• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Evangelical Christians are evil arrogant spiteful idiots who have no morals

Some Jews were black 2000 years ago aswell. Til they became racist against black people aswell. Moses in the Torah and Quran is black
Maybe one of the 12 tribes; a lost tribe. Anyway I don't see how it matters as Jews are an ethnoreligious group with shared DNA markers. According to Biblical genealogy Abraham was the first Jew. Adam and Eve were probably ethnically similar to their descendant Abraham, so I'm not sure what any of this has to do with skin color

the bible is fake and corrupted. The quran corrected everything in the last two books and that means mose is black.

I pretty much agree, some members of my extended family have been taken in by the Evangelical cult, and it is chilling how many exact talking points they spout, while mistaking it for godliness. They used to be really pretty open, liberal people, religious, yes, but Methodist, more like how my mom is, where she believes in the "radical nonviolent love everyone and accept everyone" Jesus. Now they're talking about how homosexuals are going to hell, the Earth is 6,000 years old, and evolution is of Satan. They agree that Trump has personality flaws, but say he is in imperfect man being used as an instrument of God to bring Jesus to the world. They are proudly single-issue voters, abortion being the only thing they consider when voting. And of course they are also against government handouts. And they're also against contraception. I guess sex is only to produce babies. It blows my mind how these people can be against both abortion AND contraception.

I'm quite sure that they would never be mean to someone to their face... in fact our mutual cousin is gay, and they get along fine and have love for each other. But in an abstract sense, they have become bigots. it's sad because they're really sweet people.

Anyway, another thing that us disturbing about Evangelicals is that there is a strong anti-science sentiment and even moreso than other branches of Christianity, there is a strong pressure to not think too much, to not question.

At least your family members are only ideologically unsound, and not actually radicalizing themselves like some others are. I'm sorry you have to put up with that.

What bothers me is what you described... their politicization has turned them all into walking robots, all spouting the same crap. And it's because in the United States, everything has been politicized. Everything is liberal OR conservative. Everything. So they practically see it as their political duty to believe certain things. The Republican party really did a number on the south with their Southern Strategy.

In the last few years I've spent a lot of time around evangelical Christians. Their numbers have been shrinking for the last 3 decades, the few who haven't abandoned their magical beliefs are all that's left.

Much like a flat earth society they need to dismiss much of reality to keep hold of beliefs they've been told to believe. This makes people 'seem' crazy since every conversation has to go through their belief filter. I say seem because to others with the same beliefs they dont seem crazy at all.

Because most religions build in beliefs that deter adherents from studying outside of the safe boundaries it's difficult to speak to them about reality without encountering walls of emotion.

I've seen a nearly identical zeal in Amway sales, insurance sales, investment deals. Basically any group of people with an offer that they have only recently bought into that's too good to be missed... aka too good to be true. Organizations like these often create a cult like following. The difference is they don't use fear tactics to keep you from learning it's just a ponzy scheme. Many people choose to stay in a ponzy scheme even with full knowledge, using fear of invisible forces and punishment after death make religions stand out on the evil scale. Still some of the most loving kind considerate humans I've met are involved with these cult like organizations.

How do we help them see past years of learned imaginary thinking?

A very good question.

Evangelicals believe in the centrality of the conversion or "born again" experience in receiving salvation, in the authority of the Bible as God's revelation to humanity, and in spreading the Christian message.

Evangelicals particularly emphasize "conversion experiences" as an adult even for people raised in Christian families, and reject the authority of old Christian philosophy, particularly w.r.t. the ideas of Saint Thomas and Saint Augustine (although Thomism still pops up here and there), in preference to de novo (and often questionable) interpretations of the Bible offered by modern priests.

I would generally advise Christians to avoid evangelical denominations for the same reason that I as a Buddhist generally prefer traditional (mostly Japanese) Mahayana Buddhist centers to New Age-y stuff like Shambhala. This is the core of the argument in Wittgenstein's Remarks on Frazer's Golden Bough: "religion" is a sort of instinctual human-qua-animal activity, and the attempt to apply modern constructs like axiomatization (e.g. the Bible as the axioms of Christianity) and critical philosophy (a fundamentally Enlightenment and historically Kantian idea, preoccupied with technicalities such as the free will paradox and the paradoxes of omnipotence) to religious ideas tends to lead to useless nonsense.

