Votes: 1 11.1%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
OK. I'm going to do a bit of research and come back with some factual errors for you.

Edit:

Here's the first thing that came up on a google search for "Michael Moore factual errors".

Have a read. It's not as concise (and not specific enough) an article as others I've read about his work.

There are an enormous number of critics who consider Moore to be a liar, it's not just the 'haters'.

I assume that you guys don't want to accept this and that you're not going to be convinced by this one link. So I will follow this up with a series of links, references and quotes that you can see for yourself.

The only conclusion that I can make is that people don't like him either stylistically or politically.

I don't like him ethically.

Last edited:
During a recent interview on "Late Show with David Letterman," the host identified the problems with the circumstantial argument of the film in a series of probing questions to Moore:

When you look at the film in total, are there things there - if I were smarter, could I refute some of these points? Shall I believe you that everything means exactly what it looks like? I mean, the presentation is overwhelming, but could a smarter man than me come in and say, "Yes, this happened, but it means nothing," "Yes, that happened but it means nothing"? But put together in a puzzle it creates one inarguable, compelling circumstance.
Moore's response to Letterman (after a joking aside) sums up the problem with his work. Despite proclamations that the film is satirical and represents his opinion, Moore still makes strong claims about its veracity:

You can't refute what's said in the film. It's all there, the facts are all there, the footage is all there.

From the link above, an interview between David Letterman and Michael Moore.

What is Letterman saying here with the "if I were smarter" comments.

Isn't he implying that Moore is manipulating those less intelligent than him by using half-truths/ film techniques, etc?

But then again Letterman's probably just a hater.

Why are there so man Michael Moore 'haters', I wonder.

Actually, it is productive, because you have to know what the flaws are before you can fix them. Believe it or not, America does have plenty of problems. Just because you don't experience them, that doesn't mean they don't exist or that they aren't worth looking at and fixing. A big flaw that America has, is that it has allowed these banks and corporations (and capitalism in general) to run free and basically rape and pillage the wealth of the country. Michael Moore is just highlighting that fact. Why do you have such a problem with that?

I don't have a problem with that. I'm all for free speech and public opinion.

It's the way he goes about it that bothers me.

SO WHAT if he is a millionaire? So what if he's done well in this system? That changes nothing and it's basically irrelevant.

Nobody is yet to respond to this question:

If he cares so much about his subject matter then why doesn't he use the profits from these films to help the people he's documenting?

This is a question that has been raised about a lot of different artists throughout history.

Particularly photographers. There have been countless photographers that have gone into third world environments and captured incredible imagery of very unfortunate situations from which they've then profited greatly and advanced their careers. It's not just third world countries obviously and it's not just photographers. It's just a good example.

His message is still true, even if it is coming from a hypocrite

It's not absolute truth. There are truths in the film but they are weaved together to become something else. Letterman said it better with his puzzle comment.

So he is a hypocrite?

And the fact that you are focusing on Moore instead of criticizing the content of the movie is very revealing. It says that you are not mentally capable of arguing with the message of the movie

What bothered me about the film is the same thing that bothers me about all of his films. So commenting about him seems appropriate.

Besides which I also made comments specifically about different parts of "Capitalism: A Love Story". I also asked questions that haven't been answered.

Why the interview with Wallace Shawn?

Why cut to the footage of naive 1950's housewives?

I'm not mentally incapable of discussing the film. The issue that I have with the film is not that it is anti-capitalism, it's the manipulative and misleading way in which he re-arranges facts.

By the way, Michael Moore didn't make his money by screwing people over, and that is why he's actually not a hypocrite for making this, and that is the difference between him and the bankers he is criticizing.

That is where we disagree. Michael Moore has built a career upon publicly shitting on other people. You just don't like the people he's 'screwed over'.

Besides, there is no one who can make this movie who isn't rich. It's not like people who are having their houses foreclosed on can pay a camera crew. Micheal Moore is just speaking up for the people who have no power to speak up for themselves.

My hero.

:)

And this might be surprising to some people, especially to extremist right wing capitalists, but some people actually have ethics and morals, and do not only care about their own self-interest. So, they will occasionally criticize something that they personally benefited from, and it is not a crime to do this.

It does come as a surprise that you are bringing up ethics and morals when defending Moore.

I realize that it's not a crime for Moore or anyone to criticize capitalism. But his critique is off. You can't re-arrange footage from old movies and propaganda films, people being evicted, Wallace Shawn, condo vultures, etc. and narrate over the top of it "This is Capitalism"

It's misleading.

This should be easier to accept than me saying that it's an outright lie.

He is misleading. Can we agree on that?

magine that I worked for Nazi Germany, I wasn't involved with any of the holocaust, but I was a very high ranking official in the government, and I had done very well under Nazism. But then I found out about the concentration camps, and left the country and started to publicly criticize Hitler. I bet you wouldn't do the same thing as you are doing now, saying that I shouldn't be speaking out against it, would you? You would say I was right to do it, even if I did do well under the Third Reich.

I don't see how that relates to Michael Moore. It's a bit of a stretch.

arnold, there's more to cubans going to the states than just healthcare. moore's film "sicko" in ONLY comparing health care systems.
Nice youtube link too. It kinda made me like moore just a little bit more.
The point I was trying to make is how can a country like that offer the facilities and service portrayed in Moore's movie to everybody all over Cuba and not just to paying foreign patients..

The average wage is what 15$ a month there?
Are you surprised they get given best treatment when they bring lotsa dollars in.

Godwin's Law

Godwin's Law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is a humorous observation made by Mike Godwin in 1990 which has become an Internet adage. It states: "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches" The term Godwin's law can also refer to the tradition that whoever makes such a comparison is said to "lose" the debate.

