• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Fast Kratom withdrawl - expired Clonidine

Nickotime

Greenlighter
Hey guys, long time lurker but first time posting from this account.

I have a surgery coming up in about 9 days for which I would like to be off kratom. I was on 15-18 grams per day for about 2 years, and I have tapered down over a month or so to about 4-6 gpd this last week. My question is this: I have some expired Clonidine (bottle says expired 4/22/17) that I would like to take if necessary to combat any sweating, rls, etc that arises when I jump off tomorrow or Monday.

Has anyone ever taken expired clonidine or know of any reason that it would be dangerous? I'm not worried about lost potency, only any potential health risks. Any help would be gladly welcomed!

Thanks guys!

Hey guys, long time lurker but first time posting from this account.

I have a surgery coming up in about 9 days for which I would like to be off kratom. I was on 15-18 grams per day for about 2 years, and I have tapered down over a month or so to about 4-6 gpd this last week. My question is this: I have some expired Clonidine (bottle says expired 4/22/17) that I would like to take if necessary to combat any sweating, rls, etc that arises when I jump off tomorrow or Monday.

Has anyone ever taken expired clonidine or know of any reason that it would be dangerous? I'm not worried about lost potency, only any potential health risks. Any help would be gladly welcomed!

Thanks guys!
Also, I do know that most meds are just fine passed their dates on the bottle, just wondering if anyone had experience with this one in particular.

Well most small molecule compounds like clonidine/most medicines are very stable and work way beyond their dates. They just put short dates to make more profit. In one test, Aspirin made for WWII was still good in the 1990 or something like that. This doesn't degrade easily, and if it does, the degradation compounds might be harmless (correct me if I'm wrong). I'd try one and see if it brings relief. If not, discard them and try something else. I personally wouldn't care about a few years with medicine.

Yet for Kratom withdrawal a SSRI might be more or similar effective to clonidine and have less side effects, clonidine can be bed-locking at low dosages already, the (orthostatic) hypotensive effects are real and strong, beta blockers are nothing in comparison. But of course it's an effective aid against RLS and similar stuff from withdrawal. But keep in mind that kratom is only a partial agonist at the relevant mu opioid receptor (also good to know to avoid nocebo!) while it additionally interacts with various serotonin and dopamine receptors. At dopamine it's mainly an antagonist which will more lead to acute than withdrawal side effects but the potential of serotonergic stuff leading to withdrawal, restlessness in particular at least, is real. I'm on paroxetine and didn't get any withdrawals from (short-time) kratom use, while I got withdrawal from morphine.

Oh, if you can get it, the best aid for opioid-ish withdrawal is imo memantine, followed by or accompanied with pregabalin. These two allowed me to painlessly quit 600mg/d morphine and memantine's use for withdrawal is backed by scientific evidence available on PubMed. It might augment your chances of a prescription to show the relevant articles to an open minded doctor. Imo it's a shame that this compound has still no outsight to an approbation for withdrawal.

I really appreciate the in depth reply! It's very insightful and I can tell you know your stuff, which is what I've always appreciated about BL.

It seems like the restlessness is my only huge issue this time, coupled with fatigue and sneezing. I've been thru much worse, but I am on a time crunch and looking to get thru this as painlessly as possible. I don't mind a bit of bed lock as I have nothing to do for the next couple days other than prepare for surgery on the 7th.

I will likely give it a go and see if it helps if I need to, unless anyone posts an experience of something similar going badly.

Thanks so much.