20. PMID: 21859488; PMCID: PMC3176466.

Last edited:
25mm or whatever is just diameter of wheel answering other persons post for u

"25mm refers to the size of the filter (how much surface area the solution has to pass through)." Yes, the reference was to the size of the wheel filter, not the pore size and filtration ability.

I now use a mix of an even larger filter then cotton wool . Prob sounds nuts but I run it thru large filter them reheat with cotton wool in the heat. Obv there s a debate whether it's particles or b bacteria that cause cotton fever. My thoughts are that a reheat with cotton in mix solves one of those issues. The reason a bigger filter is as I reuse it for a day using this methkod.
Cotton Fever

The risk of disease comes from cotton plants that have been heavily colonized by a strain of bacteria known as E. Agglomerans. This bacterium wreaks havoc in the respiratory system of the body which causes the symptoms of cotton fever. While even using a new cotton filter puts one at risk for cotton fever, these risks only become increased when old filters are rehydrated and reinjected.

The primary risk factors for cotton fever are:
  • Injection drug use - Injection drug use is the underlying cause of "cotton fever". Injection drug users often use cotton balls or other cotton products to filter the substance-containing solution. This solution passes through the filter to be injected before it enters the body. Upon injection, cotton fibers and bacteria present in the cotton filter enter the bloodstream directly. Even though a filter does prevent some particles and unwanted material from directly entering the body, it can still introduce dangerous bacteria and contribute to the risk of infections greatly.
  • Reusing cotton filters - During the injection process, a minute amount of a substance becomes left within a filter. The practice of saving up these filters to produce an active dose of the substance is a cause of cotton fever and the bodily harm and death that can result from it. Some users save these cotton balls for extended periods of time and then later soak them in water to extract any residual material.[2] This practice is very dangerous as it introduces both insoluble particles as well as bacteria into the blood stream. When the cotton filters of previous injection solutions are saved, rehydrated, and reinjected the injection process is made more unsanitary by the introduction of bacteria that have been multiplying within the cotton filter.
  • Improper storage of cotton filters - When the saved cottons are stored while they are still damp or placed/stored in a damp environment, it creates an ideal environment for the dangerous bacteria to multiply, vastly increasing users' susceptibility to cotton fever. While the saving of cotton filters for reuse should not be done at all under any circumstances, as stated above, users determined to do so can mitigate the risk by assuring any cottons are dry before storage and stored in an airtight dry environment.
  • Unsanitary environment or materials - If materials that have been shared communally are used, the probability of contracting cotton fever becomes increased. If injection materials are re-used, unclean, or left out in the open before their first use, the risk of bacterial infection becomes increased simply due to the environment. The utmost care and caution should be taken to ensure the most sanitary conditions possible before any injection drug use.
  • Using filters unfit for injection - A way to minimize the risks that result from using cotton filters is to use filters made specifically for injection drug use. These specially designed filters will filter out particles over 10 microns, which is the standard of the European Pharmacopeia.[3] The use of cotton filters, or cigarette filters, can lead to insoluble particles entering the bloodstream and causing internal sepsis, or potentially life-threatening blood poisoning. These specially made filters, the Compet AG syringe filter (Compet AG, Switzerland), the "filter syringe" (Frontier Medical Group, UK) and the Sterifilt® (Apothicom, France), are not yet readily available for all injection drug users.

Prevention​

Cotton fever can be prevented by:
  • Completely avoiding the use of cotton filters. Micron filters are a safer alternative to cotton filters and filter out more impurities than their cotton counterparts. A detailed guide on how to use micron filters can be found on Drugs Forum Micron Filter Guide. The use of micron filters and other non-cotton filters does not eliminate the chance of acquiring cotton fever, but it does eliminate the possibility of cotton fibers and cotton-specific bacterium entering the blood stream and causing internal sepsis.
  • Avoiding the collection and soaking of used cotton filters to extract any residual product. This puts one at a substantially increased risk of acquiring cotton fever. Old cotton filters can harbor bacteria and pathogens in addition to any remaining substance residue.

So can the heating of cotton before use eliminate these bacteria? Like I say I use large filter then cotton . I just chop up cotton cleaning pads . I've used for a long time and never experienced cotton fever that I know of but not stupid enough to believe im not at risk. Is heating the cotton enough to make it safe or is the particle build up in system still a factor? I also saw ppl report cigarette filters were dangerous due to plastics or some reason but this is a common method that is used but not by myself personally.

Ultimately I guess hr should put some money into cheaper filters or supply them with the free pins. I mean in UK they used to put citric in with the kits even that's stopped. Supplying free heroin would be nice too.😁

Well after almost catching endocarditis and other bacterias, one tries to smarten up and be better and cleaner. Honestly I'm trying to get off I'm just atleast going to be clean until I ween myself

I use these .22 Micron PES sterile Wheel Filter but I don't start with pills. I'm using a different substance with less/no filler materials. So no pre filter is needed like with pills.

I'm searching for more information on the different types but if you'll scroll through and read the following: Bluelight Wheel Filter Link. It seems they list PES as the way to go also.

There is a user that trialed most the different types and noticed negligible differences. I did see it noted that PES are stronger than Nylon though.

There is another blue light thread listing use of a PVDF Filter for pills. This is a rather well put together post and details a lot of the process and why. But I'm not sure I've ever seen PVDF filters when I'm getting the PES filters.

Other than that I'm having a hard time finding details on what substances the different filters are used for. I did read that there should be a datasheet for each of the wheel filter types listing the compounds and substances each is best used with, however I have yet to be able to find it.

