• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Fever hours after taking opioids?

Anikle

Greenlighter
Quick question, is it normal to have a skyrocketing fever (100-104 F) a few hours after 40-80mg of oxycodone use? Might it just be exacerbating a condition (such as covid) or is this something that happens? Never have I heard of this, but it seems to be a clear pattern the last week. Just need some insight since my google brings me to nothing but sponsored rehabs and crap results.

google brings me to nothing but sponsored rehabs
Right? WTF?
Welcome to BL.
Glad you found this site on google. lol Lot's of diggin'?
Almost sounds like withdrawal, IMO. Are they legit pills? Not pressed and found at the store or neighbors?
I'm going to see what others may opine and maybe chime in again inna bit.
Hope you can relax a minute and get comfortable.
be well and we'll see what is going on, no?
One,
Ptah

How long have you been taking them? Has it happened every time you’ve taken them?

There can be drug induced fever which could point towards hypersensitivity to the drug you’re taking and can resemble an allergic type reaction.

Right? WTF?
Welcome to BL.
Glad you found this site on google. lol Lot's of diggin'?
Almost sounds like withdrawal, IMO. Are they legit pills? Not pressed and found at the store or neighbors?
I'm going to see what others may opine and maybe chime in again inna bit.
Hope you can relax a minute and get comfortable.
be well and we'll see what is going on, no?
One,
Ptah

Yeah, theyre legit for sure. It sounded like withdrawal, but like I'm talking 2-3 hours after taking them + Kratom is on hand, don't use enough to actually get withdrawals that kratom doesn't control.

How long have you been taking them? Has it happened every time you’ve taken them?

There can be drug induced fever which could point towards hypersensitivity to the drug you’re taking and can resemble an allergic type reaction.
I've been taking these specific one and off for a year? and it just started last week.

That'd be interesting, been using on and off since 2012, never have had this problem. But I had myself thinking I had covid, until I realized the only time I get a fever is 3ish hours after those. I understand allergies can develop later on in life, it's just weird it would be fine one week, bad the next.

Quick Edit: I went to ER yesterday because with the covid concerns, my fever was 104.4 and doctor was freaked out. I don't know if its a combination of things, but my blood pressure was perfect, all my bloodwork was fine. Just a fever. And I do have slight breathing issues for 10 days which is what led me to think covid, but still no fever unless I agitate it with ocs

Last edited:
Yeah, theyre legit for sure. It sounded like withdrawal, but like I'm talking 2-3 hours after taking them + Kratom is on hand, don't use enough to actually get withdrawals that kratom doesn't control.

That'd be interesting, been using on and off since 2012, never have had this problem. But I had myself thinking I had covid, until I realized the only time I get a fever is 3ish hours after those. I understand allergies can develop later on in life, it's just weird it would be fine one week, bad the next.

Quick Edit: I went to ER yesterday because with the covid concerns, my fever was 104.4 and doctor was freaked out. I don't know if its a combination of things, but my blood pressure was perfect, all my bloodwork was fine. Just a fever. And I do have slight breathing issues for 10 days which is what led me to think covid, but still no fever unless I agitate it with ocs
It’s hard to say, but I’d be stopping them and seeing if the fever returns. If it doesn’t you have your answer and I wouldn’t advise using them again if so as it’s an adverse reaction which could escalate into an allergic response. Edited to add especially as you’re experiencing breathing issues.

I'm talking 2-3 hours after taking them + Kratom
It is my belief that one either uses kratom or traditional opioids as they tend to screw with each other in the same time period as dosing. Or did I take this outta context? I would get some serious issues (personally; just my experiences) if on moderate to high dose of opi and any dose of kratom. Just something that just "clashes" IME. YMMV.
Just feelin this out, OK? No pre-judgements (or any for that matter) not sure what else may be involved, ya know?

It is my belief that one either uses kratom or traditional opioids as they tend to screw with each other in the same time period as dosing. Or did I take this outta context? I would get some serious issues (personally; just my experiences) if on moderate to high dose of opi and any dose of kratom. Just something that just "clashes" IME. YMMV.
Just feelin this out, OK? No pre-judgements (or any for that matter) not sure what else may be involved, ya know?
The kratom I usually use 7-10hrs later whenever I feel I need to start using it again, I won't do them at the same time. But i've been kinda operating this way for at least a year no problems at all. Kratom by itself won't cause any bad feelings, but when I do get the fever, its chills, body aches, shakes, all the bad stuff.

Another wonder i have is are you taking a different brand than you’re used to?
Same kratom, same pharma as usual. Fever will usually return and last for 4-8 hours after it begins. I felt like kinda shit during the week in between doses also, so I don't know if the ocs are just pushing the fever higher than it would be normally, or if it is the entire cause of the fever in the first place. I did get tested for Corona should have an answer in 24-48 hrs from now, but I don't know.

Can you try not to take them or would you go into withdrawals?

