• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD Film Recommendations v5 - TBC

Chinese subs but crystal clear pic... mind you I only have a small monitor so couldn't speak to anything more substantial. Comments section seemed happy with it though.

This evening's fillum was The Eye in the Sky. Thriller starring Helen Mirren and Alan Rickman (in his last performance before he sadly died too soon). There are several things I didn't like about this... but as it is really quite well done I would overlook them and put it down to dramatic ambiguity rather than the ambivalence it could be seen to do an excellent impression of. Yes the Brits are the heartless bastards whilst the 'Merkins are the teary-eyed heroes but if there is any Hollywood film made since.. well since forever really that this isn't the case for you can colour me buggered.

The vision of all-pervasive drone technology is not exactly reassuring either but even accounting for the questionable stuff it really is very well done. Tense from beginning to end despite (or perhaps because of) almost nothing actually happening as far as action goes. It's much more about the interplay between the military, the politicians and their various legal advisers as they have to make the decision whether or not to pull the trigger on a dronestrike in the middle of a bustling market place. Worth eyeballing - whether from the sky, via biomechanical drone, or even just on tellybox - despite a few niggling annoyances.

Sounds worth a look.

I've seen quite a few decent horror films on Horror Channel on freeview (70) recently (this is a 'what's on tv' item too i suppose) - it seems the quality went up in the last few weeks. Siren last friday was pretty cool, and they've also had 'The Children' and one of my faves 'The Loved Ones' (all on at 9.00 which i thought was a bit strong but there we go). Not to mention quite a few really bad old films which were quite entertaining - plus 'The Invaders' (a Quinn Martin Production) every night at 8.00.

Tonight I have mostly been watching The Lobster.

In a vaguely "near-future" world Couples live in The City. Should anybody be unfortunate enough to cease being one half of a Couple they are checked into The Hotel. Here they have 45 days in which to find another partner. Each night they are given educational encouragement to remind them of the importance of being half of a Couple. And every day they are taken out to The Woods with tranquiliser guns in order to hunt Loners.

Loners live wild in The Woods and are mostly free (aside from being hunted that is) but any form of romantic attachment (let alone sexual contact) is met with severe punishment. Each Loner captured by... guests staying at The Hotel adds an extra day to their time their so they have... may have more chances to become half of a Couple.

The captured loners are, obviously, turned into animals - the crappier type of animal of course. Should those who stay at The Hotel fail to become a Couple before their time is up are also turned into animals - but they get to choose which type so it's not all bad.

Supremely weird film that's also rather brilliant. And also really rather romantic. No really.

(one for you i reckon, vurtual)

I haevn't Included my birthday viewing - a 'cowboy' double bill as I got 'The Hateful Eight' and 'The Revenant' as presents - loved them both.

I think TH8 could be my favourite Tarantino film since 'Jackie Brown' and I love all of them. Even 'Death Proof'.

I watched TH8 the other night and I did rather enjoy it. Just what I'd expect from Tarantino. Samuel L. Jackson was his usual brilliant self.

I saw Finding Dory with some clients today. Was awesome. Love Pixar films.

Tonight I have mostly been watching The Lobster.

In a vaguely "near-future" world Couples live in The City. Should anybody be unfortunate enough to cease being one half of a Couple they are checked into The Hotel. Here they have 45 days in which to find another partner. Each night they are given educational encouragement to remind them of the importance of being half of a Couple. And every day they are taken out to The Woods with tranquiliser guns in order to hunt Loners.

Loners live wild in The Woods and are mostly free (aside from being hunted that is) but any form of romantic attachment (let alone sexual contact) is met with severe punishment. Each Loner captured by... guests staying at The Hotel adds an extra day to their time their so they have... may have more chances to become half of a Couple.

The captured loners are, obviously, turned into animals - the crappier type of animal of course. Should those who stay at The Hotel fail to become a Couple before their time is up are also turned into animals - but they get to choose which type so it's not all bad.

Supremely weird film that's also rather brilliant. And also really rather romantic. No really.

(one for you i reckon, vurtual)

I mentioned that in here a while back - Its a great movie, not the standard run of the mill stuff and well worth a watch. I wasn't that keen on 'Eye in the sky' it was ok and filled a hour or so but didn't really do it for me.

I think we may have the same movie supplier as I spotted that Chinese Hard Coded Warcraft but skipped it as I'm waiting for better version as normally watch everything on the TV.

Another rather offbeat movie is 'Tangerine' (A working girl tears through Tinseltown on Christmas Eve searching for the pimp who broke her heart.) It's just very strange.

