Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters
i thought it was OK. its not gonna win any awards or anything, but i was pretty entertained throughout.

...besides, shannyn sossamon is purdy ;)

lol...touché, sir. touché.

ill rephrase my sentence: i dont think it should win any awards, but i was pretty entertained

One of the worst movies I've seen in a long time.

i'm not trying to argue (different strokes for different folks, eh?), but why do you say that?

the black hole thing is a bit sketchy, but other than that... i find the story and presentation quite entertaining.

I thought it was a huge case of style over substance. The characters were designed to be hip, but failed to pull it off. The dialogue is a great example of this. When the characters referred to committing suicide, for example, they used the term "offed" - as in "when I offed" and "how did you off?" None of them said killed myself or committed suicide. No, they had to use this terminology that sounds cool and makes killing yourself seem like a hip thing to do. Which brings me to the next reason I didn't like it.

In the reality of this film, when you kill yourself, you are taken to a world abundant in beer, petrol, food, etc. Zia and Eugene drove around drinking and meeting strange and interesting people... and then Zia comes back to life. And even though Eugene doesn't come back to life - he ends up leaving with his lover on a private train carriage after sipping champagne at some unexplained bar at the train station. So basically what's the message? That if you kill yourself you'll have a surreal experience and travel to a world where you make friends, have seemingly never ending amounts of alcohol to drink, go on cool adventures and then wake up back in the real world? When Zia killed himself he was distraught, heartbroken. When he woke up in the hospital he was lying down beside the love of his life. So killing himself basically solved all of his problems.

The actor playing Eugene was over-doing the hipster foreign guy bit. The actress playing Mikal annoyed me in the same way that Zooey Deschanel does. I thought she was poorly made-up to look like an alternative chick when really she's just a Hollywood actress with a cute hair cut. The film was a waste of Tom Waits and Will Arnett. They are the only reason I watched the film until the end and it wasn't worth it.

The flashback scenes to the beach with Zia and Desiree where horribly cliched - why is it in bad films when the character is reminded of someone that they presumably had countless adventures with, they always remember one scene that most often is lit like and looks like a bikini commercial?

I could go on and on, but mainly the film didn't do it for me because it was pointless pseudo-intellectual art trash and the film makers seemingly have no concern whatsoever about how suicidal people are going to re-act to this film. It deals with a very sensitive subject as if it is a joke... and it spends an hour and a half cracking bad jokes that mostly fall flat only to end with a happy Hollywood ending bullshit conclusion that means nothing.

All of the stars!!!!

I started this one out assuming it would be terrible. I was beyond wrong. Im amazed it actually gained popularity though.

sorry to bump this up, but I just saw this movie today and loved. anyone who hasnt seen this, give yourself a treat and rent it. Thought the entire concept was creative and original, found myself really liking all the characters. The girl who plays Mikal is out of this fucking world sexy and the music was really different in a good way, it added a surreal quality to the film.

I think people who say this movie is emo are completely missing the point of the movie and are judging it too much on its title. The whole point of the movie is about appreciating life and not letting negativity get the best of you... isnt that the opposite of emo?

I can see how people would compare this to eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, but this is much better. rent it, buy it.

the music was really different in a good way, it added a surreal quality to the film.

A lot of the soundtrack was done by Gogol Bordello

The character Eugene is BASED on the lead singer in Gogol Bordello conveniently named Eugene Hütz.

Awesome awesome movie. The best movie I've seen in a long time. <3

I heart Gogol Bordello too! :D

good movie, but i didn't like the ending--that they got another chance at their previous lives. if life is what you make of it, then this next world/reality place should have been their second chance. and i really wanna touch that girl.

edit:
or shit. i just read through the thread, and apparently he doesn't come back? damn, who remembers this stuff. well then maybe i didn't like that they split the two up and gave her another chance over some technicality. upset we did not get a romantic ending between the two lead characters. anyways, i remember i was not happy with the ending and had a very specific idea of what would have been better.

Last edited:
I love love love that movie and feel not so much of an outsider and weirdo when I watch it. It makes me happy.
I love the first scene. My place looks like that when I'm depressed. I saw it the first time after a suicide attempt a lot like his that I lived through. I couldn't even think of what I did without shame and panic after it happened until I saw that movie. Now it makes me laugh. I tried to clean up like him but gave up and went on with the plan. Guess I'd rather die than be neat.