• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Fentanyl Vaccine Breakthrough – Potential “Game Changer” for Opioid Epidemic

cdin

Moderator: H&R; Discord Sr. Staff
Staff member

Fentanyl Vaccine Breakthrough – Potential “Game Changer” for Opioid Epidemic

University of Houston
Sci Tech Daily
14 Nov 2022

Excerpt:
A new vaccine has been developed that targets the dangerous synthetic opioid fentanyl that could block its ability to enter the brain, thus eliminating the drug’s “high.” The breakthrough discovery could have major implications for the nation’s opioid epidemic by becoming a relapse prevention agent for people trying to quit using opioids. While research reveals Opioid Use Disorder (OUD) is treatable, an estimated 80% of those dependent on the drug suffer a relapse. The vaccine was developed by a research team led by the University of Houston.

Published recently in the journal Pharmaceutics, the findings could not be timelier or more in demand: Over 150 people die every day from overdoses of synthetic opioids including fentanyl, which is 50 times stronger than heroin and 100 times stronger than morphine. Consumption of about 2 milligrams of fentanyl (the size of two grains of rice) is likely to be fatal depending on a person’s size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently it does not affect endogenous opioids or morphine, oxycodone etc. If true it would make it a selective fentanyl blocking system. What does everyone think?
I think if it were used only consensually it could do a lot of good. but i have low hopes for healthcare/LE to not weaponize this in some fashion. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
idk, this sounds like it could backfire with auto-immune disorders or something. What's it do to people already vaxxed for other things, or people who get other vaccinations in the future?

The vaccine tested contains an adjuvant derived from E. coli named dmLT. An adjuvant molecule boosts the immune system’s response to vaccines

My worry is that such a vaccine works by acting as a "sink" binding up fentanyl molecules so they don't bind at receptors simply shifting the dose response curve (there's mouse data where they show a general shifting of the dose response curve. Idk if it's from this team, but ive seen data from a different group). There would be a dose where there fentanyl molecules than antibodies and then the dose response would be again as steep as fentanyl is.

I think such a vaccine could be lifesaving for drug users who do not use fentanyl and want a stronger safeguard against contamination, but if somebody is already using fentanyl, i expect trouble.

Also i would worry about a false sense of security, when it isn't known how broadly these vaccines would protect against various fentanyl analogs, and they certainly wouldn't protect from other harmful opioids like the nitazenes.

theres a lot of what ifs here to be sure. imo it would need a LOT of testing through all those kind of circumstances. somehow i doubt it will be as useful as they think

There are so many things to consider with this, but someone seems to be on the right track.

Then people try to overcome it with a bigger dose...
I completely agree with this. I think the idea of a vaccine to prevent (or at least help prevent) overdose is amazing, but I really fear that people will keep pushing and pushing limits until forever. The game of cat and mouse never ends.

I think such a vaccine could be lifesaving for drug users who do not use fentanyl and want a stronger safeguard against contamination, but if somebody is already using fentanyl, i expect trouble.

Exactly.

Seems more like a weapon than a vaccine from my point of view. So if someone is an addict, would they no longer be offered ORT/MMT? No more subs? Just take away their ability to enjoy their DOC then say "fuck off, find another drug to fill that hole in your soul; and btw, it can't be an illegal opioid!"

Yeah that doesn't sound great. If I ever do want to go onto subs I want that option. This sounds like it'll just push the cartels to start selling even more potent analogues that skirt such a 'vaccine'.

Ok now do etinazine, u47000, and all the other designer opioids being invented by the second.

This is in the infancy levels of development and we won't see any real product in our lifetime....likely never because it's just too complex.

who the fuck wants a vaccine from being able to experience analgesia...good luck if you ever need surgery or are dying and in pain.

Last edited:
yea seems a bit misleading. Ill stick to reagent testing for now i spose. actually im on sub and out of that world but if not reagent testing until a couple decades of ppl swear by it.

Ok now do etinazine, u47000, and all the other designer opioids being invented by the second.

This is in the infancy levels of development and we won't see any real product in our lifetime....likely never because it's just too complex.

who the fuck wants a vaccine from being able to experience analgesia...good luck if you ever need surgery or are dying and in pain.

This.. Quoted for Truth!! +1

If true it would make it a selective fentanyl blocking system
Honestly it seems too good to be true, I don't believe such a specific technology can be done yet, without wrecking other systems/subsystems in the "general" metabolic pathways.
Seems sketchy to me, and I wouldn't use that nor recommend it, till serious long term studies (including anecdotal evidence) are done.
I think it's pretty dangerous to that kind of "vaccines" that can end up making one unable to get pleasure from exogenous sources,
I mean, if they can do that it would be super dangerous.

Imagine a dystopic society on which people are born (or baby vaccinated) with desensitized receptors that only allows them to get pleasure from a State Rx called Soma.....
rings any bell?

It could mean the Mexicans will need a new product.... and with all the research, I have a few.

lmao how would that even work without completely destroying your opioid receptors? how could you destroy opioid receptors without completely fucking the rest of your endorphins? screwing around with brain chemistry will cause more harm than good. this seems like bullshit, regardless. that's not even remotely how vaccines work, and lobotomies have been out of fashion for quite a while now.

I believe the stuff works just like the methamphetamine and cocaine vaccines. It very specifically targets a specific small molecule using an amino-acid residue. It won't even block other opioids.

Where there is money, there is greed. Where there is greed, there is grime. The War on Drugs is a war on human life. The war will never end because people will
continue to experience trauma and continue to use drugs as a coping mechanism. I am wary now of pharmaceutical companies and the scientists behind them.
Ever since the Sacklers got away with literal murder and a staggering amount of money.

One could argue that at least an 80mg OxyContin contained 80mg of oxycodone. Not so for street drugs. Mexico has the perfect storm. US doctors suddenly not prescribing opioids (although they did prescribe x10 per capita in the UK - so 'overprescribe' is more accurate) and NOT helping people who were dependent.

I am AMAZED that the Mexicans have stuck with fentanyl. There are many options - some even longer acting than OxyContin so people would pay crazy money. But it seems they just want to get the maximum number of users before driving up the price.

There are also some very sneaky structures that would not be covered by the Federal Analog Act. Someone could make a FORTUNE selling (for example) a butorphanol (schedule 4) analog that is some x600M and lasts for 12 hours. It's not even more work to make....

But I suspect that they aren't 'big' on research chemists.

One could argue that at least an 80mg OxyContin contained 80mg of oxycodone. Not so for street drugs. Mexico has the perfect storm. US doctors suddenly not prescribing opioids (although they did prescribe x10 per capita in the UK - so 'overprescribe' is more accurate) and NOT helping people who were dependent.

I am AMAZED that the Mexicans have stuck with fentanyl. There are many options - some even longer acting than OxyContin so people would pay crazy money. But it seems they just want to get the maximum number of users before driving up the price.

There are also some very sneaky structures that would not be covered by the Federal Analog Act. Someone could make a FORTUNE selling (for example) a butorphanol (schedule 4) analog that is some x600M and lasts for 12 hours. It's not even more work to make....

But I suspect that they aren't 'big' on research chemists.
I don't think they are big on any research at all. But China is.
It's weaponized dope. If you can think of it as that then the details that really make no sense to us then become clear.
Unfortunately I think the worst is yet to come.
The Mexies are not alone in this . They get the chemicals from China exclusively.
The fentanyl is being produced and distributed by only a few (literally) and what happens when they stop supplying the supply?
Something that keeps me up at night...