• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Experience with ketamine therapy for depression

Well if you add a very small amount of benzyl alcohol to a saline solution that can work (saline - a tablesalt solution - is relatively unreactive), but if you have two solutions both of 0.9% concentration, then mixing equal amounts will obviously make them both diluted to half their original concentration.

I am not really sure what kind of a contamination risk we are talking about without the benzyl alcohol. Personally I don't have any (yet).

I have used MXE somewhat longterm as an anti-depressent, and I would say it has worked. I had one period where I did way too much and had a manic episode. After that I didn´t use any for six months, but I became very depressed. So then I started using it again at a steady rate of about 1g a month.

Once I hit about three weeks without taking any, I can really feel the depression reasserting itself. Lose appetite, sleep disruption, want to isolate etc. So as it stands I take it about once every two weeks, and the anti-D afterglow seems to hold me until the next dose.

It definitely has its risks, but so does sitting around in a depressive episode with constant suicidal ideation.

Interesting thread and reading.
Actually, I'm thinking about going with the route but I have some questions.

1) What about the dosage for a nootropic therapy taking Ketamine nasally?
You mentioned people doing 10mg nasally every hour, for 7 days.
Do you think is a proper dose?

2) How long is this therapy and mindstate supposed to last?

3) What about doing a psychedelic experience for treating depression instead of a nootropic one?
I actually find that my depressive mood and my anxiety problems come because of a sense of "spiritually unfulfilled" life.
Basically, I don't know myself deeply, I fear death and, as consequence, fear of living.
I know Ketamine at large doses can induce and NDE and people feel reborn, with less fear of death and spirtually filled.
Maybe this way, with one or some life changing experiences I might overcome my fears and anxieties and start enjoying life again, as once I used to.
I also might add that this state I have now is blocking myself a lot.
I don't enjoy relationships, sex, love, making music / work, and it's causing me a kind of mindloop where I judge my self badly and weak all the time (in fact I'm not, as they say).
It's like I cannot see the real me that everyone (parents, friends, gf, collegues see)

Looking forward to yours and other people's replies.

Last edited:
It's now day 9 and I still feel pretty good. The major problem in my life right now is insomnia, but it doesn't appear to be linked to depressive disorder... which is nice, for a change. Instead of feeling wide awake and worried about needing to wake up at a decent time tomorrow, I am just calm and collected. The novelty effect of the ketamine has faded but many of the changes I implemented in my life while on the ketamine have remained. My ability to tell it like it is and use my voice is still there, which I'm so happy about!

hawaii said:
1) What about the dosage for a nootropic therapy taking Ketamine nasally?
You mentioned people doing 10mg nasally every hour, for 7 days.
Do you think is a proper dose?

Jamshyd originally started experimenting with ketamine intranasally for depression and in later repeats of the regimen he switched to IM because it was easier for him to calibrate such small doses in a regular way. I mentioned in my OP that someone I spoke with did it intranasally every hour for three days, not seven. Jamshyd did it nasally for 7 days, but began spacing out his doses until by day 7 he was only taking it every 4 hours. I ended up doing the same thing, except through IM.

Yes, 10-12mg seems to be the ideal nootropic range for most people, though in my case 6mg was more than sufficient. It's better to start with less than to end up doing too much and risking the damaging effects. Remember, the goal is to repair your brain, not get high.

hawaii said:
2) How long is this therapy and mindstate supposed to last?

There is a lot of debate about this. In practically all of the scientific studies I read, they gave a dose of 0.5mg per kg of body weight via IV, which for the average person is in the 30mg+ range. Some studies did a single dose, and in others they administered it 2-3 times for one day. None did multiple-day regimens, AFAIK.

In those studies, relief was immediate and lasted a minimum of 7-10 days, especially in suicidally depressed people. For people with chronic depression the results are more variable: anywhere from 7 days to several weeks, with a repeat of the regimen being required after that. For the suicidally depressed, the remission rates were high in the first cycle of the regimen, and for those that relapsed, a second cycle brought permanent relief for most.

The ultra-low dose reigmen spread out over 7 days is based on the working theory that smaller doses more often and over a longer period gives the brain a lot more time to regrow synapses and repair depression/stress related damage, and thus the result may last longer than the single high dose. Also, from a psychological standpoint, it gives the user a longer window of opportunity to use the neuroplastic state for self-reflection.

hawaii said:
3) What about doing a psychedelic experience for treating depression instead of a nootropic one?

You're right about the NDE experience aspect. I did read one study where suicidally depressed research subjects were given a k-hole experience in order to simulate death, and this resulted in them making a sharp turnaround. It was combined with counselling and talk therapy. IMO that's a little drastic, but I respect the researchers for being willing to do that kind of investigation.

