Votes: 2 6.7%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters
Clockwork Orange was awsome. One of the craziest movies I've ever seen. I was unaware of a book though. I'll have to try and find it so I can read it.

I bought that movie 2 weeks ago because my ex girlfriend liked it and every one else seemd to think it was great, so I purchased.

I honestly dont see whats so great about it. It's a good movie, just not great, in my opinion.

- Alex DeLarge (The main character) in unlikable and shady throughout the whole film
- The characters are not as depthful as can be as opposed to the politics of the message
- It's politics and a social message completely have nothing to do with the abstract stage design and art
- No psychological backround or awarness of what is drives Alex in the beginning
- I forgot to mention, POINTLESS NUDITY. If a film is going to have lots of nudity, it has to serve a purpose rather then eye candy for the hell of it

It's more of a political film rather then art and human depth. It's like watching an artful presentation of a political debate on CNN.

Chaos Butterfly said:
As usual the book shits all over the movie, however the movie is fantastic. This just goes to show how good the book is :)

CB :)

So true :)

By the way don't watch Kubrick's version of the shining because he totally Butchers it. It is definately his worst movie... Read the book or watch the television version Stephen King directed...

Edvard Munch said:
I bought that movie 2 weeks ago because my ex girlfriend liked it and every one else seemd to think it was great, so I purchased.

I honestly dont see whats so great about it. It's a good movie, just not great, in my opinion.

- Alex DeLarge (The main character) in unlikable and shady throughout the whole film
- The characters are not as depthful as can be as opposed to the politics of the message
- It's politics and a social message completely have nothing to do with the abstract stage design and art
- No psychological backround or awarness of what is drives Alex in the beginning
- I forgot to mention, POINTLESS NUDITY. If a film is going to have lots of nudity, it has to serve a purpose rather then eye candy for the hell of it

It's more of a political film rather then art and human depth. It's like watching an artful presentation of a political debate on CNN.

And what do you think the social and political message of this movie is Edvard?

So, I tried to watch 2001 a while ago (like when I was 15) and I thought that it was utter crap. 10 years later, do you think I should give it another go? I mean is it entertaining at all or is it just the direction that everyone wow's about? Cheers

sOn said:
damn it is up there. i never knew he directed full metal jacket. the beginning of that movie is nice but then i think after that it just gets boring
I wouldn't use the adjective 'nice' to describe the introduction to 'Full metal jacket.' Its beginning was certainly very amusing with some great one one liners. It really makes me want to join the army and go through boot camp!!!*sarcastic laugh8) .

*=Regulator=* said:
And what do you think the social and political message of this movie is Edvard?

If I thought about it enough, Id come up with idea's, but as for now ... the fuck I know the message is.

^^^
The fact that our youth and youthful actions are merely a phase that humanity goes through.

In the end we all need to grow up.

(that's in short)

---

That wasn't illustrated in the movie, but that was the author's message, as he's said himself. The last chapter of the book is what makes it apparent, as Alex sees one of the members of his old gang in a coffee shop with a wife and smiling and dressed up good and making a good life for himself. Alex sees this and realizes that his violent tendencies and need for mischeif were just a part of his life that has now passed...the "moral" of the book.

Last edited:
I voted for "Full Metal Jacket" as my fave. A clockwork orange would probably be my second fave...it is so disturbing and weird, but the main character is HOT! And he (the actor) and I have the same b-day. ;)

what was once one of my favorite movies, i can't watch a clockwork orange anymore because of the rape scenes.

:(

What I liked the most about A Clockwork Orange was the ability to be shocking by being subtle.
There is very little swearing in the film and Alex and his droogs appear to be very nice guys on the outside. If only Tarantino had the wit and intelligence to make such a film.

I think that he fact that the NY times editor decided in 1962 (i think) that the last chapter took away from the book kinda shows the attitude of the United States. Oh yeah, and all of the books are the full version now. Great Book, Great Movie but the book explains more in depth (as books do) and gets the message across better.

film: Has anyone seen clockwork orange?

In the beginning of the movie ClockWork Orange the four thugs where drinking milk mixed with some drug, the drug makes the act ultra violent. what is the drug? thank you.

errr. my guess number one is that this should be in the movie discussion channel, but i would imagine there are some non-drug users within that channel.

guess number two:

if there is no direct or indirect reference to what it is, then no one except for Kubrick knows what it was intended to be. one could guess PCP as it has been known in rare enough cases to cause violent breakouts. but who knows.

judging by the movie, i would imagine no one knows. i have seen it a handful of times, and i still do not understand very much of it. i am usually very good at movie and song analysis, but this is one of the few that has stumped me.

A VERY GOOD MOVIE INDEED!

peace,
univerz.

ps. i dont see this post sticking around for much longer :)

I don't recall exactly, but the dialogue in the movie made reference to.... of fuck it

*google*

OK here is an excert from the script:

"ALEX (V.O.)
There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie and Dim and we sat in the Korova milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Korova Milk Bar sold milkplus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence. Our pockets were full of money so there was no need on that score, but, as they say, money isn't everything.|"

Ficticious I believe.

~C

i beleive "drencrom" is an allusion to adrenchrome, the substance that doctor duke was ingesting in "fear and loathing in las vegas". i would guess that the effects would be similar to methamphetamines or some other accelerant....hence "this would sharpen you up and get you ready for a bit of the old....ultraviolence"

The Korova Milk Bar sold milkplus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom which is what we were drinking.

i agree with the "drencrom" more than likely being an adrenochrome alias.
i would imagine "synthemesc" is referring to synthetic mescaline.

as for "vellocet", i have no idea. the only thing that rings a bell is the "cet" being in various narcotics.

peace,
univerz.

EvilKoreKlown666 said:
i beleive "drencrom" is an allusion to adrenchrome, the substance that doctor duke was ingesting in "fear and loathing in las vegas".

i thought clockwork was written before fear and loathing?

clockwork orange was written in 1963, and i doubt the drugs in the book are really meant to be anything, no matter what their names are.