• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

experienced gardners please help

Drotacular

Bluelighter
ok i have a few questions. first off ive only grown one plant and ended up male but i did succesfully sprout, grow, and feed it, so im not totally inexperienced, but i need some pointers.

1) if i was going to order some outdoor seeds and have to wait until the sprouting season comes (i live in minnesota) if i order them now, will they like expire or go bad? idk if thats even possible but just something that worries me

2) what do u think is the best hydroponic system overall in your own opinion?

3) instead of treating water and dealing with all of that, i would just set out clean buckets when it rains, then let them sit for like two days before use. would there be any downsides to that?

4) im probably going to end up ordering all the seeds for my first crop which will consist of indoor and outdoor plants, what strains do you guys recommend?

5) any pointers/tips are appreciated

ok i have a few questions. First off ive only grown one plant and ended up male but i did succesfully sprout, grow, and feed it, so im not totally inexperienced, but i need some pointers.

1) if i was going to order some outdoor seeds and have to wait until the sprouting season comes (i live in minnesota) if i order them now, will they like expire or go bad? Idk if thats even possible but just something that worries me

no

aeroponics, but deep water culture is more reliable

3) instead of treating water and dealing with all of that, i would just set out clean buckets when it rains, then let them sit for like two days before use. Would there be any downsides to that?

a) rainwater can have funky ph, b)still water is a breeding ground for bacteria. Litmus test your tap water and try that out, most tap water is alright but some are nasty enough to need a brita filtering first

4) im probably going to end up ordering all the seeds for my first crop which will consist of indoor and outdoor plants, what strains do you guys recommend?

nl #5 and dj short blueberry are defacto choices for simplicity and fat weight. Beware of skunk unless you have a hella good carbon scrubber.

don't fuck it up. Seriously, hydro is not as forgiving as soil so don't go overboard on the nutrients. Also... Hmm i forget. Wait for it... Waaaaiiit for it.... Ok ... Wait no... Fuck. Oh yeah, use black buckets

message entered too short blaaaaah

Shouldn't you use distilled water which you can buy at like 2$ per 10Litre jug at the store?
Tapwater in Aus has all kinds of fucked up shit in it now, chlorine, fluoride, tonnes of calcium, and many other traces that i thought damage your crop / give you funky tastes :S

Lol no, any water will do the job. Rich cunts use distilled.

I've smoked a fair bit of grass that's been homegrown using normal tap water, its been just as chronic as a fair bit of good hydro I've had.

itsalll in the genetics, and nutes...

Seeds are good for 2 years at room temp, up to 5 in a fridge.

MR NICE SEEDS FTW!!!

They'll knock you on your face, fucking great seeds. Outdoor or indoor, I recommend both.

seriously, his seeds are fucking amazing.

1) I have used seeds which were more than one year old and they still sprouted without any problems, one question though: why didn't you harvest the seeds from your male plant? My male plants yield quite some seeds which can be used again, if it's male again just use the seeds again until you end up with a small selection of nice looking female plants. I always pick them based on geometric traits / color / smell / etc.

When you have a single good plant picked out take a cutting and mature it without letting it flower so you have a "big momma" plant which can live for a couple of years and can be used to produce numerous clones.

2) If by hydroponic you mean growing without soil, it isn't necessary in my experience unless you want the maximum yield but in my experience Cannabis has a better taste / flavour when grown in soil. I like the 'earthy' taste of 100% biologically grown Cannabis but YMMV ofcourse. :)

3) I use two types of water: tap water that has been boiled beforehand and mineral water. I'll often add some sugar to a select few plants to enhance the taste (it works believe me :D). If I'm growing outdoors I'll just let nature take care of my plants. I don't see how rain water could have a negative influence on your plants.

4) I have noticed through my growing years that some strains which are labeled indoor sometimes yield better results outdoors for some reason, this was most obvious with White Widow.

I mostly grow indoors because my house is pointed southwards so I'll get sunlight from the early morning until darkness falls which is around 6AM to 10PM in the summer here. Sometimes the sun will heat the air around my plants to 45C while the humidity is around 75%, great conditions IMHO. =D

Some strains you should try are White Widow, Purple Tops, Purple Haze x White Widow, Top 44. I have grown all of those with little knowledge and am currently still smoking 4 months after my last harvest with only 8 plants. If you want to try my personal favourite you should try to cross Silver Pearl with Amnesia Haze, best homegrown I've ever smoked TBH. :)

5) I am already rambling a lot here so if you want any tips try a book called "The MJ growers guide" or something, a very good read. :) Or you could always PM me ofcourse :p

Peace o/

^
unless he had a female plant for the male to pollinate he has no seeds :(

if you gonna go hydo id either use a wick system or deep water culture

try ducksfoot if its outdoor never grown it personally but its supposedly a dam fine outdoor strain indoors id say anything by barneys farm , fucking amazing genetics ,germ. rate etc.....
rain water should be fine for soil growing , im no expert on hydro so i dunno ,only grown in it twice and used distilled water. be sure to check the ph should be 6-7 for soil or 5.5-6 for hydro. white vinegar can be used to lower it , never had to increase it but can apparently use bi-carb.

your plants will tell you if your doing it right ,, get a good book
i recommend soma's grow book thing.
goodluck man , KEEP IT GREEN.
peace

thanks everyone good info on everything

if anyone else still wants to post feel free ill appreciate all info

Question experienced gardners please help
ok i have a few questions. first off ive only grown one plant and ended up male but i did succesfully sprout, grow, and feed it, so im not totally inexperienced, but i need some pointers.

1) if i was going to order some outdoor seeds and have to wait until the sprouting season comes (i live in minnesota) if i order them now, will they like expire or go bad? idk if thats even possible but just something that worries me

Nope, just keep them dry and in a dark place.

Aeroponics nozzles get clogged easy with salt buildup from nutrients. Deep Water Culture is probably best, but if you are a noob, start off with organic soil and learn to grow soil before hydro. Fox Farms soil is best. If you are growing outside no need for hydro.

3) instead of treating water and dealing with all of that, i would just set out clean buckets when it rains, then let them sit for like two days before use. would there be any downsides to that?

Rainwater is always good, but could bring disease. Plain tap water is fine, just keep an eye on your pH and PPM.

NL 5 is good from Nirvana, along with Dutch Passion Blueberry and Nirvana's Bubblicious is also a nice strain yet smells very bad.

Go buy Jorge Cervantes Marijuana cultivation bible and read, read, read. However the only way you will learn is by doing. It took my one buddy a few years to actually start growing really, really, really good shit. Every harvest was better then the last IMHO. Oh and after you find your females, clone them for future grows.

I second the marijuana bible purchase.

Durban Pioson is an excellent sativa strain. But if you want weed with curb appeal, go with Blueberry. or a Kush

im def gunna get a book soon good idea, plus i have one more question to add

when do you know when to start trimming a plant, and like whats the point in it, besides cloning.
plus what are the benifets and disadvanteges of it. im talking only about indoor hydro plants.

AND heres the strains im thinking about ordering

1)Northern Lights #5

2)Red Diesel

3)Nirvana Jock Horror

4)Paradise Ice Cream Skunk

5)Full Moon

6)White Widow

im still picking and choosing but what do you guys think about that lineup?