Ex-officer: War on drugs 'far worse' than a failure

pmoseman. you have no argument. the war on drugs is a systemic, calculated plot on the government's part to incarcerate, profit off, and deceive its citizens. this has been going on for four decades. it is not by luck that the worst of the worst are tolerated and sold in open markets along with licit forms of heroin, marijuana, etc.

if i wanted to end my life using legal drugs I could walk down to the gas station right now and be dead in under two hours.. you cant tell me that the war on drugs has a positive impact. its effects have reached virtually every country in the world and is responsible for political insurgency from Argentina to Asia. It's a well evolved, pleasantly constructed illusion that you and [thankfully] a shrinking number of people seem to support.

theWhiteLarryBird;12170240 said:
pmoseman. you have no argument. the war on drugs is a systemic, calculated plot on the government's part to incarcerate, profit off, and deceive its citizens. this has been going on for four decades. it is not by luck that the worst of the worst are tolerated and sold in open markets along with licit forms of heroin, marijuana, etc.

if i wanted to end my life using legal drugs I could walk down to the gas station right now and be dead in under two hours.. you cant tell me that the war on drugs has a positive impact. its effects have reached virtually every country in the world and is responsible for political insurgency from Argentina to Asia. It's a well evolved, pleasantly constructed illusion that you and [thankfully] a shrinking number of people seem to support.
Larry. I never ever started any argument where I am saying the war on drugs has had a positive impact. I played along by posting that weird article with some DEA guy saying it had been a success, but I have no desire to make such an argument.

You invented my side of it and made the kind of statements anyone would disagree with. I hope you realize that it you are making all this happen and trying to start an argument.

Peace.

Ok but you were definitely defending the opposite stance in the other thread. clearly you have an opinion, im just curious as to what it is. if you dont want to share, fine. ill drop it.

People can be wrong without it being a political issue.

I am probably just arguing over facts, ie spelling errors, with people.

Former sheriff calls prohibition on drugs a farce
By Lisa Phu

Former Wisconsin sheriff Lance Buchholtz says the prohibition on drugs is a farce.

As a representative of a law enforcement group advocating for the legalization of drugs, he’s traveling around the state and spoke at a Juneau Chamber of Commerce event Thursday.

Buchholtz doesn’t personally condone the use of the drugs.

“I feel that no one should do drugs. Drugs are a terrible thing to do, right? Let’s all agree on that, if we could, that nobody wants drugs in our society,” he says.

But as a member of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, or LEAP, a non-profit organization of current and former police officers, lawyers and judges, Buchholtz thinks we need to end the prohibition on drugs.

“It’s not working. It’s expensive. It’s costing us billions of dollars a year. We’re locking up a lot of people that are not violent offenders and we just need to find another way,” he says.

LEAP’s solution is to legalize drugs and regulate the market. It doesn’t name specific drugs. Buchholtz says criminalizing drugs has not benefited society or kept communities safer:

“Are we keeping any of this stuff out of our communities now when it’s illegal? It’s out there. We can’t arrest our way out of this problem.”
Buchholtz says the role of law enforcement should be to keep people safe from violence, not to intervene in drug use.

“If someone has a drug problem, it should be a medical issue, it should be a mental health issue, it should be a spiritual issue. I don’t see how it being a law enforcement issue is improving or helping anyone is this situation,” he says.

Alaska voters will decide whether to legalize marijuana in an August ballot initiative. Buchholtz thinks this kind of effort will influence federal law.

“The states are going to have to say, ‘Look, this is what we want and this is how we want to do it,’ and eventually the federal government is going to have to fall in line if enough states do what Alaska is proposing to do, and then Wisconsin does it and New York does it. Eventually, it’s going to have to happen,” he says.

While LEAP does not support specific legislation, Buchholtz did speak to Alaska lawmakers while in Juneau.

Recently, the Affiliated Tribes of Northwest Indians, which includes the Tlingit and Haida Central Council, announced its opposition to legalizing marijuana.

http://www.ktoo.org/2014/02/28/former-sheriff-calls-prohibition-on-drugs-a-farce/

I love this article, bravo small collection of police officers. :)

Change is definitely coming, it has already come for several states. Over my lifetime of 30 years I have seen gargantuan shifts in public marijuana opinion, from a great number of adults and many kids thought it was bad, didn't understand it, and had no real information other than propaganda. Nowadays, even before the first states legalized it outright, the majority of older adults and very much of the young adult and kid population does not think it should be illegal. It's completely accepted and normalized in some areas and demographics. Nearly half the states have a medical marijuana system, and there are more all the time. It is only a matter of relatively little time before it's legalized federally, I believe.

Now I don't think the same is true for other illegal drugs, but feel it must be clear to anyone unblinded by dogma that legalization to end to war on drugs is the best possible solution forward in this situation. both socially and economically.

B
25I_am_so_wonderfu;12138241 said:
I beg to differ as well. Last time I was in court, there was a group of 19-20 year old guys seeing the judge before me. They had been busted by a cop who had been eavesdropping on them while they were walking some trail. The cop heard them talk about a "secret spot" and decided to follow them and then made the arrest for pot possession and spray painting some cave.
You realize that there's a 2nd half to that quote, where he mentions that pot arrests are usually incidental to otehr, more serious offenses? Then you use an example of kids smoking pot and spray painting public property to counter him? lol.
Evans is a tool though. Yay for LEAP :D

B
police vehicles w/ LEAP on the side make me smile.

police vehicles w/ body armor on the side make me uncomfortable..

bmxxx;12190906 said:
police vehicles w/ LEAP on the side make me smile.

police vehicles w/ body armor on the side make me uncomfortable..
rio_17.jpg

Photograph: REUTERS/Sergio Moraes
more photos

This thing looks like the freaking Death Star...

B
looks shopped (and your reuters link doesn't point to reuters ;P )

NarcoMonster.jpg

/soo Death Race

B
they're both kinda mid-stride outta the truck, doesn't look proper even if the edges were cleaner. am beginning to suspect the person riding their bike into the truck may not be kosher either lol

B
think that one was subtitle only, plus fast&furiuos 5 already showed me about rio ;)