• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Feel Like Life’s Pointless?

I feel sorry for people that go to 9 to 5 shit jobs every day for their whole life to pay bills and pay mortgages and car payments and then get cancer and die.

That is a fkn hell existence to me.

I preface this by saying I am not a nihilist, I despise nihilism and think it is a cancer of the mind.

However, I do believe life is also inherently pointless, or more accurately; life is absurd. Both meaningless and meaning exist simultaneously. This universe's natural state is chaos and absurdity. Meaning and purpose can be found within the absurd chaos, but the chaos on a whole is meaningless. Yin and Yang.

The purpose of life is subjective and whatever you want it to be. It's the search that drives us, it's the search that binds us.

I think the average person believes that the meaning of life will just come to them and fall in their lap one day. That's like trying to understand the plot of a book by using it as a pillow, but never actually reading it. The purpose of life is actively manufactured, not gifted to you.

In essence, I think that the meaning of life is to search for the meaning of life. The existential journey. The universe became self aware when it created you, now your job is to find out why. Write your story.

"What was I doing here? What was the meaning of this trip? Was I just roaming around in a drug frenzy of some kind? Or had I really come out here to Las Vegas to work on a story?" - Raoul Duke

Yin Yang Loop GIF by yux
are you into Albert Camus? If you haven t read his stuff I m sure you ll like it

It's been well covered but yes, life is essentially "meaningless". We are here by accident. I recommend reading some of Camus' works, the main philosophical work dealing with this topic being 'The Myth of Sysiphus' (sp?) which uses the legend or whatever of Sysiphus pushing a huge rock up a hill, it rolling down and then him pushing it back up. Why? It's an allegory for why we continue to live through a painful existence without ending it. As far as I remember, like existentialism with which Camus is associated but who didn't use the label himself, the point is to create your own meaning and to find reasons to live. Easier said than done of course but the point really is that many people have tackled this subject, especially after WW2 and those horrors experienced by humanity. Existentialists and Camus and other writers were influenced by prior philosophers like Nietzsche who said in 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra': "God is dead, what have we done to overcome him?" in the prior century and who the Nazis tried to coopt but who was misappropriated. The question became relevant and even though people still find solace in religion, if it isn't for you and if you find life to be pointless, it doesn't mean that you are unable to find meaning, create meaning and/or simply enjoy it as it is when possible.

"Life ain't nothin' but bitches and money"

Wise words from NWA.

Meaning that life is largely about your relationships with your loved ones, especially romantic partners, as well as acquiring the resources one needs to function and sustain themselves.

Life is about the people you love and are close to.

It is also about being able to function and survive.

These two things are in essence, the backbone of what we call life.

you're a small part of the big picture and you have an effect on everybody around you - and it's the little things - like you just happened to be there with a pair of jumper cables for the tweekers with a dead bateery, stuck in the old grocery store parking lot that closed 2 years ago

things like that
I ain't helping a couple of tweekers, that has bad written all over it.