• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

DXM to quit Kratom?

ZaphodBeeblebrox

Bluelighter
So the honeybadger that lives in my garbage has been taking pretty high doses of kratom for about a year straight now, and has been needing to quit for a while. She recently discovered DXM when getting a cough and after a few days of feeling great, and realized it had something to do with that. The thing is, she's currently waiting on a delivery of kratom today (when I say high doses, I mean she's putting down like 30-40 grams per day) and today only had about 8 caps @500mg each - so about 4 grams- the whole day. You'd think that she would be in full-scale withdrawal by now because of a lack of kratom, right? Bbut she isn't.... no creepy crawlies, no anxiety, no restlessness - nothing. She did take some DXM (is off before starting a new job) so she just feels like she's high off weed really.

The question I have for this new strategy she came up with on an 'out of body' DXM trip over the weekend (she claims it allows you to take a step back from your life and look at things a bit more objectively) is that maybe it could be used to drop off of the high volume kratom use and actually deal with life sober.

Is it possible? Anyone else tried or is she getting herself into more trouble with this plan?

- Honeybadger don't care

Not sure about dxm but I know for a fact it's fellow dissociative ketamine can kill opiate withdrawals! So I don't see why dxm wouldn't work at least to some extent.
Good luck

Hey thanks! Yeah she did notice some WDs like yawning and a bit of sluggishness start around 7pm but not bad AT ALL - especially compared to the jumping out of your skin, RSS (restless shoulder syndrome), ants in your pants, anxiety filled energy boost that usually happens... The other thing is though that with kratom she’s not quite sure what a maintenance dose is. If she’s used to taking 8-10 at a time, is 4 sufficient to avoid WDs for a few hours? Part of this is being terrified of withdrawal in any form from past experiences, and she’s definitely mind-fucking herself....

We read a few promising papers where it was used in conjunction with tapering methods to lower morphine and opiate tolerance levels in rats, so there must be something to it. I can’t believe I’ve gone this long without discovering it honestly, so many symptoms in the past when I quit other things could have been abated with a bit of DayQuil!

“...DXM prevented the development of tolerance to the antinociceptive effects of MS (morphine sulfate) in rats. This combined oral treatment regimen also attenuated signs of naloxone-precipitated physical dependence on morphine in the same rats.

All of these results indicate that oral treatment that combines DXM with opiate analgesics may be a powerful approach for simultaneously preventing opiate tolerance and dependence and enhancing analgesia in humans.” - PubMed

Anyway, she does recognize the potential for developing yet another bad habit here. Is it rationalizing by using it to cut down to a normal dose of kratom then stopping the dxm and weaning off the kratom completely? She does enjoy it quite a bit.. Long-term use of dxm causes lots of problems, so it’s not something shed use during the entire taper though. Maybe she’d just use it at the start to drop her daily dosage quickly, then once she gets down to a reasonable dose level, she can wean off/stop the dxm entirely.

If anyone has tried this please let us know how it went and whether or not this is worth a shot, because it seems like a really good idea right now!

- Honeybadger don’t care