View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM - Stimulant or Depressant?

Whipped Dream

Bluelighter
Many people describe their experiences with DXM differently. Just wondering how YOU would classify it: A CNS stimulant? Depressant? Both? Neither?

neither, to me it reminds me more of a hallucinogen at high doses but at lower doses it reminds me of, acually it depends on how im feeling when i take it,if im hyper it seems moreof a stimulant but if im tired then i usually end up nodding off

Apparantly, DXM occassionally gets sold in Low dose (120mg) with caffeine as a "Molly", and its effects are easily confused by the Non MDMA user as MDMA.

I orignally set out to try this but ended up doing 800mg then binning my remaining 200mg in horror LOL

I wonder the same about Ketamine and Methoxetamine. At small doses they feel like stimulants

Pharmacologically, being an SRI and NRI, DXM has stimulant effects.
Ketamine and presumably methoxetamine both have act as DRIs, and can thus also be classified as stimulants.

The "depressive" effects, I guess, are the dissociating anesthetic effects. These are not really the same effects as from classical depressants, but I can see how some people would refer to them as such, since you are basically a potato for the duration of the peak of higher doses of these compounds.

Personally, I can't sleep for 6-8 hours after taking a moderate-high dose of either DXM or MXE. I have never tried Ketamine.

I can sleep after a K hole dose of ketamine, say 4 hours later.

A bump of ketamine springs me to life though, i use it to rave on in low doses also.

All depends on the dose to me just dosing about 750mg and it will probably be more like a stimulant but then once the dxm comes over me i will end up chilling out and focusing in on something so wishing my bass booster headphones were working right now

Mx is definitely stimulating at low doses. I get very hyperactive and want to do things - just like I would when on Amphetamine or Mephedrone etc. It's true at high doses you are cabbaged though, even though the DRI effects would be more intense. I personally prefer taking Mx in small doses every 90-120 minutes as I find it incredibly euphoric that way, transcendent euphoria at times!!! It has made me literally feel as if I'm some sort of god at times :D

Pharmacologically, being an SRI and NRI, DXM has stimulant effects.
Ketamine and presumably methoxetamine both have act as DRIs, and can thus also be classified as stimulants.

The "depressive" effects, I guess, are the dissociating anesthetic effects. These are not really the same effects as from classical depressants, but I can see how some people would refer to them as such, since you are basically a potato for the duration of the peak of higher doses of these compounds.

Personally, I can't sleep for 6-8 hours after taking a moderate-high dose of either DXM or MXE. I have never tried Ketamine.

^ Summed up everything I wanted to say, however I'll add that my experiences with Ketamine are the same. With sub-dissociative doses Ketamine is quite stimulating and euphoric, like a light dose of a stimulant, empathogen, or even a very light dose of the more stimulating psychedelics, once you up the dose the dissociation and anaesthesia increase, bringing with them a greater depressant feel.

at low doses it feels like a trippy stimulant and at higher doses it sedates you(from the dissociative effects) without feeling sleepy.

I think most arylcyclohexylamines are stimulants. DXM is too 'cause its a SNRI.

Well IMO, although showing stimulant properties as well, if swim HAD to categorize, he'd think it is a cns depressant because if swim combines it with Cannabis Indica, swim literally shakes until he hits the floor or bed and then swim is fine; he can't move or he will trip baaaad.

In other words, it's muscle relaxing, and enhanced the depressing effects of the bud swim smoked.

Although swim has never done it with other cns stimulants or many times with Cannabis Sativa, at least not enough to remember, swim thinks it could have the ability to potentiate or enhance those effects too.

DXM is a strange fucker, let's just leave it at that fam, because it really is.

A common misconception is that ketamine is a depressant because of assumptions based on its anaesthetic potential. Consequentially people get freaked out by the threat of combining it with depressants, knowing the basic rule that combining CNS depressants can be dangerous.

While not all combinations with depressants and the like, with dissociatives, are hunky dory - (because of other possible contraindications that have little or nothing to do with CNS depression), the above is not true for sheer CNS depression risks. You will not have serious health problems by supression of the heart or breathing, that kind of vital sign thing, although getting nauseous and choking on your vomit may become a bit of a bigger chance than with K and other drugs used separately, also falling or other incidents that I would in some way call secondary / circumstantial or behavioral may be a risk... but again: not the additive direct physical depressive action.
A demonstration is that ketamine is used in big dosages in surgery together with heavy benzos like midazolam, even in children or elderly (especially them), but it should not be forgotten that there is an anaesthesist to monitor just to be sure. But that is relatively safe.

DXM and K are classified as dissociatives yes, but disregarding that main effect and looking purely at CNS stimulation or depression, we DON'T see heartrate, BP, breathing dropping. They may even be a little elevated, dose dependently.
While it's not really comparable to actual stimulants - yeah most of these dissociatives (especially the classical ones, novel ones are more unsure) are technically stimulating to the body even if in a minor way.

The only exceptions are perhaps some 3-HO ACHs or other uncommon ones that have opioidergic effects which possibly add to or negate the minor stimulating effect. They may not really be that safe to combine with CNS depressants, I'd avoid that to be rather safe than sorry.

I would consider it to be a dissociative hallucinogen, and this is what it is categorized as. However, I would say it definitely has very strong stimulating effects, as much as other hallucinogens. In fact, I would say the effects of DXM tend to be more stimulating than other psychedelics.

Both.

In the first 45 minutes of the experience I feel very stimulated (probably due to SNRI activity) and my bpm is very high. In the next stage I get sedated and dissociated and then my bpm drops to a normal level.