• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

cletus

Bluelight Crew
From IMDB:

An intense portrayal of elite soldiers who have one of the most dangerous jobs in the world: disarming bombs in the heat of combat. When a new sergeant, James, takes over a highly trained bomb disposal team amidst violent conflict, he surprises his two subordinates, Sanborn and Eldridge, by recklessly plunging them into a deadly game of urban combat. James behaves as if he's indifferent to death. As the men struggle to control their wild new leader, the city explodes into chaos, and James' true character reveals itself in a way that will change each man forever.

Now this is a film I thoroughly enjoyed. Intense & strangely exciting is the feelings I had throughout it. From the quiet lulls to the crazy action, I was quite mesmerized by it all.

Jeremy Renner, who plays Staff Sergeant William James, was brilliant as the new leader of the squad, with his carefree & dangerous approach to disarming bombs. Mental case.

Trailer

I saw this yesterday.

I think it might touch a nerve with people who have actually served (which I have not.) The acting was pretty spot on and the films pace and content kept me engaged the entire time. Its one of those movies that I'm not dying to watch again, but was very pleased with regardless.

I just finished watching this. I enjoyed it, and I think it was an excellent war movie. I gave it a 4. For me to give a movie a 5 it would have to be so good that it made me shit my pants. Not many movies do that. This movie was awesome but I didn't need a change of underwear after it.

One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Everything about it was on point - tense, exciting, subtle, well acted. It did justice to the source material - something very few war movies have accomplished. The scene near the end with the locks, if you saw it you know what I mean, damn that's one of the the craziest scenes I've ever seen in a movie. 5 stars.

Film: The Hurt Locker

Sorry if there is a thread for this already. I UTFSE and found a few mentions, but no dedicated thread.

Trailer>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GxSDZc8etg

I am not normally a war movie fan (Night of the Living Dead is more my preference) but I was amazed at how good it actually was. The Dialogue was good, it felt "real" and was just all around good. If you have not seen it yet I highly recommend it highly.

Poll please:)

Great movie. I loved the scene where they were in the snipers duel.

Will prolly win best picture this year.

I don't usually watch war films and if I do, I generally don't like them.

This, however, transcends it's genre beautifully.

Still I think it's slightly over-rated.

3.5 or 4/5

I don't usually watch war films and if I do, I generally don't like them.

This, however, transcends it's genre beautifully.

Still I think it's slightly over-rated.

3.5 or 4/5

I think it's being hyped so much because basically every other movie sucked so bad this year. I guess I haven't seen 'Up in the Air' but it didn't look like the next No Country for Old Men. :\

All the hype really underscored it for me. Even then, without it, I would of only given it a 3/4 max. That being said, it's a great movie, I'm very picky, and I bet it'll get film of the year if that Avatar crap doesn't.

You can always count on Renner to play a good fucked up character.

saw it last night. i also thoroughly enjoyed the movie. the scenes kept me tense it all the right ways, heart beating and stressed. especially when james had to disarm the IED in the charred car. sniper stand-off was fantastic and really showed james' true character.

although, i didnt like how it ended. yeah, i get it. but i dunno. could have been done a little better, i guess? i was having that "c'mon lets wrap it up feeling", ya know?

all in all, gave it a 4.

haha, and guy pierce. wonder how much he got paid. :eek:p

I've watched this movie 3 times in the last week (I've been sick, so sue me) and absolutely LOVE it. I guess there's a big stink over the way EOD soldiers are portrayed in the movie as being renegades and cowboys, but so fucking what? It's not meant to be an educational movie or documentary - it's entertainment.

The opening scene was awesome, as well as the UN building scene, sniper scene, and the scene with the bomb strapped to that dude. The ending could have been better, but was fitting.

Best Iraq/Middle East war movie I've seen. I'm looking forward to Green Zone next month.

^People are retards (oh really?)...ala the "big stink". The film doesn't even attempt to portray EOD operatives as wreckless. The main character who is an EOD character (out of many) happens to be wreckless. Fucking idiots. Not you, the people that are "angry at this flim"..lol

^People are retards (oh really?)...ala the "big stink". The film doesn't even attempt to portray EOD operatives as wreckless. The main character who is an EOD character (out of many) happens to be wreckless. Fucking idiots. Not you, the people that are "angry at this flim"..lol

Oh, I totally agree. Some people - mainly those who have intimate relationships with what is being shown in a movie, just like in this case - get really bent out of shape when the subject isn't portrayed 100% true to life, even though as you pointed out, it's just the one character that is reckless. But come on, how can people say that there aren't troops like that over there, troops with death wishes and a "fuck it if I die" attitude about the job they are doing? Troops that watched this movie and were interviewed about it said they loved the movie and thought the main character either (a) represented a mix of personalities found in the Army, or (b) represented a rare type of troop that can be compared to the main character.

It's a fucking movie. It's entertainment, and damn good entertainment at that. They should just appreciate it for what it is.

The opening scene and the sniper scene are unforgettable...

For sure. Excellent scenes.

Hurt Locker is looking good for taking out Avatar in the best picture category at the Oscars this year, too. That would be hella cool.

Last edited:
Man, imo you only join the ground forces of the military if you got something to prove or you have a death wish. I have a friend that's in the Army Rangers. He said he enjoyed the movie and it didn't bother him at all. What bothers him is thinking about some guy in his outfit that would piss on dead people. The dude even pissed in some Iraqi's skull and was laughing while he did it. That's abhorent.

EDIT: 3 reasons...the third being that the person has no idea what to do with their life.

4/5 stars from me. Thoroughly entertaining film and I'm not usually a huge war movie fan (with some old exceptions like Apocalypse Now).