The problem with psychedelic doses is that you lose the benefit of ketamine's nootropic quality, and the negative effects become much more prevalent at those doses. Ketamine acts as a completely different drug according to the dosage level. A low threshold dose acts as a nootropic which appears to have beneficial, reparative qualities on the brain; whereas a higher psychedelic dose done often is potentially more detrimental to the brain. The ultra low-dose regimen allows the brain to receive the medicinal benefits of K without the damaging effects that come from higher doses.

Psychedelic doses of ketamine allow for breakthrough experiences in thinking, but the high is so short and repeating it often so detrimental, that IMO it's not worth it. If you do the low dose regimen you will have access to the neuroplastic effects of ketamine (such as increased novelty and creativity), but without too many harsh impacts. It's the neuroplasticity that helps you reframe your problems so that once the ketamine wears off, the newly discovered realizations take hold and solidify so that you can conduct your life different. If you can achieve that at a lower, less-damaging dose, then why not go that route instead? It's the same as with other psychedelics, except ketamine's unique qualities make it more ideal for addressing depression. It has the quality of inhibiting the depressive state while opening up consciousness in the necessary ways to examine the source of the depression, all within the same drug.

If my depression returns I could always try a single psychedelic dose of K and see how it compares to the low-dose regimen, but I feel I already know the answer to that so it might not be worth it for me, especially if doing a high dose risks undoing the nootropic work I did earlier.

Last edited:
Day 10 and I feel some depression signs, thanks to good old insomnia. Nothing major yet though. My brain would probably be in better shape if I could actually sleep regularly.

Interestingly, when I smoked weed yesterday with a friend while we were walking in the woods, instead of giving me energy it made me really sleepy. Last night I slept like a baby. Weed has never done this to me before in my life, it's always stimulating and makes my insomnia way worse.

I'm wondering if the ketamine regimen could have somehow altered the cannabis reaction.

Interesting thread, thanks for posting this up. If I recall correctly it was actually Jamshyd's thread that made me finally actually create an account here despite being preoccupied with too many other sites at the time, and I've always been interested in any such research with regards to Ketamine after noticing just how powerful its antidepressant effects were myself.

Best of luck and I hope this is the end to your depression, or at the very least the start of a new more fulfilling, healthier, and happier life, than in turn can lead to you beating your depression once and for all. :)

I'm glad there's been some attention brought back to this subject, as due to the rise in popularity of Methoxetamine I feel many people have turned to that for possible anti-depressant effects, and while it may offer some in the short run, I think that SERT affinity it has might actually cause an opposite effect and worsen depression in the long run. I'm unsure, but there have been a lot of people talking about depressing effects when MXE is used frequently, as opposed to the initial glow - while I've never really heard or experienced this with Ketamine, and feel that of the two there's far more therapeutic potential with it.

Out of curiosity have you explored any other forms of therapy prior to this whether it's something like CBT, or other medications, psychedelic therapy etc, if you have I'd be interested to see how'd you'd compare the merits of each form of therapy to each other, and if you feel your run with Ketamine benefited you most. :)

Is the insomnia still offsetting the K treatment? Are you still administering the same dosing schedule? Just curious how you'd compare your mood state now versus the past couple of weeks.

Cool thread. I take MXE, or sometimes ketamine, once or twice a month on avg. And I generally keep the dosages pretty low as I'm an NmDA antagonist lightweight, and I definitely notice some lingering mood lift from both. Granted, my purposes are largely recreational & social, but I do like the anti depressant after effects quite a bit as well. There seems to be a certain point at which you run into diminishing returns with regards to dose though. Haven't really figured it out with K, but with mxe if I go over about 45mg (which is rare, usually do 15-35 over a night) the post experience mood lift is much less reliable. Combination with alcohol has similar issues

Ketamine always left me feeling quite well and dandy for a while afterwards. I think it has huge therapeutic value in treating depression. Really wish I could get some, as I would use it for just that, and have a bit of fun in the process!

Awesome thread! Thanks for sharing your experience.

I've heard of ketamine treatment for depression, but I'm not clear on the details. Is it something you only do once or a periodic/ongoing thing? (Not necessarily OP in particular but the scientists studying it). I found that MXE made my mood much worse, so not sure I'd be down for trying K.

Sorry for the delay in coming back here. I will never fully forget about this thread, I've just been busy.

Out of curiosity have you explored any other forms of therapy prior to this whether it's something like CBT, or other medications, psychedelic therapy etc, if you have I'd be interested to see how'd you'd compare the merits of each form of therapy to each other, and if you feel your run with Ketamine benefited you most. :)

I'm a health worker and my circle of friends are all therapists of some sort or another. I've tried many things... I don't find them very effective. I considered CBT in a group setting but the programs near me were very extensive, requiring 4-5 hour days every single week day. It would cause a significant impact in my work schedule and I just can't feasibly do it.

