• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

EXPERIMENT: slow steady long-duration nasal Ritalin administration

Will miss Tram :(

Bluelighter
EXPERIMENT: time/dose controlled release of drugs via nasal/rectal routes

THE REASON BEHIND THE EXPERIMENT:

I'm a medical student who suffer from severe adult ADHD-inattentive type,

I need to be on meds to be able to study.
I have to study between 10-12 hrs daily to pass exams.

In my country ordering meds from online pharmacies is forbidden by customs, even with a legit national prescription.

The only available ADHD med in our country is Ritalin (immediate release), which is not compatible with my needs, since it gives short durations of overpowered stimulation,
while I need mild effects but long durations.

And no, Ritalin SR or Concerta or Adderall is not available.
The one and only med in entire country = simple immediate release Ritalin 10mg pills.

=========================
THE THEORY:

1. Dissolving 60mg of Ritalin pills in water,
2. Pouring the solution into an empty IV bottle,
3. Attaching a drip chamber,
5. Connecting the end tail of tube to a two-way nasal catheter,
6. Attaching cotton balls or nasal tampons to two ends of nasal catheter,
7. Inserting into nose,
8. Adjusting the drip flow to suit nasal absorption rate, to avoid runny nose.

The fluid inside the tube soaks the tampon/cotton and gets absorbed by the nasal mucous membrane.

I just wear the setup at home, and begin studying, while receiving 10 hours of constant steady levels of the med, no rush no crash anymore.

===================
THE BENEFITS:
The bioavailability of oral methylphenidate is about 30% while it is up to 95% via nasal route.
That means my prescriptions will last longer,
very important since the refills are very expensive here.

This method has all the benefits of snorting (rapid onset, bypassing first pass metabolism) without the RUSH, short duration, and the nasty CRASH.

I will try it soon.
I wrote this guide to help any other ADHD sufferers living under the same pharmaceutical limitations as me.

Last edited:
Where are you located approximately? I had issues acquiring Amphetamines when I was in Iraq, but there was plenty of Methylphenidate to be had.

I think your idea is very convoluted. I had a similar idea for Cocaine, which I really love but also detest due to the short duration. I was going to make a solution, put it into a standard 1L IV bag and adjust the flow rate to essentially make Cocaine into a steadier, longer-lasting drug. It can be done, but it's just going to be difficult to actually pull it off in your instance. You have many variables at play here.

I always say this sort of thing, but the rectal bioavailability of Methylphenidate is higher than oral as well. If you're already willing to get real aggro with your situation, then you might like my next suggestion. Make a solution of Methylphenidate in say 10-20ml of water/saline. Acquire a syringe with a luer-lock or similar style of connector and put your solution into said syringe. Acquire a length of IV tubing. Hook your Methylphenidate saturated solution w/ syringe up to one end and insert the other end of the tubing about 2 inches into your rectum.

There's no reason why you can't leave it there for the course of a study session, although you should probably have a bowel movement before starting the process to avoid fecal interference. Now you have a volumetric means of accurately adminstering your Methylphenidate without sacrificing bioavailability. Just an idea. This wouldn't be hard to pull off at all, especially for a medical student.

Wow, you just expanded my creativity point tenfolds! tnx!
That way it's much simpler to adjust the dose/duration.

I'm in the middle of studying,
I will update the OP and include any ideas you guys post in your replies for the sake of being neat and indexed.

I also keep improving the nasal route, since some people would be uncomfortable with the rectal route due to having roommates present.

I decided to use just one nostril, to avoid having to breath through the mouth.
Since that results in dry mouth, which causes serious tooth decay in the long run.

Also that way the student can switch between the left and right nostrils daily, to give the other nostril some recovery.

BTW:
I'm just another poor soul condemned by birth to spawn inside one of the shitty rogue countries.

Last edited:
I'm gonna send you a FR and PM. As I've alluded to already, I've had some ideas just like yours; essentially extending the duration of action for certain drugs in a well-controlled manner, hopefully eliminating peaks and troughs in the process.

Alrighty, looking forward for the PM.

Yeah with controlled volumetric release the possibilities are endless...

Just some of the many adventures which can be explored by the pioneer souls using this method without facing the invasive nature of IV therapy:

- Willing people can stop buying expensive XR oral meds and save lots of bucks by precisely controlling the release of IR meds with this method.

- There can be many experiments such as a fast initial flow to raise the plasma concentration to the desired level, and following it with a slower "chaser" to keep it from falling down.

- Now the efficacy of experimental ADHD treatments like nasal/rectal Bupropion (which is a real NDRI unlike the oral which only affects NE) can be explored without the hassles of overstimulation and rapid come offs.

- The patients facing med shortages due to underprescribing stupid docs, bad insurances or financial problems can experiment with adding enhancers (carefully and titrating slowly) to their hard-earned med (i.e. Ritaling + caffeine/bupropion/nicotine/etc) to invent their own personal cocktail.
(Some people find caffeine enhancing the effects of Ritalin, but the lack of control over the plasma levels of oral caffeine gives jitters and cardiovascular irritation to most people, effectively preventing them to benefit from this awesome cheap enhance.)

- Artists can induce and sustain psychedelic episodes of any length & intensity they wish, enabling them to balance it perfectly for optimum benefit during their art creation work sessions.

=============

I changed the thread title into:

time/dose controlled release of drugs via nasal/rectal route

Last edited:
Too bad you're still a Greenhorn my friend. Get your posts up to 50 and we'll chat!