View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Eight-circuit Model of Consciousness—Dosage guide needed

Journey into Light

Greenlighter
The Eight-circuit model of consciousness is a theory first created by Dr.Timothy Leary, and later expanded on by Robert Anton Wilson, that "suggested eight periods [circuits] and twenty-four stages of neurological evolution". The last four circuits are post-terrestrial circuits describing altered states of consciousness, psychedelic states, mystical experiences, enlightenment, and cosmic consciousness.

However, dosages of substances generally needed to reach these states seem to be lacking, using phrases such as "high doses" which really says nothing.

I did find that the seventh circuit may be activated by using 200-500 μg of LSD. But the eighth circuit is described as being accessed by (among other avenues) "high doses of LSD."

What is exactly is this "high dose" in micrograms (μg)?

Does a dosage guide exist anywhere?

I think that the level you're referring to would be "thumbprint" type experiences or dosages of like 750+. Just stupidly high doses of acid for normal users and even most "acid freaks" approaching 1 mg doses of lsd is a personal choice that is regarded by most as reckless and completely unnecessary. It is much easier to get a similar "breakthrough" with DMT.

I'm mostly talking from speculation and hearsay/ friends and friends of friends anecdotes. I have not taken these sort of doses and have no desire to as I dont personally believe it allows one to do anything special that more reasonable doses wouldn't also accomplish.

(A lot of people will eat a whole ten strip but I feel like this behavior is usually due to having weaker product. Whenever some quality acid is going around I feel like 5 hits should be good, like absolute max lol)

I'm not saying acid is dangerous but it definitely a drug that needs to be treated with respect and not seen as a magic window into truth so much as a fantastic tool for you to wield as you explore the meaning of your ever progressing understanding of things.

Thank you. I was thinking it would probably around 700 μg. I have not yet exceeded 300 μg nor have I found any DMT yet.

You mentioned taking 5 hits . . . would you consider 5 hits to be about 500 μg?

they were taking 1000-1500 ug doses of LSD in that time. Stansilov grof would regulary dose on 500-1000 ug of acid for his trips.

An acutal dose of 1000 ug of acid is even stronger than dmt. You will lose your mind pretty much live a billion lifetimes see through the veil for infinity and witness and creation and destruction of infinite universes. Its fucking insanity you will travel backwards fowards and around in time you will be forced to live lives as the different gender become one with everything. You will literally travel across space aswell into different time periods experincing every past life future life.

This dose is dangerous and will induce psychotic breaks in most people.

My only concern is to reach the highest state of consciousness and enlightenment possible.

I did mind expanding drugs from 1969 to 1975. The highest dose I took back then was 300 μg. I never took anything again until a couple of days ago. I took half a blotter and experienced a great spiritual renewal. Last night I took the other half and NOTHING happened! I felt like I had a couple of Monster drinks and couldn't sleep. Nothing else. I was very disappointed.

It seems those you mentioned maybe overdid it . . . or perhaps they had built a tolerance level.

What would be the maximum μg for the highest state of enlightenment in your opinion?

300-500 ug will feel like enlightenment if your doing meditation during it. Alot of LSD is weaker than the time period you did them in the late 60s to 70s but has recovered in past few years.

You should wait two weeks between taking LSD to keep that magic enlightenment feeling alive else tolerance builds up if you dont wait a week or two.

So what would be the average "high doses of LSD" to reach the eighth circuit of consciousness?

Accepting above suggestions that 750+ would be too high of a dose to safely take and also considering that Leary may have developed a higher tolerance level to LSD than the general public, what would be your opinions as to how many micrograms (μg) of LSD would probably be needed to reach this eighth circuit level of consciousness?

Last edited:
It is a rare occurrence but it can occur on doses as low as 300-400 ug of LSD under the right conditions. 500-600 ug is considered to be extremely spiritual and if you meditate with a blindfold you will be travelling across the multiverse.

Thank you very much.

I am very prone to mystical states and spiritual experiences. I have NEVER one time ever had a trip that was not spiritual—even on very small doses.

My old friends used to trip and act silly, saying they were having a good time. Some of them said they never had a spiritual experience. I just could not understand that. My trips were never recreational, and they could't be; I always entered a consciousness that was sacred.

You will very much enjoy this book that came out. LSD and the mind of the universe diamonds from heaven. its about a guy who over 20 years took large doses of LSD and went on 73 super deep spiritual trips travelling the multiverse starting in the 70's.

