• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Even low doses of Ecstasy can lead to language-related memory loss

Koosh

Bluelighter
Even low doses of Ecstasy can lead to language-related memory loss

Washington, June 5 : A new study has found that even low doses of Ecstasy, an illicit recreational drug popular among young people may be associated with a decline in language-related memory.

The study was conducted by a team of researchers led by Thelma Schilt at the University of Amsterdam, Netherlands.

As part of the study, researchers recruited 188 volunteers, with average age of 22, who had not used Ecstasy earlier but reported that they were likely to try it soon. Within three years of the initial evaluations, which took place between April 2002 and April 2004, 58 individuals began using Ecstasy.

The volunteers were compared with 60 individuals who had the same age, sex and intelligence score but who did not use Ecstasy during the follow-up period.

All participants took tests that assessed various types of memory including attention, verbal memory for words and language, and visual memory for images, at the beginning and end of the study.

Researchers tested verbal memory by asking the participants to memorize a series of 15 words and recall them immediately and again 20 minutes later.

The study found that the people using Ecstasy had a lower recalling power in the follow-up as compared to those who did not use the drug during the follow-up period

'At the initial examination, there were no statistically significant differences in any of the neuropsychological test scores between persistent Ecstasy-naove subjects and future Ecstasy users,' the authors wrote.

'However, at follow-up, change scores on immediate and delayed verbal recall and verbal recognition were significantly lower in the group of incident Ecstasy users compared with persistent Ecstasy-naove subjects. There were no significant differences on other test scores,' the authors added.

Researchers also found that there was no difference in the drug's effect between the sexes.

The fact that Ecstasy appeared to affect only verbal memory, points to specific brain areas and chemicals that may be affected by the drug.

'The main underlying factor seems to be a depletion of serotonin in Ecstasy users, a depletion that might be reversible. Serotonin is involved in several cognitive functions but might be especially relevant to learning and memory,' the authors wrote.

'In conclusion, our data indicate that low doses of Ecstasy are associated with decreased verbal memory function, which is suggestive for Ecstasy-induced neurotoxicity,' the authors concluded.

The findings of the study were published in the June issue of Archives of General Psychiatry, one of the JAMA/Archives journals.

--- ANI

http://www.newkerala.com/news5.php?action=fullnews&id=36044

ya know, Ecstasy is a pretty broad term, eh?

they didnt take in to account the ONE BIG factor of drug purity.

these people could have been using a myriad of other substances or had been getting sub-par 'Ecstasy'

stupid open ended misleading bs "research"

One thing that I would like to put toward this is that six and a half years ago I was just finished school, studying a lot, reading a lot, mentally agile etc . .

Three years later and, drug use or not, you just are not going to be as mentally agile or have your brain trained as well as when you were working closer to your full potential. We don't know of any demographic differences between the control group and the test group. Social circumstances, career choice, and so on . .

This is something non drug using friends of mine also have picked up upon.

I would be interested to see the breakdown of the ages of people used in this study- were they all young adults at the time?

In fact, I would like to see the damn study and draw my own scientific conclusions rather than rely upon some headline orientated news report.

Who is with me?

Last edited:
I don't find it hard to believe. I've been using E for 4 years (using once every 4-8 weeks), and I have found myself numerous times searching my brain for the correct word I want to use. I never had that issue until I started using E, and when it occurs it is not some obscure word, it is always some easy everyday word that just seems to escape me.

Though, I'm 42yr old now, and that could just as easily be written off as just an aging effect.

I have speech slurring problems that I never had before MDMA. But the pills I used to take often had meth in them too. I was always a polydrug user.

Any investigational studies of illegal drugs will always be flawed because the content of said illegal drugs on the street is often not the chemical reseachers intend to study. If they would actually remove laws keeping researchers from giving people pure versions of these drugs in a controlled environment, we might get somewhere as to whether or not they are damaging to our minds or bodies, and ways in which we could prevent that sort of toxicity. Until then, the curious will suffer.

@Jude: "The volunteers were compared with 60 individuals who had the same age, sex and intelligence score but who did not use Ecstasy during the follow-up period."

Re: purity. This is a good point, but bear in mind that you and I are taking street ecstasy, not necessarily MDMA. So a study that shows that people taking street ecstasy suffer memory and language problems is still relevant to us. (That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they were taking reasonably good quality MDMA. This is Holland we're talking about, and they have easy access to pill testing facilities, so I'd suspect that they tend to get MDMA).

I do agree with nuke's comments - but there are actually some studies where humans are given pure MDMA - but these are generally short-term studies that measure the immediate physical effects of MDMA, not long term studies like this one.

On a personal note: I have experienced language-related problems without a shadow of a doubt. (Inability to remember words like 'table', for example). I doubt that this was because I was no longer at university, or because at 25 I was experiencing age-related memory loss (especially because the problems went away once I stopped using MDMA a lot).

@the people who posted about personal experience with language problems after MDMA use:
what other drugs are you doing?

were/are you abusing MDMA in an obviously unhealthy fashion?

how could you be sure of purity?

CloudyHazeD said:
@the people who posted about personal experience with language problems after MDMA use:

none. I smoked marijuana for many years, but gave it up at the same time that I began taking E- replaced one vice with another.

CloudyHazeD said:

Not sure what would be considered an "obviously unhealthy fashion". I mean, just using the drug could be considered "unhealty fashion".

But I am pretty healthy about it personally. I roll once every month or 2 (never less than 4 weeks between rolls, typically 8 weeks between). I take 5htp the week before rolling, and the week after rolling. I also take 1000mg of Vit C the day before rolling, immediately upon coming down, and for the next few days after. And otherwise live a pretty healthy drug and alcohol free lifestyle.