Sorry I wasn't of more help. I'll probably spend a bit more time searching, so if I come across anything more, I'll get back to you.
Dude thank you so much. You've been a major help on all this..didn't really think my post would get any answers. Thanks and I'm about to check it all out

I can also see why very few people read the filter posts .I'd imagine the cost involved. I've found around a euro per filter about average depending on amount boughy. If you need a couple of filters a go and u can't really use them twice safely .that's like ten euros a day on filters alone.

If your in Europe I'd assume you'd just get the sterifilter. They don't have those in America, atleast none I can find. Hell I order my stuff off Amazon cause I'm scared to try another website and get scammed. Wish I could find a legit medical company that sells em with no bs attached. But I'm confused when u say the first 8 materials and then a dozen more. What are u referring to exactly?

I'm not sure how or if filters can affect the concentration of your solution. I've never noticed a difference in strength or effects when filtering but that could be due to using different substances. If you don't use .22 what do you use? They can block most bacteria, spores, and other contaminants however viruses will pass through the filter. So it's not 100% assured but it mitigates some of the risk associated with IVDU.

In the materials I saw, PES, PVDF, and nylon seemed to be referenced the most. The nylon was said to be one of the weaker options so maybe it's not the best choice for pill filtering or heroin. Another thing of note is that the PVDF can take higher heat than the PES, so if you have to cook your solution maybe that's the way to go. I'm still determining though as I don't have a professional understanding of the topic. I'm simply trying to interpret what I find as best possible.

There are a lot of options and it can be overwhelming but in all honesty, it seems like they are interchangeable to a degree without greatly decreasing the end result. Maybe it's a case of they will all work and one (TBD) is simply the best option?

Filter posts are rather dry and technical but that's because the fields that use them are generally highly trained and educated people. Unfortunately, there is no real literature that isn't technical covering the topic. So you just have to do your best piecing it together and asking others when the opportunity presents itself. Information is vital to safer use but sadly it's in short supply for IVDU.

Be sure to use Duckduckgo or Yandex to search as they are not as filtered/censored as Google is. You'll get fewer results about rehabilitation centers and abstinence and more results related to your actual search. Even then, you'll have to scroll through and interpret a great deal of information that's not pertinent to what you're looking for.

Also, a great deal of it will be Global/EU/UK resources rather than US resources as the US doesn't believe in Harm Reduction as a feasible practice on DU and opts for abstinence and limited information programs. This results in the standards you find possibly being different due to varying laws, regulations, etc. of the country of origination. So trying to differentiate/calculate between EU standards to US standards makes it even more complicated.

Lastly, the cost involved is another unfortunate factor. You are right when you say it's money most would probably rather spend on drugs over supplies and that using multiple filters, multiple times a day is not very feasible in the long term for most IVDUs. Drugs are not a cost-effective or safety-oriented hobby/lifestyle in the first place and when you add all the necessary tools and aspects to have a safer experience, the final cost is much greater than just the cost of your DOC. To be frank, my supplies kit is likely of greater value than my actual stash.

I'm one of the few, if not the only person I know of that actually uses micron filters, even then I don't use them all the time. I typically use Dental/Medical Pellets or a chunk of Q-tip. My particular DOC doesn't have all the filler and extraneous particulates that would typically necessitate more than a cotton filter but for specific situations I will use a .22-micron filter. I've lived in both rural and urban zones and the cotton/q-tip is typically the primary method of filtering.
If there's water and injection used then there's always a chance of bacteria. Take it from me whose gone through it and seen friends die horribly from it. Use the microns every time. I chose pills over street drugs thinking it was the smarter route. Well street drugs u just over dose and go out with no pain in your sleep. Pills..they lead to infections and swelling and horrible shit long term unless u do all proper steps and even then long term use could still mess your body up idk. Alot of pills have corn starch in them and we all know what that's used for. Imagine injecting a binder like that in you for years unknowingly 🤦 my ignorance was bliss. Can never be too careful or too educated is what I've learned the hard way.

"Q) What do you mean 0.2? What's PVDF? What does 25mm mean?
A) Whatman is the manufacturer of the micron filters I use. People use other, different brands of micron filters, but the positive reviews I have read about Whatman brand micron filters led Swim to acquire these. 0.2 µm refers to the pore size of the filter. It's one of the smallest sizes of micron filters that are out there (the smallest I've seen is 0.1 µm). 0.2 µm micron filters are necessary to remove harmful inactive ingredients in pills, like talc (for example) or microcrystalline cellulose. PVDF is a type of filter media, which is good for oil-based and water-based solutions. Nylon filters are ideal for oil-based solutions only, and PES filters are ideal for water-based solutions only. Swim determined that PVDF filters are ideal for intravenous drug use. You can read more about filter types. 25mm refers to the size of the filter (how much surface area the solution has to pass through). Ideally, the larger the surface area, the quicker the filtration. However, Whatman brand filters have pre-filters built into them, so that 25mm is large enough for most purposes. Other filters which are larger may not be as high quality or filter the solution as effectively due to a lack of a built-in pre-filter."

Syringe Micron FIlters for Safer Injections
God I been switching it up using nylon and pes filters cause I read somewhere that the nylon ones were good too. Like I said I order my shit off Amazon 😬 I haven't found another place trusted enough to get to my house and I'm in the US if that matters. But I'm definitely going to stick to pes from here on out and hope these nylon ones maybe one be okay to stack on the pes or something so I get some use out of them. All your info has been helpful as hell. The pes filters I have are 33mm though. And the nylons are 25mm like u said, so does that mean it's not as sterile? might shoot u a DM if that's cool.