You will very much enjoy this book that came out. LSD and the mind of the universe diamonds from heaven. its about a guy who over 20 years took large doses of LSD and went on 73 super deep spiritual trips travelling the multiverse starting in the 70's.

Thank you very much! I will be sure to read that. I am getting it right now.

Concerning the use of large doses of LSD as promoted early in the movement, I found something of interest in the following statement by Terrence McKenna in Food of the Gods:

"Once a drug is discovered, it often goes through a process of dilution before a general consensus is reached on the most desirable level of effect. Moving from eating opium or hashish to smoking of these substances was such a process, as was the move from large doses of LSD in the 1960s to the current practice of taking small doses of LSD for recreational reasons. This latter move may have been the consequence of the small but persistent percentage of people who suffered severe psychotic breaks after using large doses of LSD. The notion of the "correct" dose of a drug is something that a culture evolves over time."

I mean, if you need to reach eight just go for the dissociatives.

Maybe I'm biased, but I'd rather clear up from a hole than a heroic ten fold acid dose.

I mean, if you need to reach eight just go for the dissociatives.

Maybe I'm biased, but I'd rather clear up from a hole than a heroic ten fold acid dose.

I am not familiar with the phrase "clear up from a hole." I'm an Olde Hippie and not familiar with the newer lingo. Please define.

Thank you. I was thinking it would probably around 700 μg. I have not yet exceeded 300 μg nor have I found any DMT yet.

You mentioned taking 5 hits . . . would you consider 5 hits to be about 500 μg?

Uh I'm considering "good, strong" acid to be around 150 mics or so so 5 would have you hanging right around 750 which is already beyond enough in my humble opinion.

I am not familiar with the phrase "clear up from a hole." I'm an Olde Hippie and not familiar with the newer lingo. Please define.

Just saying there are some shortcuts to the very top. Few are recommendable, but there's something to be said for sidestepping the HPPD risk if you really must go have a look at level eight.

In a more philosophical mood I would have given defining the undefinable a go, but it doesn't seem like that's where today's trip is heading. Can't think of proper models while melting! :)

I have some White on White acid but I am not sure how many micrograms each hit is. I have heard a little Ketamine is added to WoW which is no problem, it being recommended by Leary also. It also has Niacinamide added to it and I have no idea why. Niacinamide is a vitamin and perhaps it helps the acid absorb?

I think we have attested so far that to reach the eighth level as taught by Leary is through 750+ micrograms of LSD, or through DMT, or through using lower doses of acid combined with meditation.

I am going to test a small dose, probably a single blotter, then go from there. I am obsessed with reaching the highest state of consciousnesss possible but I am going to use wisdom getting there.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem like it's added for the exact same reason Paul Stamets adds niacin to mushrooms. If I remember correctly the flushing effect plays a part in his dosing protocol. Add an amide to niacin and you don't get the flushes, apparently.. although both metabolize into a DNA-repairing molecule, which makes sense as psychedelics in general increase the rate of oxidation which you might want to protect your protein generators against.

The amide version is linked to cardioprotective effects. Maybe this particular form has been added in response to the LSD valve mutation hypothesis? Just a wild guess.

I've never heard Leary dissing ketamine, but did he really recommend it? As a contemporary of John Lilly I'm sure he should have had some reservation. It's still generally a problematic substance, it's reasonable to stay conservative here.. but the world of dissociatives has seen some evolution since Leary. Then again, maybe there's indeed wisdom in keeping things simple 'n straightforward, sometimes it's even argued the highest state of consciousness is mere sobriety! Just imagine that one, heh..

I thought I had read somewhere that Leary recommended ketamine. I am unsure where I read that. I do know that Wilson recommended it. Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia on the Eight Circuit Model of Consciousness:

The eighth circuit is concerned with quantum consciousness, non-local awareness (information from beyond ordinary space-time awareness which is limited by the speed of light), illumination. Some of the ways this circuit can get activated are: the awakening of kundalini, shock, a near-death experience, DMT, high doses of LSD and according to Robert Anton Wilson almost any dose of ketamine. This circuit has even been compared to the Buddhist concept of Indra's net from the Avatamsaka Sutra.”

Methoxetamine came close to solving ketamine's problem. But that created new problems.. and now it's banned. Good times, though.

You can always throw some cough medicine at your acid. Tried and true trick. :) Makes your stomach work for your fancy mind state, so you're unlikely to overdo it.