Nope, I'm fine now haven't had any in like 36 hours. But I really only get like 60-100mg 1 to 2 times a week at most, if I'm lucky so when after I do them, I just switch back to Kratom without problems. So like right now I'm fine, but I would like to get more later tonight lol just trying to figure out if its going to throw me back into a crazy fever

Are you scripted them? Because it would be something to mention to your dr. I honestly can’t tell you that it’s 100% an adverse reaction to them and there may be something else going on that needs investigating. I would advise stopping them though if you do get a fever again.

Are you scripted them? Because it would be something to mention to your dr. I honestly can’t tell you that it’s 100% an adverse reaction to them and there may be something else going on that needs investigating. I would advise stopping them though if you do get a fever again.
Will give it a go tonight, because I'm wreckless and if anything it'll get me quarantined another 2 weeks off work :D but yeah I have no idea. I'm not scripted but have been in the past without issue, no known allergies at all either. I feel fine right now, 98.3 F temp so if the fever comes back after I'm going to know for sure.

I'm not scripted but have been in the past without issue,...
This is what makes me feel that maybe (as PD so aptly put it):
there may be something else going on that needs investigating.
Drug-induced hyperthermia may be something to look into as well cause it would appear that some opiods have a more intense WD and shorter half-life (say fentanyl for instance) and can contribute to the "fever". This is only a hypothesis as not convinced... would need more investigation, no doubt.
If the pills in question are indeed OCs, there would be no issue? Possibly?
Would absolutely love to piss-test ya just for confirmation or dispelling the whole theory outright. Not an agent of any state or federal agency... just harm reduction on my turf.
Still watching and adjusting my thoughts as needed. Shits got me on the edge of my seat... what does that say. LOL
Peace

This is what makes me feel that maybe (as PD so aptly put it):

Drug-induced hyperthermia may be something to look into as well cause it would appear that some opiods have a more intense WD and shorter half-life (say fentanyl for instance) and can contribute to the "fever". This is only a hypothesis as not convinced... would need more investigation, no doubt.
If the pills in question are indeed OCs, there would be no issue? Possibly?
Would absolutely love to piss-test ya just for confirmation or dispelling the whole theory outright. Not an agent of any state or federal agency... just harm reduction on my turf.
Still watching and adjusting my thoughts as needed. Shits got me on the edge of my seat... what does that say. LOL
Peace
I will piss test myself out of curiosity, the only problem with this theory is once I am in a fever mode, no matter how much more oc i take the fever stays. Im literally getting more now going to do like 10mg and wait for 3 hours to see if i spontaneously combust l. Will report back

Update: I was good off 10mg nothing happened for 2hrs, took 50 mg more - fever starting to rise up. What the fuck?

only problem with this theory
My bad. I unintentionally left out that drug induced hyperthermia can result from the use of the opioid (or most any drug... specially stimulants) in question. Wds can bring it on (the fever) and do not know why I left out the other part... sorry; musta been on drugs or something. :eek:
I was just opining that if doctor prescribed OCs do not have this effect then by reason something must be amiss in the composition of the med, ya know? Either that or ones physical make-up has morphed... which does happen.
Hope to hear back on any tests performed as would absolutely love to get to the bottom of this.
One,
Ptah

My bad. I unintentionally left out that drug induced hyperthermia can result from the use of the opioid (or most any drug... specially stimulants) in question. Wds can bring it on (the fever) and do not know why I left out the other part... sorry; musta been on drugs or something. :eek:
I was just opining that if doctor prescribed OCs do not have this effect then by reason something must be amiss in the composition of the med, ya know? Either that or ones physical make-up has morphed... which does happen.
Hope to hear back on any tests performed as would absolutely love to get to the bottom of this.
One,
Ptah

Going to actually get the same item from a source I can verify is legit and try again to narrow down if its the source. I'm getting really tired of shaking with 103 all night so pray for me lol. Only thing i can think of is, im still waiting fir my covid test to come back and if im positive, perhaps the opiates are making it hard for my body to regulate its temp?

Quick thought for anyone still here: i dont have any other symptoms and my blood work was good but does serotonin syndrome fit this?

How are you taking them? If you're injecting this is consistent with a reaction to bacterial contamination.

But of course, intermittent fever is also consistent with covid. People report fever coming and going even if not on anything.

Just to finish this thread up - Covid test came back positive. I was essentially asymptomatic except when using opiates. Pretty fucking wild. Between first night and 10 days later the only time I had a fever was 3 or so hours after using. Once i stopped, fever and symptoms gone. I would have never gone to the doctor if i hadnt got a fever from using which is interesting. I was hospitalized at one point when it got so high i was on the border of 105 fever in a walk in clinic.

Just wanted to update so you all can see the covid interaction. Ive been using for a long time on and off and ive NEVER experienced a fever like that (intensity and strength).

Be safe BL