• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

ecstasy refrences in mainstream music

they're some really nice lyrics never heard the song and it may or may not be about mdma but it really describes well the sensate focus, mood lift and contemplative state you can get on e. You could say that mdma just helps you find this natural state. As with all music the meaning is in the interpretation. I think I might have to see if i can find that and give it a listen.

Another E reference I saw not so long ago was a film clip for a track which I think was called I'm a DJ and it had these aliens searching the earth for djs and getting them to strut their stuff for them. The aliens reward the dj with the best moves some biscuits which have DISCO marked on them. As the clip progresses the aliens feed the dj too many bikkies and he gets super powers and heaps of arms and lasers coming out of his eyes.

If only that was the only side effect of too many bikkies!

also from around 1982...
soft cell released their ‘non-stop ecstatic dancing’ album, with a debut by a rapper called cindy ecstasy, apparently their dealer.

i read somewhere that mda power was realitivly common in gay new york discothèques in the late seventies and early eighties, and that it wasn’t until manchester when it became part of mainstream culture.

^ Theres a book called "Altered State: The Story of Ecstasy Culture and Acid House" by Matthew Collin which is about all that kind of historical stuff and makes for an excellent read.

^^ Yes, I'd forgotten all about soft cell. Great tune that Tainted Love. Got the single on vinyl.

That's likely true regarding the past history of MDA. I met some Canadian travellers in the late seventies. One described MDA by saying in his best Alberta accent "the happiest times of my life have been on MDA"

MDMA at that time wasn't really widely known of but no doubt many shared in it's virtues at the time

Interesting, not much mentioning of Hardcore electronic music,
with songs like "Ultimate High" - Stargazer, "24-7" - Eclipse and Melvinia and the obvious "XTC you got what I need" - Rob Gee

XTC you got what I need - Rob Gee
Lyrics

"I was having a bad day,
nothings going my way
Couldn't wait to get my pay,
because it was friday
Sat at my desk, waiting for the bell,
as soon as it rang I let out a yell

Just that day everything was going wrong,
As each problem happened they became real long
I went to the club to find my friend,
its only been a week since I last seen him
Always make me feel like im on vacation,
oh does it give me a good sensation
$25 for a night with my buddy,
but I don't care coz he's worth the money

Always make me happy,
when I maybe feel mad
Makes me feel great,
even if i feel sad
If your looking for my friend,
He'll be next to me,
coz he's a little white pill called Ecstasy

Thats right this song isn't about a person,
It's about a little pill called ecstasy
Thats why I got to sing this song and it goes like this

chorus
Oh XTC you,
you got what I need
You make me feel right
and you make me feel nice"

PULP- Sorted for E's and wizz

Oh is this the way they say the future's meant to feel? Or just 20,000 people standing in a field. And I don't quite understand just what this feeling is. But that's okay 'cos we're all sorted out for E's & Wizz. And tell me when the spaceship lands 'cos all this has just got to mean something. In the middle of the nite, it feels alright, but then tomorrow morning.

Oh then you come down. Oh yeah the pirate radio station told us what was going down. Got the tickets from some fucked up bloke in Camden Town. Oh and no-one seems to know exactly where it is. But that's okay 'cos we're all sorted out for E's & Wizz. At 4 o'clock the normal world seems very, very, very far away. Alright. In the middle of the nite, it feels alright but then tomorrow morning.

Oh then you come down. Just keep on moving...everybody asks your name, they say we're all the same and it's "nice one", "geezer", but that's as far as the conversation went. I lost my friends, I dance alone, it's 6 o'clock I wanna go home. But it's "no way", "not today", makes you wonder what it meant. And this hollow feeling grows and grows and grows and grows, and you want to phone your mother and say "Mother, I can never come home again 'cos I seem to have left an important part of my brain somewhere, somewhere in a field in Hampshire". Alright. In the middle of the night it feels alright but then tomorrow morning. Oh then you come down. Oh then you come down. What if you never come down?

TheYellowDart said:
Baker: very little hardcore is mainstream though.. (at least what I consider mainstream)
whoops, after reading the responses I became oblivious to the thread title and forgot... im tired
but I think its still worth mentioning, a lot of mainstream electronic and dance songs still attempt to represent Ecstasy in some way or another, either subliminally or obviously, even if its just the title. A couple are Darude - Ecstasy, Jocelyn and Enriquez - A Little Bit of Ecstasy.
Pretty crappy examples but they were just off the top of my head. but pretty much every song just describes the way one might see the world on E, feel on E, Love, etc. Wether it be directly related they are pretty much are attempting to associate with ecstasy as this is what a majority of dance music listeners are into.
I've known many to hate the music before and fall in love with it after ecstasy, so it only makes sense, it appeals to a lot of ecstasy users in some way or another.

my innerself said:
does anyone remember that song from ages ago called "Ebineezagood" by "The Shamen"?. Pretty much the chorus went something like this...."E's are good E's are good...he's Ebineezergood". That song must be well over 10 years old, probibly singing about some wicked old school Ecstacy. From what I can recall the video clip to it was pretty trippy too.

beat me to it!! =D

I've known many to hate the music before and fall in love with it after ecstasy,

very much true. I absolutely hated that rapper Chingy however one night a few weeks ago I was rolling while listening to it and I was then fully converted to a Chingy fan. I also happen to hate rap music too. However all these beautiful melodies started coming out of the music which I never realised before.

phase_dancer said:
[...]

"No", I hear you all saying, "it couldn't be, Ecstacy wasn't around in '82"

Maybe for all bar a select few, so was the band XTC among that select few?

At the time and for years after, there were some strong accusations thrown at the band claiming the tune was about a drug induced state.

The band always denied it any connection to drugs; a statement which they still maintain today afaik.
Feeling a little creative p_d?

14.gif

By the way....... Call on me: it doesn't say swallow and e!!!! it says follow me!

"Imagine the World Leaders on Pills? Imagine the morning after?" The Streets - Weak Become Heros.

justsayknow said:

Another E reference I saw not so long ago was a film clip for a track which I think was called I'm a DJ and it had these aliens searching the earth for djs and getting them to strut their stuff for them. The aliens reward the dj with the best moves some biscuits which have DISCO marked on them. As the clip progresses the aliens feed the dj too many bikkies and he gets super powers and heaps of arms and lasers coming out of his eyes.

If only that was the only side effect of too many bikkies!

Haha sonic animation!
That clip is funny as.

Another tune of theirs "Love lies bleeding" Was reasonably mainstream. It made it in to the movie "The wog boy"

"I'm feeling lonely I'm feeling shakey I'm feeling sad, I feel free, I feel ecstasy I feel ecstasy I feel ecstasy....."

^^^^
There is also a sonic animation track with a nitrous reference. I can't remember the name but it goes something like:

"I hook the bulb up to my mouth,
pull the trigger 'cos i'm flying south"

Yes i know it's off topic.

The latest album by Raamstein is all about pilling and raving, I think it is the third or fourth track at the end you can just hear (in german of course)
" that night was pumping, but I'm fucked now. Do you mind making me a sweet, milky tea while I skin up? Two sugars bitter"

phase_dancer said:
This subject has fascinated me for years. Never before in the history of mankind has a single drug influenced so much music. I'm not just talking about lyrics, but also the multitude of sounds specifically created for the drug state.

Phasedancer..i rate your posts above anyone who posts here..but i disagree here..what about weed? Plenty of weed friendly music has been made since (pardon the pun!) the 20's..from jazz to reggae, dub..the list goes on....yah cant denigh da presence of jah music in da riddums we here everyday mon! I believe Soft Cell wrote one of the first E tunes as well..

As Neil Young once sang...roll another number for the road!

Thanks for the comments cruiser1, and I agree that weed/coke/booze has influenced much music over the past 80 or so years. But MDMA launched a whole new range of sounds, and arguably also genres of sounds; made especially for the E experience.

So, I'm not saying it's all been a lyrical influence, but more so on non-mainstream dance sounds, which usually find their way into mainstream tunes sooner or later.

We could say the development of blues and rock & roll were also to a large degree affected by other drugs, but the difference is that during the greater part of the 90's, Ecstasy had a major impact, both directly and indirectly, on dance culture and music. It's possibly even fair to say that along side technology, E - or the E experience - showed the way.

Pink - Get The Party Started

one of the more obscure references that got major exposure to the masses in recent years.

i'm coming up so you better get this party started

Last edited:
phase_dancer said:
This subject has fascinated me for years. Never before in the history of mankind has a single drug influenced so much music. I'm not just talking about lyrics, but also the multitude of sounds specifically created for the drug state.

Mind you, there are those who say MDMA was invented to go with the Hammond Organ =D

my innerself and corolla mentioned shamens’ ebeneezer goode and the happy mondays came up as well, but could a song about E have been done 10 years before that?

How about 1982?

"No", I hear you all saying, "it couldn't be, Ecstacy wasn't around in '82"

Maybe for all bar a select few, so was the band XTC among that select few?

At the time and for years after, there were some strong accusations thrown at the band claiming the tune was about a drug induced state.

The band always denied it any connection to drugs; a statement which they still maintain today afaik.

From what i know, the term 'ecstasy' wasnt coined untill the mid-late eighties. Before then it came in a bottle called sasafrass? ..well, in the usa anyways.