As such, one of the bad characteristics of Evangelicalism is that it tries too hard to be modern and ends up being ludicrous. The other bad characteristic is that "conversion experiences", while occasionally effective at changing behavior, can become culty indoctrination rituals, which can cause plenty of problems in any religion no matter how noble or educated the membership may seem at first. Conversion experiences are much like psychedelic experiences: when offered by a corrupt "spiritualist", they can be extremely manipulative. The hostility of Evangelical Christianity towards traditional forms of church governance increases the risk of this kind of abuse, and there is now even a counter-cult movement within the evangelical movement which has tried to counter the fallout of these conversion experiences propping up abusive "churches" and "Christian communities".

Dude you're fucking smart.

How long have you been a hacktivist with the anonymous group?

I think denouncing the fate of others, and calling them stupid only shows your own social immaturity. I honestly am jealous of anyone who can believe in a God in a world as fucked up as this one.

In the muslim viewpoint it is a belief that this world is a testing ground. Hence why God would let people die & suffer, and whatnod. To test them or their loved ones. This is why Muslims are so strict with giving themselves pleasures, as this world, in their view is made to taunt you with things that feel amazing and are very beautiful, so you would have to administer self control and not give in to the temptations around you.

I like this concept, honestly. It's very Buddhism, in a way. Once you are done learning in this sandbox, you get to a higher plane.

I could never say there's one simple truth, but I'm saying that I'm jealous of anyone who is able to have their one simple truth. Be that evangelical, catholic, orthodox, muslim, hindu - all these faiths have a good underline message. Be good to others, don't harm others, don't steal, don't lie, don't be a prick asshole calling people stupid just because they have faith. And their practitioners often dedicate their lives to helping others, often for free. Would you ever do something like that?

And you call them stupid, can't even spell evangelical

Last edited:
I have never met an evangelical in person who had not, in some way, abandoned their critical thinking and who did not exhibit some kind of cult like behaviour.
I am no longer religious, though I once was. However, I think this statement about critical thinking applies to all religions. In fact it is the nature of religions to avoid, transcend, or provide an alternative to critical thinking because they are faith-based. Religion, by virtue of it’s reliance on faith, is a way of engaging with reality and our existence that pre-dates critical thinking.

Some people see it as a no-longer useful vestige of our evolutionary development. Kind of like the appendix. They think anything that religion gave to the ordering of human life can be replaced by reason. Other people, myself included, think that although reason can reveal objective truth to us organised religion is highly beneficial for social organisation and human flourishing. Obviously not for all people as almost all religions are inherently exclusionary and place conditions on membership and participation - thus reserving the social benefits that participation offers for select people.

Interestingly it is science that most ably demonstrates the individual and collective benefits of religion and its role in human flourishing. Again, not all religions in all times and with issues around how one defines ‘human flourishing.’ Personally I really miss being able to participate culturally as a Catholic and grieve a bit for how the institutional church destroyed the community of worshippers that was very meaningful to be a member of.

I think denouncing the fate of others, and calling them stupid only shows your own social immaturity. I honestly am jealous of anyone who can believe in a God in a world as fucked up as this one.

In the muslim viewpoint it is a belief that this world is a testing ground. Hence why God would let people die & suffer, and whatnod. To test them or their loved ones. This is why Muslims are so strict with giving themselves pleasures, as this world, in their view is made to taunt you with things that feel amazing and are very beautiful, so you would have to administer self control and not give in to the temptations around you.

I like this concept, honestly. It's very Buddhism, in a way. Once you are done learning in this sandbox, you get to a higher plane.

I could never say there's one simple truth, but I'm saying that I'm jealous of anyone who is able to have their one simple truth. Be that evangelical, catholic, orthodox, muslim, hindu - all these faiths have a good underline message. Be good to others, don't harm others, don't steal, don't lie, don't be a prick asshole calling people stupid just because they have faith. And their practitioners often dedicate their lives to helping others, often for free. Would you ever do something like that?

And you call them stupid, can't even spell evangelical
Not very different to Catholicism either. One has to earn one’s ways into heaven and suffering is a part of the way you get there.

Not very different to Catholicism either. One has to earn one’s ways into heaven and suffering is a part of the way you get there.
True, it's the part that all major religions share in their own way. Life is suffering, and by living through the suffering, you will achieve bliss, in whatever way.

