• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Favourite Philosophers?

alex12345

Greenlighter
so guys, who are your favourite philosophers and why? does anyone know of any contemporary philosophers that i could check out? ive been listening to alot of alan watts but i'd like to find some other philosophers too. cheers

Russell & Wittgenstein should be at the top of all math guys' lists.

Just to be cool, I'd like to throw in Pythagoras and Zeno.

Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, George Berkeley (Similar to the mind-only school of thought called Yogacara in Tibetan Buddhism)... does Buddha count?

Depends, what kind of philosophy do you mean?

I'm into continental philosophy and social theory - Nietzsche, Foucault, Derrida, Deleuze, that kind of thing.

Depends how much time and effort you're willing to spend as well. For example Foucault is pretty readable, Nietzsche is deceptive (easy to read, hard to understand), Derrida is very difficult and Deleuze requires a lot of background knowledge and is also very difficult.

The existentialists like Satre, Nietzsche and Kierkegaard are probably my biggest faves, because their philosophies are the closest to my own worldview. But I also enjoyed studying the British empiricists like Locke, Berkeley, and Hume. All very interesting.

Alan Watts for sure.

Nietzsche. Kant. Wittgenstein. Russell. Would Socrates and Aristotle be too cliche?

The existentialists like Satre, Nietzsche and Kierkegaard are probably my biggest faves, because their philosophies are the closest to my own worldview. But I also enjoyed studying the British empiricists like Locke, Berkeley, and Hume. All very interesting.

Nietzsche isn't an existentialist.

Nietzsche isn't an existentialist.

Well, I was using the word "existentialist" very loosely. He may not have been an existentialist himself, per se, but his work was definitely one of the foundations for the existential movement in the 20th century.

Ditto...

Deleuze's books are potent psychedelics in text form <3

Is anyone else here into Deleuze? I'd love to start a Deleuze thread but I didn't think anyone would respond. Deleuze is the hardest philosopher I've ever encountered - heaps of assumed knowledge, intellectually narcissistic writing style, revolutionary ideas...

Because he fucked up epistemology forever with his mind/body dualism.
Perhaps, but his evil demon has pretty much dominated epistemology since he thought of it. I like Kant, Plato (apart from all that crazy stuff in the Republic), and Laurence BonJour is a pretty good modern philosopher.