CloudyHazeD said:

Well, I certainly don't lab test them. But I do EZ Test them, and have never taken any that showed signs of anything other than MDxx.

I have done my best to be aware and practice harm reduction.

Last edited:
i can attest to the verbal memory deficits suggested by this article first hand. i used to use ecstacy pretty heavily (1 or 2 pills usually, 2-3 times a month), and common words would definatley slip my mind alot, i would just pause in conversation till i could think of it.

with that being said, once i stopped using E all the time, i would say my verbal skills returned fully to my pre ecstasy use level in as little as a month. this has lead me to conclude that E probally does do some harm to the brain, but its temporary, and not any worse than other commonly used substances such as alcohol or amphetmine, which also lead to temporary mental decline when i use a bit too much. just be moderate with your use, and i dont think youll have any problems.

^^I've also seen in myself and others that ecstasy-related deficits tend to go away with time, although the length of time it takes can definitely vary from person to person. It's been a couple months since my last pill and I'm still feeling a bit scattered. It's definitely getting better though. I would probably categorize my past usage in the moderate category.

I've used so many drugs that I don't think it's really worthwhile to note my experience, though I was mostly using MDMA, MDA, ephedrine, and a little meth when I started to run into problems.

MDMA is bad for cognition, definitely. I dunno about if you use 'sensibly' but overdoing it is ferociously bad for the mind.

I just wanna say that I been taking MDUMY for years and it never had no problem with and uh yeah.

I've had some of those problems...

But I had ALL THOSE PROBLEMS prior to taking ecstasy for the first time.

I didn't take it till I was 23...
So I started late - but after you stop studying, your brain starts to relax for a bit... you start to lose bits and pieces.

Most ecstasy users are in H.S. or college...
After getting out of school your brain begins to slack off a little - things naturally get harder (language, etc...)

I can't believe this is an effect of ecstasy because I had these problems momentarily prior to ecstasy use.
Sure... for a few days after use things get a little worse, but the week following use, I'm happier, more focused, and perform better than I do after a month or so of non-use.

I don't think the age is the big deal here...

The big deal is...
How long did the ecstasy users WAIT after their last dose, before reporting in for the follow-up study?

The brain doesn't recuperate fully for 3-6 weeks after your last dosing.

2-3 weeks after the last pill?
You're still going to have discrepancies.

Purity is surely another issue.

I'm not dismissing the study completely - I think there are a few weeks where things MAY be slightly harder mentally...

But as for permanent damage?
There's still a LONG stretch between the evidence and the accusations.

CloudyHazeD said:

Good questions.

None. Basically just MDMA (very, very occasional use of cannabis and amphetamines - I'm talking 3-4 times total).

Yes.

I was getting it tested (Marquis Reagent test, plus one pill that was lab-tested). I was consistently getting MDMA.

Noting my 'yes' answer, I will say that I don't think moderate usage of MDMA is particularly harmful. I do think there is a level at which one experiences harm, at least temporarily, and I reached that level. YMMV.

Sim0n said:
Good questions.

None. Basically just MDMA (very, very occasional use of cannabis and amphetamines - I'm talking 3-4 times total).

Yes.

I was getting it tested (Marquis Reagent test, plus one pill that was lab-tested). I was consistently getting MDMA.

Noting my 'yes' answer, I will say that I don't think moderate usage of MDMA is particularly harmful. I do think there is a level at which one experiences harm, at least temporarily, and I reached that level. YMMV.

Please define "harm"

Temporary reduced ability is not HARM in my mind... It's "hang over."

Just like someone with a hangover from any substance... or coming down from any substance is going to perform poorly on these kinds of tests...

I dont even have to read the article to agree with it.

I had terrible issues with language related memory when abusing ecstacy. Id either say a different word instead of the one I had intended to use in a sentence or forget the names of things completely and sometimes even stop mid sentence because I forgot what I was saying.

Its definitley an issue a lot of MDMA users experience when using frequently, and is a very real occurance that cant really be argued with. I mean yeah, you can say not everyone experiences it and not everyone is guaranteed to have it happen to them when using MDMA, but its a side effect none the less.

i have trouble recalling language now but maybe its just other drugs ive taken and could have something to do with me reading the dictionary when i was younger...i would need to see more specific test results to trust the conclusion of a study like this..there's just too many variables that they dont take into account or dont mention. either that or they had to finish a study or risk not getting precious funding to save their job ...sigh.... money makes the world go round

IForgett said:
I dont even have to read the article to agree with it.

I had terrible issues with language related memory when abusing ecstacy. Id either say a different word instead of the one I had intended to use in a sentence or forget the names of things completely and sometimes even stop mid sentence because I forgot what I was saying.

Its definitley an issue a lot of MDMA users experience when using frequently, and is a very real occurance that cant really be argued with. I mean yeah, you can say not everyone experiences it and not everyone is guaranteed to have it happen to them when using MDMA, but its a side effect none the less.

ECSTASY USERS!!!
That's NOT mdma ;)

And it IS a side effect - but you're ignoring important bits...

Like... how long after they took the last pill were the tests done?

Effects can last from 4-6 weeks AFTER the last pill is taken (in moderate doses) for the blood flow in the brain to return to normal.

If the follow-up appointment was done in this time period there WOULD be discrepancies.

I'll agree with you - it's a side effect of ecstasy...

But they didn't even confirm what these kids were taking was MDMA.
Your statements need a little revision... but yeah... mostly I agree.
(I'm just being anal. Can't help it though.)