The short list of what I've tried: paroxetine, citalopram, St. John's Wart, all kinds of nootropics (hydergine, selegiline, piracetam, vinpocetine, etc.), rhodiola and various other adrenals, diet, exercise, vitamin therapy, LSD, mushrooms, cannabis, MDMA, psychotherapy, art therapy, etc.

Is the insomnia still offsetting the K treatment? Are you still administering the same dosing schedule? Just curious how you'd compare your mood state now versus the past couple of weeks.

The insomnia did offset the lasting effects, but I've discovered that melatonin works for me so now things are even keel.

Every now and then I'll take a single injection of 12mg of ketamine, once a day, for 3 days, and I remain baseline for 1-2 weeks. I think the initial regimen set the foundation and now maintenance doses bring me back into balance much faster. And the effects are instant.

I've heard of ketamine treatment for depression, but I'm not clear on the details. Is it something you only do once or a periodic/ongoing thing? (Not necessarily OP in particular but the scientists studying it). I found that MXE made my mood much worse, so not sure I'd be down for trying K.

The initial week long regimen was only needed once. I only do maintenance doses periodically now. Initially I was doing 2 daily maintenance doses for 3 days, then it turned into once a day for a few days. Now if I'm feeling down I can just do it once and I'm fine.

If MXE made you feel worse then your depression may not be related to the NMDA system, but it's hard to know. MXE may be related to ketamine but it's still a different drug, just like PCP. MXE works more strongly at lower doses, clears the body more slowly, and the after effects are dubious. This same regimen has not been attempted in clinical trials with MXE so the whole thing is one big question mark.

I feel that if the NMDA receptors are at all over-stimulated, even with ketamine, then this regimen will fail. Because MXE is potentially stronger or longer lasting than K, that makes the process more unpredictable. But I have never done MXE so this is all conjecture on my part.

I'm curious, did you have any issues with pain or fatigue and if so, did the ketamine regimen help with those? And did you find it helpful for your sleep issues?

I'm curious, did you have any issues with pain or fatigue and if so, did the ketamine regimen help with those? And did you find it helpful for your sleep issues?

Yes it helped with chronic back pain a bit, but only during the come up and for a bit of the plateau.

It made my sleep significantly worse but IMO it's because I was initially combining it with hydergine. Since then I've been using melatonin to regulate my sleep cycle and daily nootropic ketamine use has not impacted my sleep.

nice read, this can also be done with dxm (with different parameters). I successfully used dxm in small dosage to quit benzos and maintain mental health afterwards and eliminate depression.

Any updates on this?
How are you feeling at this point?

Been doing well actually. The effects were not permanent, but I can take single maintenance doses of 12mg IM now and be depression-free for up to 7 days at a time. For me, this is a miracle drug. To think I spent years messing with SSRIs and other therapies. NMDA antagonism seems to be my holy grail.

I believe the initial regimen sets the foundation for the neural response, so that single doses down the road reset me automatically to baseline. It's like you need to setup the initial stimulation pattern, and then later only a small push puts it back in place.

yo. is ketamine specifically helpful for depression or is just because its an NDMA antagonist amd happens to be a convient one for dailt use?

I saw no value for ketamine other than a pre-treatment for mushrooms. It took about a day, one shroom trip that was a lost experience, then a day of fasting and more shrooms. In the end I found the best experience of my life, The Ecstasy, total body soul intercourse. I do not mean MDMA, I mean total ecstasy.

yo. is ketamine specifically helpful for depression or is just because its an NDMA antagonist amd happens to be a convient one for dailt use?

The two are not mutually exclusive. Ketamine is useful for depression because it is an NMDA antagonist; however, for therapeutic uses, daily dosing may not be required. My initial regimen was done daily, but now I can take a single dose every so often and have relief for a week.

I saw no value for ketamine other than a pre-treatment for mushrooms. It took about a day, one shroom trip that was a lost experience, then a day of fasting and more shrooms. In the end I found the best experience of my life, The Ecstasy, total body soul intercourse. I do not mean MDMA, I mean total ecstasy.

Sounds interesting. Some people use mushrooms for depression, but since they are a 5-HT2A agonist I cannot. Anything that agonizes my receptors makes me prone to depression. However, I think the root of people's depression can be different, and thus 5-HT agonists may work for some.

These are 2 different things all together, a psychedelic dose will let you face your problems and you might beat them there and then, but Ketamine is more of an anti-depressant in that it straightens the symptoms of your depression allowing you to take part in everyday life. It is more of a surefire thing too, psychedelic treatment can be very helpful but that place you reached during your trip is not something that occurs with everyone consistently (the elusive ++++)