True, it's the part that all major religions share in their own way. Life is suffering, and by living through the suffering, you will achieve bliss, in whatever way.
Kind of but not exactly. Some protestants believe in predestination. They are very ambiguous about the role and importance of suffering - often thinking that it is deserved. For the buddhists, suffering is definitely deserved if you didn’t play your cards right in the previous life. But unnecessary if you do enough good works. So there is an out. Jews expect suffering in life but that is more cultural than theological I think. They get past it with knowing they are chosen.

I think religious suffering is very much an Eastern philosophy. Correct me if I'm wrong. Pagans in Europe offered themselves up for human sacrifice to their gods, but nothing leading up to that was about living a pain-filled life. Pain and suffering mean that there's something wrong, but I get that this is something I don't comprehend; like psychic suffering

I am no longer religious, though I once was. However, I think this statement about critical thinking applies to all religions. In fact it is the nature of religions to avoid, transcend, or provide an alternative to critical thinking because they are faith-based. Religion, by virtue of it’s reliance on faith, is a way of engaging with reality and our existence that pre-dates critical thinking.

Some people see it as a no-longer useful vestige of our evolutionary development. Kind of like the appendix. They think anything that religion gave to the ordering of human life can be replaced by reason. Other people, myself included, think that although reason can reveal objective truth to us organised religion is highly beneficial for social organisation and human flourishing. Obviously not for all people as almost all religions are inherently exclusionary and place conditions on membership and participation - thus reserving the social benefits that participation offers for select people.

Interestingly it is science that most ably demonstrates the individual and collectdong ive benefits of religion and its role in human flourishing. Again, not all religions in all times and with issues around how one defines ‘human flourishing.’ Personally I really miss being able to participate culturally as a Catholic and grieve a bit for how the institutional church destroyed the community of worshippers that was very meaningful to be a member of.

I don't agree that faith based processes pre-date critical thinking. They have always worked side by side, they are just different faculties. You can base an entire critical thinking model upon a premise that is faith based. Only the first premise has to be faith based, everything that comes after it can involve critical thinking. In science, theories are discussed in this way, even though they're not proven.

Faith based faculties are not synonymous with religion. We shouldn't conflate the two. Faith is an undying trust. It can be in any thing, any one, or any idea. The degree of critical thinking accompanying such a process really depends on the person, not on whether or not faith as a faculty is being utilized.

I respect science's view on the function of religion, but I also think science is a highly reductionist model. I'm trained in the scientific method (doing some training now, in fact) and science is not really compatible with ontology. Science requires knowledge of mechanisms for something to be certifiably real. Ontological systems have different standards of proof.

Maybe religion is an "appendix" of humanity but faith isn't. People are constantly shifting their faith all over the place. Right now the hegemonic world view is scientific, or more precisely, material reductionist. People are putting their faith in that these days.

How do we help them see past years of learned imaginary thinking?

Good question. It is very difficult to get anyone to see past their learned imaginary thinking and biases, that change generally needs to come from within. With religion, it is particularly difficult, because many religious people are afraid to question their paradigm, as questioning is seen as sinful. just like with anything, trying to force change upon someone rarely results in change, in fact it usually results in someone digging their heels in even more. The only way we can hope to reach other people is to treat them with respect, and engage in a two-way dialogue, and try to be an example for others of the rightness of the beliefs you are trying to impart.

Faith based faculties are not synonymous with religion.
Maybe you won't believe me or whatever but I don't have faith. I don't have any real beliefs either
People are constantly shifting their faith all over the place. Right now the hegemonic world view is scientific, or more precisely, material reductionist. People are putting their faith in that these days.
Maybe they are. I don't know about other peoples' minds or consciousness. I'm wary of the word materialism because it can lead one to assume things that aren't present and ignore what's apparent. What's materialism? I bet my idea of it is different from yours. Thus I'm a faithless person. I don't need to assume anything about the world. I'm already a part of it

Rather un Christ like.. kind of have to wonder with religions where the Christian comes from.

This thread is like 10 years too late.

Also #not all Christians

Don’t get me wrong, I’m staunchly atheist but I don’t agree with hate-bashing.

nope. its truth and reality. the quran was the final book in the series of abhramic prophets. The only uncorrupted book.

CIte your sources. For someone who always claims to be so enlightened from 5-meo-DMT that's a really dumb take. Fuck the quran and the pedophile false prophet you worship.