Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Effexor (an SNRI) and Shrooms

hellomyfriend4427

Greenlighter
Hi all,
I have been on Effexor, an SNRI, for about three years now at 75 mg per day. I have tripped on acid once before, and stopped taking my meds two days prior. I got good results and had a great time. I did not feel depressed the next day or anything like that.
Anyways, onto the question. I read that taking anything like shrooms or acid which increases your serotonin levels that much can cause serotonin syndrome in your brain. So would taking shrooms (with a two day break of my meds) be an awful idea? Like I said, I was fine on acid, but I do not want to be the dumbass who screws with my brain forever. I just really wanna try shrooms.
Any responses would be awesome.

(BTW I have done quite a bit of research already, and the answer to this specific question still seems to be up in the air)

:?:?

Shrooms (or rather Psilocybin/Psilocin) are serotonin agonists, not releasing agents or reuptake inhibitors - in other words, they directly activate specific serotonin receptors, as opposed to simply increasing serotonin levels.
Indeed, SSRI's and SNRI's usually diminish the effects of shrooms, acid et. al. somewhat (possibly because the higher baseline levels of serotonin cause the receptors to downregulate, or because the drug has to compete for the receptors with actual serotonin). Still, people on SSRI's/SNRI's are usually able to trip alright, they just require a slightly higher dosage.

So I would advise you to just keep taking your meds as normal with the shrooms... especially since 75 mg is a fairly low dose of Effexor, many patients take four times that amount.

Last edited:
If you wanna be technical about it Effexor takes 3 days to get out of your system. Though lingering effects may still be present stopping your dose for 3 days would probably give you a stronger trip.

Btw I was on Effexor 150mg and still tripped my balls off. But i also have an extremely good shroom guy

If you wanna be technical about it Effexor takes 3 days to get out of your system. Though lingering effects may still be present stopping your dose for 3 days would probably give you a stronger trip.

Except 3 days is usually also when SSRI/SNRI discontinuation syndrome starts peaking. Brain zaps, that weird kind of dizziness, increased irritability... not good for your pre-trip mindset, and thus not really worth it, IMO. Nah, I'd just take a slightly higher dose of shrooms.

Except 3 days is usually also when SSRI/SNRI discontinuation syndrome starts peaking. Brain zaps, that weird kind of dizziness, increased irritability... not good for your pre-trip mindset, and thus not really worth it, IMO. Nah, I'd just take a slightly higher dose of shrooms.

I suprisingly came off it with zero reaction. Probably because of my 4mg a day kpin script :)