• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

undead

Greenlighter
ratings poll please! :)

any thoughts on this movie? it was just released this past march i believe. i'd never heard of it, but saw it on the bottom shelf at the video store. 2 copies, both unrented next to about 5 or 6 dozen copies of "what happens in vegas." naturally... wristcutters caught my attention as the cover looked so lighthearted, but the title was so abrasive. needless to say, i decided to rent it.

this movie was incredibly good (IMO). the dialogue was so fluid. patrick fugit (almost famous) was so good in it, shannyn sossamon (40 days and 40 nights... i want to marry her) was AMAZING in it, and shea whigham was absolutely lovable and hilarious.

the movie starts out as zia (patrick fugit) kills himself and takes place in the afterlife. he's stuck in a world where everyone has committed suicide (one way or another) and nobody can smile it's a sullen place to be sure. he's given hope though when he finds out that his pre-afterlife girlfriend committed suicide a month after he did and he sets out to find her with his russian friend (played by shea whigham), who he just met at a bar in this afterlife. they pick up a hitchhiker (shannyn sossamon) who's hell bent on finding the people in charge (PIC) because she's trying to get the FUCK outta that place.

anyone who likes eternal sunshine of the spotless mind should like this movie. it's got a similar feel to it and was (IMO) very well written and the acting was superb... and when i say superb... i mean spectacular!

NSFW:
the only part of the movie that i thought may be a bit over the top was the black hole in the car, but it was virtually irrelevant as really didn't play an integral part in the film and wasn't originally written into the short story 'kneller's happy campers.' and btw, this isn't really much of a spoiler, but i just don't want to give anything unnecessary away as this movie should be experienced!!!

Just watched this last night on the advice from my daughter - excellent movie. Probably will purchase since my teen and her friends love it.

^ like i said, i JUST rented it last night... and i bought it today. i haven't even returned the rented copy yet. :D

Aside from some solid performances from Shannyn and the russian dude, I thought the movie was far too emo. The whole "life sucks and I can't feel genuine emotion" schtick ran pretty thin.

i really dug it. i thought the concept was brilliant and original (to me at least, ive never come across such a thing), and the entire movie was highly entertaining and pretty damn funny. id really like to check out the graphic novel version, see whats up with that.

also, it didn't hurt that they prominently featured gogol bordello in it either!

Oooh, I see Azura Skye is in this.

That shallow part of my nature want s to see this now. :D

^ see it NOW!!!

ego_loss said:
Aside from some solid performances from Shannyn and the russian dude, I thought the movie was far too emo. The whole "life sucks and I can't feel genuine emotion" schtick ran pretty thin.

i KNEW that would get mentioned! :D

i have to say that i disagree though. the reason being that granted they committed suicide to get there in the first place, but it's not that they didn't WANT to smile and be happy, they wanted to, but it wasn't possible. emos can smile and usually don't have shit to actually be sad about, they were stuck in a shitty world with no way out... they're what emo wishes it was. :)

i should know too, cause i'm closet emo. =D

btw, i agree that those two were wonderful, but i also thought patrick fugit and the guy who played kneller were also really good.

You know what sucks? I rented this one time and it stayed on top of my tv until it had to be returned :(

ryanlaughlin said:
the guy who played kneller were also really good.

That would be the often under rated Tom Waits. Great singer, even better actor.

Saw this film a couple years ago at a Chicago film festival, it was fantastic. I remember LOVING it, I need to see it again though to refresh my memory on the details.

I remember being a little put off by the title of the film but the film itself makes up for it, its just a great story.

^ agreed. when i tell people about it, i always make sure to emphasize "it's not as dark as you would assume by the title... it's actually a comedy!" they usually get wide eyed and think "wtf!? oh."

and oh wow about that being tom waits! i didn't realize that. i knew he was in the movie, but i've never been that familiar with his stuff (though i've always been told he's one of the best songwriters) so i didn't recognize him at all. he really REALLY played his part well in this movie. he was so calm and cool and his lines rolled off about as naturally as they possibly could. shannyn sossamon (i know its already been said BUT...) also spewed her lines with the greatest of ease. she had me absolutely convinced (that i want to marry her). one of my favorite lines of the movie was when zia asked her (shortly after they first pick her up):

zia: you don't like it here?
mikal: are you joking? do you guys like it here? who the hell likes being stuck in a place where you can't even smile? it's hot as balls... everybody's an asshole... nu uh... i just wanna go home.

eugene: i'm not sitting in the back.
zia: why not?
eugene: cause, everybody knows the guy in the backseat doesn't have a cock.
zia: what???
eugene: that's fact. if the guy in the backseat had a cock, he wouldn't be back there in the first place.
zia: well... i mean, i got a cock man, so, umm... i'm not ... mik do you have a cock?
mikal: yeah... i have a cock... a big fat one.

it was mostly just that her fluency made he character seem so real and her dialogue (to me at least) made her sound like people i know and can relate to. the "...hot as balls and everyone's an asshole" thing was so the way i would have worded it! and the face she made when she said "i have a cock... a big fat one" was so funny. do want!

also not to ramble again, BUT...

(slight spoiler alert) it doesn't ruin the ending, but a really funny part early on.

NSFW:
the part when eugene's brother is telling him about the time he was gonna hang himself after losing the soccer game. when eugene talked him into coming down off the table... then SMACKS him in the face... that part was fucking HILARIOUS. :D

Last edited:
nyone who likes eternal sunshine of the spotless mind should like this movie
I didn't like that movie, but this one sounds interesting....will i still like it even if I hated ESOTSM?

yeah, i think so. i think it's different enough that you don't have to like one to like the other, and the styles of directing aren't so similar that you need to put them under a microscope. they just give you a similar feeling, IMO. they're both unique enough though that you could like one and hate the other all the same.

the main reason i use eternal sunshine as an example is because it's the only film i've seen that i could really liken "wristcutters" to as far as the surrealism and emotional spectrum go. :)

ryan where have you beeeeeeen?

I fucking told you about this movie!!!

hehehe... oopsies!!! sorry! i remember you telling me about a movie that i had to watch, but i didn't remember it being this one. :D

forgive me! and at least you know i LOVED your recommendation this way. =D

LoveAlways said:
I didn't like that movie, but this one sounds interesting....will i still like it even if I hated ESOTSM?

Yes, you will still like Wristcutters, I too HATE ESOTSM, like, more than anything in the world, Wristcutters however is an excellent film. Don't worry about how you feel about ESOTSM, it shouldn't effect your viewing of this movie.

i thought it was pretty dope, i love the concept, and tom waits as kneller was hilarious. we had to read the book of short stories that has the story its based on for a writing class i took a few years ago
ps - if anyones interested in reading the story its from a book called 'the bus driver who wanted to be god' by an israeli writer called etgar keret, the story is called 'knellers happy campers'

Last edited: