European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD What Are You Munching on? V. Fray Bentos Injury Support Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
You usually get it skinless & with the bones removed, so zero hassle.

It's quite a delicate fish but tastes good & is fairly cheap too. You might want to get two small fillets... they aren't that big!

It's the availability thing again. Choice here is basically cod, haddock or salmon (or coley and pollack too if buying frozen). Need to venture a bit further out if I want any real choice but it's a bit of a case of having no real idea what to choose cos I have no idea what I like. I'll take the lemon sole as a suggestion and any others are quite welcome. Fish ain't cheap so would be good to get some ideas of what is what.

Tuna - Oily, meaty texture, medium strength flavour, medium/expensive price
Mackeral- Oily, light flaky texture, very fishy flavour, cheap
Sardines-Oily, light flaky texture, strong strength fishy flavour, cheap
Herring- As above
Salmon - Pink Oily, meaty but flaky texture, distinct salmon taste, medium to expenive
Sea Trout - Pink Oily, like salmon texture but a little more delicate, similar to salmon flavour but a bit more delicate, medium to expensive
Plaice- White, delicate texture, light flavour, cheap
Pollack- White, relatively dense flaky texture, light but good flavour, cheap (great budget option)
Cod + Haddock - White, dense very flaky texture, medium fishy flavour, medium price
Grey(or sometimes called silver) Mullet - White, dense slightly clothy slightly flaky texture, slightly muddy flavour, cheap (not great eating imo)
Red Mullet - White, delicate flaky texture, lovely medium strength fishy flavour, expensive
Monkfish - White, dense meaty texture, medium fishy flavour, expensive, hard to cook nicely (one of my favourites though)
Halibut - White, medium flaky quite delicate texture, medium clean fish flavour, expensive (another favourite)
Turbot- White, dense meaty but flaky texture, medium fishy slightly meaty flavour, very expensive (my favourite)
Bass - White, medium flaky texture, medium fishy flavour, medium to very expensive

The medium to expensive price ones depend on whether it's farmed or wild (good quality farmed is fine but wild is a step above). Obviously that's a far from comprehensive list, but it gives you a rough idea.:)

When it comes to cooking I tend to not fuck around with fish to much and keep it simple. I can cook a good bit of fish though, cooked cod for ramsay a couple of times and there were no complaints.=D

And then there's the minefield of what's ethical to eat cos it's not endangered etc. I try to keep up with the latest on that, but it's difficult. Generally the bigger and slower-growing the fish, the less sustainable it is, if I recall correctly.. (also more likely to be full of mercury etc. as it's higher up the food chain)

It's the availability thing again

I take it for granted being as fishing is a big thing up in the North East of Scoltand.

If you are not used to cooking much fish, then I would suggest Salmon, Trout, Lemon Sole, Plaice, or Haddock.

I notice owen lumped Cod & Haddock together but they are distinctly different in a subtle way. Haddock is quite fleshy & a bit stronger with a sweeter taste. Cod is slightly firmer & doesn't have as much taste but is similar nonetheless. It's a lot easier to overcook Cod at which point it becomes dry & bland - quite common when Fish & Chip shops use it. That doesn't mean Cod can't be very nice though.

So, Haddock would probably be the best one of those two to start with. In my mind, it's the better of the two.

If you cook Kedgeree & Poach fish, then a slight variation of those would be Fish Pie. Haddock, Prawns (small frozen ones are fine), Hard-Boiled Eggs, Onion, Peas with Fennel or Cloves or something & Mashed Potato on the top, I think. I need to get the actual recipe off my Dad, tastes great. :D

*EDIT* - I just picked up some Haddock & will be giving this a shot tonight.

also more likely to be full of mercury etc. as it's higher up the food chain

Yup.

Canned tuna is real culprit there. 2-3 cans of Light Tuna a week over the long term is fine depending on your weight. Albacore, which isn't common in the UK that I've noticed is only 1 can a week or less over the long term. Fresh Tuna still has some mercury in it but isn't as much as a concern unless you are eating canned tuna too.

Apparently your fresh oily fishes can also have other pollutants in them so 2 portions a week. They are pretty expensive though, so god knows who would exceed that!

In the end of the day, if you are eating a varied diet then this won't be a problem.

Just having some toast with Clover Honey on it! Love the stuff... costs more than regular honey but by gosh, does it taste nice!

Last edited:
had some scrambled eggs n toast for brekkie, added a pinch of paprika to the eggs. last night for dinner had chipper, got a snack box and battered sausage.

If you cook Kedgeree & Poach fish, then a slight variation of those would be Fish Pie. Haddock, Prawns (small frozen ones are fine), Hard-Boiled Eggs, Onion, Peas with Fennel or Cloves or something & Mashed Potato on the top, I think. I need to get the actual recipe off my Dad, tastes great. :D

Good call. Never made my own but have had a vague plan to do so for ages. Got some cod in the freezer that was destined for kedgeree but may just be diverted to fish pie. No hard boiled eggs in it though. That's just so very, very wrong :|

Finished me swanky bacon for lunch. Those rashers are stupidly huge. Literally triple the size of Danepak or whatever once cooked. About triple the thickness too. Noticed they do a range of different smokes and cures so may have to work my way through them. I just went for the one that had most in it which was the bogstandard bacon but they had some others there too. Loads of rather fine looking sausages too which may also have to be sampled.

Love kedgeree, was brought up on that stuff. Was thinking about making it instead of the scallops as it happens.

I really could live on kedgeree. Aside from the vitamin deficiencies it may well involve. No hard boiled eggs in mine but I do a kinda egg fried rice thing which is an improvement given how unpleasant hard boiled eggs are (unless one happens to like hard boiled eggs obviously). Oddly enough I would say tinned tuna makes a brilliant kedgeree. Not a traditional one obviously but a generic spiced fried rice wiv fish thing. Nice and meaty so holds up to the spices (I like quite a lot of spice in mine). Tastes somehow "right" to me although have never seen it suggested as an alternative ever. Then again who would suggest tinned tuna for a kedgeree - probably sacrilege to old Empire folk but tastes great.

Yeah heresy tbh, but if you like eating it who gives a fuck!

It can't be kedgeree without rice, smoked haddock and curry powder at the very least though.

I hated Kedgeree for years but I tried some at my folks at the end of last year & it wasn't so bad. Not something I'd make for myself though.

Munching on some cheese bruschetta. Not "proper" bruschetta - packet thereof. Tasty though.

Yeah heresy tbh, but if you like eating it who gives a fuck!

It can't be kedgeree without rice, smoked haddock and curry powder at the very least though.

Curry powder is for people who don't know how to use spices propely :p

And tinned tuna is for people who happen to have it around cos it's cheap and convenient. I agree it's not actually kedgeree which is why I generally refer to it as 'not-kedgeree' and the like. It's a tasty thing whatever it is <3

Status
Not open for further replies.