Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

e-movies: ecstasy culture in the cinema

lazycat

Bluelighter
Hello to all

I'm currently trying to set up a list of movies related to ecstasy culture, and i need some help with this. Documentaries or tv-programs too.

Old films regarding psychedelia and the sixties are welcome as well, as long as they're not the "american drug panic" kind.

To give you an idea of what i DON'T want in my list, "Trainspotting" barely fits the "requirements" - ok, there's a party in it.

Until now, my list is as short as this:
- The Psychedelics
- Woodstock (an understandable exception)
- Trainspotting
- Modulations (excellent documentary, i own the dvd)
- The Acid House
- Human Traffic
- Small Town Ecstasy (tv program)
- Sorted

I am also open to discuss this subject or any movie in particular...

Thanks in advance...

lazycat

I've seen The Acid House at the movie store, but have never seen it. I've read the book, but is the movie any good?

You don't want Trainspotting, but you DO have it on your list? :| You lost me there...

Anyways, this would be better suited for the Visual & Performing Arts forum, so I'll move it.

Thanks for posting lazycat.

Definitely check out Requiem For A Dream

FuncrusherPlus: I haven't seen the movie, but some friends of mine have and the opinions are not very good.

BlueAdonis: thanks for putting this in the right place. Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly about "Trainspotting". What I meant was that the Danny Boyle masterpiece has the "minimum requirements" to be included: one scene in a rave, and a character thinking about the subject.

Tomorrow I'm going to borrow "Requiem For A Dream" from a friend of mine, been wanting to see it for some time. Most people say it is kinda heavy on the soul... did you like it?

Thank you, people

requiem is less applicable than trainspotting imo. although it is a classic. and yes it is very heavy on the soul.

better living through circutry and 24-hour party people - both quality films.

groove should probably be on your list too even though it sucks.

also ecstasy related:

the anniversary party
mood swingers (aka dead babies)

a little more related than trainspotting: the last minute

Orange County they accidentally give the Dean ecstacy and the brother is a huge junky

oh, yeah, i forgot about orange county.. jack black is pretty damn funny as a guy who'll take literally anything. the lead is tom hanks' son (i hate tom hanks but his son does pretty well). the effects of the e were fairly accurately portrayed. the dean suddenly becomes much more accomodating to the idea of letting tom hanks jr. into the school despite his messed up transcripts. fluffy movie, but pretty funny fluff.

I dont think this relates to your qualifications but it is really funny! HBO has a show called "6 Feet Under" where a couple of the characters mistakenly take some ecstacy that was mixed in with some aspirin. The ecstacy was put in the aspirin bottle in an episode a few years ago and every now and then they have an episode where somebody will take an aspirin(which is really E). Its really funny to see the unsuspecting people "rolling"!

party monster. i haven't seen it yet, but i'm sure there's ecstasy in there somewhere.

Thanks a lot to everyone!!!!

When we try to make these lists always forget the OBVIOUS like "24hour" and "Easy Rider"... I think I now have a list of good drug-related films, and some of them have to do with ecstasy culture, some only relate do the drug, amongst other drugs and tottally different environments.
Some more, anyone?

Still need to check "Go!", "Don't Let Me Die On A Sunday" and the documentary "Better Living Trough Circuitry" (wich I've been wanting to see for some time now).

And Xena, Definetly going to try and find "Party Monster", yeah!

Thanks all!
I'll leave the list here when it's finished, with IMDB links.

Don't know if it fits your requirements or not but Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a classic!

Only one character "does a hit of E" in the movie, but it's a great movie that many people missed:

25th Hour

i 2nd the anniversary party. this was a major hollywood movie that sort of flew under most peoples radar. gwenth paltrow, kevin klein and others were in it and they all drop some 'dolphins' and get down.