:D

this is the lowest form of an argumentative presentation that i have seen till date. It's like im watching a 10 year old try to regain some pride after getting owned. He tells us to go through what he googled, enough said about the credibility of that work hahahahhaa. The he tells us stories about his highschool stats professor and how he didn't like Moore either hahaahahaha. And finally, he uses Dave Letterman in his conclusion HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Is everyone rolling already hahahahahahahahahhahaa. This is humiliation at its finest. this thread should be closed now. The dave letterman part was just too much for my stomach, i can't take it im laughing my head off right now unbelievable desperation lol lmao.

Another valuable contribution to the discussion there.

Don't you feel like you're wasting your time?

If you're not willing to go to the article that yes I found on google (my god that must mean that it's garbage even though it was a published article in a newspaper and has it's sources) then you're not really willing to listen to my argument.

You're just stubbornly saying the same thing over and over again.

If you'd like to actual respond to anything that I've said rather than just saying haha haha like a 10 year old (oh sorry I'm the 10 year old, I forgot) please do so.

I've been reading a lot of other articles as well. His books have a much higher frequency of factual errors than his films, but his films still contain a substantial amount. He edited the DVD version of Bowling for Columbine after it's cinema run because off a factual error that he had to correct to avoid potential litigation.

Read about him yourself or remain in denial if you like.

I really don't care.

I did however ask you to keep your personal comments to PM. If you want to join the discussion, you're welcome to do so. But comments like the one above are just pointless.

I've been reading a lot of other articles as well. His books have a much higher frequency of factual errors than his films, but his films still contain a substantial amount. He edited the DVD version of Bowling for Columbine after it's cinema run because off a factual error that he had to correct to avoid potential litigation

If uve been researching so much about him, spit it out here, what are u getting owned for then? Tell us what u read about him, is that hard to do? tell us , we can all read, so tell us please, u haven't made one solid point, u would fail in school if u presented this to a professor. please give us solid info that we can't deny, we don't want to deny, we just want to know the facts, stop with weak stuff. stop with the "my teacher told me" or "my david letterman said", this is such kidish arguments. I don't know much about moore and therefore i ask u give me the reald deal stuff about him.

Read about him yourself or remain in denial if you like.

dude show us what u know. Impacto profundo and marsmellow have made very clear and convincing arguments that anyone can read and would agree with because they are factual. You haven't made one solid argument. stop getting slapped around my marsmellow and impacto profundo, they've owned u like no tommorrow. please teach us about moore, that is what this threads for now.

You refused to go to the link provided. I'll post more as I have time. There's two already. I'm not going to paste pages and pages of information on this thread. So you're going to have to click on links. In the meantime if you'd like to read what I've already posted (try to look past the google thing cause I'm not going to the State Library) and respond to that rather than just pretending that I didn't provide you with a link...

bro please stop putting links up, u don't see anyone else doing that. no one is gonna check ur links, provide us with arguments based on ur link but not the link itself, thats like me putting up a book and telling u this is my proof go read the 1000 pages. be realistic, u want to stop getting owned provide us with facts. Bring ur facts, otherwise keep getting owned.

If he really cared as much as his on screen persona does about the issues, then he would donate the profits of his films to charities that directly relate to the subject matter of his documentaries, right?

I'm not going to read any more of this thread, but ^this^ can't be overlooked. I don't know shit about Michael Moore nor have I watched any of his films, but if he truly does have all this money, then he needs to support some of the causes he appears to feel so strongly about. And maybe he does, I don't know. I think TD makes a lot of valid points, pending the facts are actually...well...valid. No sense is starting the "you're a crackhead" nonsense, though. That won't strengthen anyone's arguement.

Prodigycan, The links were requested by vegan. I don't have time to paraphrase them and I'm not going to fuck this thread up any more than it already is by cutting and pasting pages and pages of shit in here. If you'd like to know the truth about Moore and be open-minded, then click on them and read them. People are capable of clicking on links and they've worked for me in the past.

Stop sending me private messages and stop hijacking this thread for your own personal vendetta. Nobody cares about this owned/rocked bullshit except you.

if he truly does have all this money, then he needs to support some of the causes he appears to feel so strongly about.

Prodigycan, The links were requested by vegan. I don't have time to paraphrase them and I'm not going to fuck this thread up any more than it already is by cutting and pasting pages and pages of shit in here. If you'd like to know the truth about Moore and be open-minded, then click on them and read them. People are capable of clicking on links and they've worked for me in the past.

Stop sending me private messages and stop hijacking this thread for your own personal vendetta. Nobody cares about this owned/rocked bullshit except you.

first of all why are u getting angry u said u werent angry. Secondly, u told me to pm which can be confirmed from ur previous posts, why are u denying this in the same thread hahaha. thirdly, profundo and marsmellow owned u on this thread, everyone will unanimously agree on that so stop being pissed because they destroyed ur infant arguments against moore. Fourth, didn't people tell u not to ever smoke pot because it makes u dumb, this thread is a clear manifestation of that, read it to realize how miserably u failed in arguing ur beliefs. Fifth, Moore wins on this thread thanks to none other than u lol

I don't care. I'm not angry. You're just slightly annoying like a fly or a mosquito or something. Continue acting like a wanker if you like. Clearly everyone unanimously agrees with you, as you are some sort of argumentative genius. I am owned by everyone and everything. I am owned by the snail in my garden. Whatever, just stop repeating it over and over again. It's fucking boring me to tears. Go find something productive to do.

This is a short clip of Moore talking about "Capitalism: A Love Story" at a University in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwQ41Yo60og

Without editing he's not very impressive. He rambles on about different things, unrelated to the question posed, makes jokes, gets angry and overall fails to make any interesting or significant points whatsoever.

The student that asks him the question appears to have a better grasp of what he's talking about.