• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Evidence shows Kratom raises prolactin levels. Is there any way to lower these levels?

Do you mean using regular supplements, or pharms?

In terms of supps you can try B6, chasteberry, zinc (ie a whole bunch of things) but they don't often seem to do a lot when you're taking a bunch of alkaloids.

You can also avoid alcohol, which is likely to amplify prolactin further/possibly synergistically.

Exercise and good sleep (maybe melatonin) might also help by ultimately boosting dopamine (crudely, think of dopamine and prolactin as two sides of a balanced scale - boost one, it lowers the other, vice-versa).

There are quite a few pharms that'll work very well but they can be quite unpleasant in terms of side-effects and probably not what you're looking for.

Do you mean using regular supplements, or pharms?

In terms of supps you can try B6, chasteberry, zinc (ie a whole bunch of things) but they don't often seem to do a lot when you're taking a bunch of alkaloids.

You can also avoid alcohol, which is likely to amplify prolactin further/possibly synergistically.

Exercise and good sleep (maybe melatonin) might also help by ultimately boosting dopamine (crudely, think of dopamine and prolactin as two sides of a balanced scale - boost one, it lowers the other, vice-versa).

There are quite a few pharms that'll work very well but they can be quite unpleasant in terms of side-effects and probably not what you're looking for.
Dmed you. I don’t think I’d ever use a pharmaceutical again, unless my life depended on it

Reactions: CFC
All opioids that activate the MOR opioid receptor will stimulate the release of prolactin, so certainly with kratom this can also be expected. This effect can also be expected to be less severe with kratom than with full agonist opioids.

If you don't want a pharmaceutical you could try mucuna pruriens extract, which contains l-dopa. L-dopa can significantly inhibit l-dopa release (via increased dopamine availability).

Exercise would probably help too.

I am willing to bet most of the pharms that can be listed would screw around with one system or another. But here is some perspective because I read a lot of crap online. I have been taking kratom steady the last 10 years. I do not have tits, a fairly flat chest and when I work out looks like muscle. (it was said etizolam causes tits too) I can get and maintain an erection any day of the week so my testosterone seems good. In fact some of my anger outbursts make me think I still have too much testosterone. I have all my hair. It started thinning a little before kratom but still have a head full. But the folklore is out of control on a lot of things.

I look at controlled studies today and realized no controlled study makes sense in 2023. I gave up on that when my FIL was in a turmeric study. Yet the guy was also on 8 different meds. Exactly what is any study going to learn from my FIL? And then stuff was published based off of using him. This was in Canada. I realize this could be my issue, maybe I am posting to have faith in studies again. But to me they go off the rails until I see more logic.

Logic says if a drug or substance is not treating you well, then stop taking it. The influx of new meds, all the TV commercials, all the substances we take into our body, unless something is glaringly obvious then all we do is guess. My father has smoked for 77 years. So he would screw with any study that says smoking causes cancer. Yet even that we know it does, but there are always exceptions.

CFC and negrogesic have excellent suggestions though. My apologies for being jaded on "studies".

Last edited:
All opioids that activate the MOR opioid receptor will stimulate the release of prolactin, so certainly with kratom this can also be expected. This effect can also be expected to be less severe with kratom than with full agonist opioids.

If you don't want a pharmaceutical you could try mucuna pruriens extract, which contains l-dopa. L-dopa can significantly inhibit l-dopa release (via increased dopamine availability).

Exercise would probably help too.

What exactly does high prolactin levels result in? The only thing I've genuinely noticed from kratom use over the years is that yes-it definitely takes a bit of your energy away. Its hard to compare myself to 7 years ago when I first started, but objectively my energy is not what it used to be lol.

I know that for me and other people I know who have taken kratom daily over a long period of time, it does slightly decrease your sex drive. However, in my case that might be a GOOD thing, because I’m so horny while still being on it that if I got off of it I might become a deranged nymphomaniac, lol!

@JackARoe I’ve been involved with a TON of medical studies for compensation, it’s kind of a side gig of mine. Having seen firsthand how they work, I’m jaded about them as well. Most of these studies aren’t as strictly controlled as they should be, but it’s really hard to be rigorous about these when it comes to testing on humans. Even if your FIL had been on no other substances but the tumeric, each human’s physiology is slightly different and what works for one may not work for another. All they can do is try to test on as many humans as possible and then average out the results and hope for the best. That’s why when we get meds from the drugstore they give you that long-ass paper with all the possible side effects and adverse effects in small print, lol. My mom and I used to do dramatic readings of these just to be funny; if you read these you’d never want to take these meds 😆 unfortunately for a lot of us they are a necessity. However, we are on a website full of people who cheerfully put obscure substances into their bodies with little regard for their health, lmao. Each of us is conducting our own little science experiment on ourselves!

Also, my dad’s mom never smoked a day in her life. Died of lung cancer. My mom’s mom smoked all her life, never got cancer. Go figure….

Also, my dad’s mom never smoked a day in her life. Died of lung cancer. My mom’s mom smoked all her life, never got cancer. Go figure….
Like my younger brother can't smoke weed due to work at a dealership. (in the 80's it was said cannabis causes male breasts lol) Never did etizolam or kratom (or heavier opiates). But he has a tendency to be able to get chubby. He had an issue with tissue around his breasts. Sought medical help. So yeah, go figure. I have a different body build. I have been the same 170 lb for 35 years no matter what I ear or don't. Yet my brother has to watch his weight.

Thanks for the write up on studies. Here is the thing. I have to use logic in what I do for work. So I tend to put everything through that logic (even though I should not). So when I look at studies the amount of variables like we mentioned make it very illogical to pinpoint anything to my brain. And then not to mention all the experimental things we all do!

I suggest people stay as healthy as they can. And not worry. I think it is worry that kills us. lol

Like my younger brother can't smoke weed due to work at a dealership. (in the 80's it was said cannabis causes male breasts lol) Never did etizolam or kratom (or heavier opiates). But he has a tendency to be able to get chubby. He had an issue with tissue around his breasts. Sought medical help. So yeah, go figure. I have a different body build. I have been the same 170 lb for 35 years no matter what I ear or don't. Yet my brother has to watch his weight.

Thanks for the write up on studies. Here is the thing. I have to use logic in what I do for work. So I tend to put everything through that logic (even though I should not). So when I look at studies the amount of variables like we mentioned make it very illogical to pinpoint anything to my brain. And then not to mention all the experimental things we all do!

I suggest people stay as healthy as they can. And not worry. I think it is worry that kills us. lol
Mental health matters!