I do believe I recall you mentioning The Lobster now you come to mention it, Bear. Meant to get ahold of it at the time but got sidetracked (as tends to be the case with me :eek:) and just came across it as a bit of a random punt t'other day. Very glad I did cos it's one of the better films I've seen in a long time. So rare to see originality like that - and doubly so when it works so well with it. And the quick looksee at Tangerine has definitely peaked my interest so will be giving that a go too - thanks for the heads-up, Bear :)

As for Eye in the Sky, I did enjoy it but I don't really watch a lot of stuff along those kinda lines so I don't have much to compare it to one way or t'other. Kept my interest and raised some intriguing questions and issues so I'd still give it the thumbs up. Although there were definitely some issues I had with it too for sure.

The version of Warcraft I viewed is currently near the top of the movies section of the place I mostly go to and is apparently (according to the comments) a new release with good image and sound quality - certainly looked crystal clear on my (admittedly small) screen. Still got hardcoded Chinese subs though if that would be an irritant. I was an avid collector of "underground" and pirated (as opposed to pirate) films in my teens so am used to watching films with assorted subtitles on them. Probably half of my video collection had Dutch subtitles at the time (which did at least have the minor bonus of teaching me how to swear in Nederlands - somewhat trickier to tease out the swears in Mandarin sadly).

Had a day of 'classics' yesterday - started with a bona-fide 80's Amblin Double Bill - 'Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom' followed by new my BD copy of the of 'The Goonies' which turned up from Amazon yesterday and which I haven't seen in over 20 years. What a fucking film I'm still grinning this morning.

Finished off with the extended cut of 'Terminator 2 - Judgement Day' and went to sleep a satisfied bunny.

Tangerine is a strange movie - its not surreal or anything like that, the full movie is about a disagreement between a prostitute and her pimp/boyfriend and the trouble that surrounds it.

I'll give that Warcraft a shot (not as if I'm paying for it) - we have a 65" tv so some of them can become pixelated or grainy.

**edit**
Worked a treat - some of the more action packed scenes clipped a bit but overall great release - I enjoyed the movie also, lot of questions left unanswered at the end but nice movie.

Last edited:
The Time To Kill.

Deep drama with an amazing cast; Samuel L. Jackson, Kevin Spacey (<3 <3), Matthew McConaughey & Sandra Bullock to name a few... Basically, Samuel's character is on trial for killing two men who raped his ten-year old daughter, but it's based in the Southern states of America so you can guess what issues he faces in the courtroom

Zero Days - A documentary focused on Stuxnet, a piece of self-replicating computer malware that the U.S. and Israel unleashed to destroy a key part of an Iranian nuclear facility, and which ultimately spread beyond its intended target.

This is really worth checking out

Dunno if anyone has mentioned it but Rebirth is worth a watch, I won't say anything about it other than it's a bizarre film!

Give it a watch and let me know what you think!

Zero Days - A documentary focused on Stuxnet, a piece of self-replicating computer malware that the U.S. and Israel unleashed to destroy a key part of an Iranian nuclear facility, and which ultimately spread beyond its intended target.

This is really worth checking out

Started watching this last night Bear, was pretty interesting (I knew of Stuxnet but it was nice to have it deconstructed a bit / some context put into the code etc).

Unfortunately passed out from exhaustion but will probably watch it again tonight with Mrs. Fug.

Now You See Me 2. I really enjoyed it but it wasn't as exciting as the first movie imo, Morgan Freeman more than makes up for that however

Started watching this last night Bear, was pretty interesting (I knew of Stuxnet but it was nice to have it deconstructed a bit / some context put into the code etc).

Unfortunately passed out from exhaustion but will probably watch it again tonight with Mrs. Fug.

We enjoyed it, it is pretty slow paced though but really worth finishing.

Now You See Me 2. I really enjoyed it but it wasn't as exciting as the first movie imo, Morgan Freeman more than makes up for that however

I fancy that as I enjoyed the first one.

We finally got around to watching XMen -Apocalypse, I think it might be me put they all seem the same. It was nice eye candy and it was interesting to see some of the characters building (Storm) but overall - meh. (the hard coded Korean subs didn't spoil it either :D)

Star Trek beyond is out this weekend so a Trip to the cinema is a must

This is a bit of an old one but really worth watching (just watched something with Chloe Moretz and remembered this)

let me in - A bullied young boy befriends a young female vampire who lives in secrecy with her guardian.

The book to this 'let the right one in' is a great book also

Last edited: