Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives DXM Dosing Advice

bycron77

Greenlighter
Hey Bluelighters,

Just looking for a bit of advice on a specific DXM scenario, specifically dosage, as I plan to do DXM tonight. I'd appreciate your reading as much of the novel I wrote below as you can, but here is the (italicized and still longish) TL;DR version:

I've done DXM about 6 times over 9 years and last time (2 years ago), for the first time, hit the third plateau, at about 8.53 mg/kg. I had CEVs, music euphoria, and dissociative fantasies interspersed with periods of relative lucidity. I spent most of the time lying on the couch and not moving much. I was normal to the point where others probably couldn't tell I was on anything about 17 hours after dosing. Peak was 7 to 12 hours after dosing. Residual effects (CEVs) were noticeable for 24 hours or more. I'm doing DXM tonight and am looking for a similar experience but slightly stronger (if I err on one side, I'd rather it be too weak than too strong; that said, I probably won't do DXM again and don't want a totally lame experience). I am planning on doing 9.45 mg/kg but am wondering if I should do a bit (or a lot) less. In giving advice, please consider the following goals and factors: I don't have anything important to do tomorrow; I'd like to appear normal to others within around 17 hours after dosing, as others can't know I'm high, though I plan to basically stay in my room (which has a lot of privacy from the rest of the house) and do nothing during the trip; doing the same dose twice (even a long time after the first dose) tends to lead to disappointing results for me (though I never approached the third plateau until last time and have not tried repeating a third plateau-level dose); DXM takes a looong time to hit me even though I use Hbr exclusively; I unintentionally had what I'd describe as a more or less first plateau experience the last time I took a few normal clinical dose of DXM for a cold, which was about 6 to 9 months after the third plateau dose. I am very interested in thoughts about or experiences with what is described in the bolded text in the previous sentence. I don't know what to make of that experience or whether and to what extent it should inform my dosage this time around. Nothing like that has ever happened to me before.

P.S. If numbers are easier than mg/kg, last time my dose was 600 mg, and I weighed about 155 lbs. This time, I'm considering doing about 720 mg, and I weigh about 168 lbs.

Long version:

Background:

I have done DXM maybe 6 times before, over the period of 9 years or so and have done a lot of research on it over the years. So I am reasonably knowledgeable and have a general sense of how the drug affects me, but I am by no means a regular user or an expert. I was getting bored of low-to-mid second plateau experiences, so the last time I did it (two years ago), I did about 8.53 mg/kg, which got me to the third plateau. I had mild CEVs and emotional flatness/sluggishness up to more than 24 hours later, but the effects had mostly died down (to the point where I could act normally around other people and walk without difficulty) by 17 hours after dosing. I had the expected dissociation, music euphoria, CEVs, thought loops, and robo-walking. When walking, I also had visual flanging -- where my vision went from reality to black every step I took, kind of like an old-fashioned, slow animation real. At one point, I was seeing things in twos or threes. I had two bizarre fantasies (that I can remember) where I would sort of cycle back and forth between reality (as distorted by DXM) and a sort of vaguely defined and malleable dissociated fantasy world.

Three other pieces of background info that may be relevant for giving advice:

1. Contrary to what is generally suggested, I always drinking a moderate amount (sometimes a heavier amount) before the trip and while I am waiting for the come-up. I am experienced with alcohol and pharmaceuticals but have never done any other hallucinogen, so DXM is the most unusual and bizarre drug experience I've had. As a result, I always have some anxiety, mixed with excitement, going into a trip. I find the alcohol calms me down. It probably prevents me from fully experiencing the lower plateaus as I come up, but I think it is worth it for higher doses because, other than the first time I did DXM, I generally don't have too much anxiety during the trip, which I think makes it less likely I'll have a bad trip. I am unwilling to go into the trip without having at least a few drinks (I have a fairly high alcohol tolerance).

2. Sometime well after the last trip, maybe 6-9 months later, I took Nyquil/Dayquil as directed for a cold (for recreational purposes, I don't use products that contain drugs other than DXM, so no need for the "don't be an idiot" warning). For some reason, even though I was taking the normal dose and had never had any recreational effects from a normal dose in the past, I had some recreational effects -- CEVs, nervous system arousal (stimulant effect), music euphoria, and mildly poor coordination walking. This freaked me out because I wasn't trying to get high, though the music euphoria was pretty incredible, synesthesic really.

3. I use Hbr capsules (don't suggest syrup -- not available), and they take a looooonng time to hit. Last time I didn't really feel anything noticeable until about five hours in. My peak was from about hours 7 to 12. This is not atypical.

The current situation:

OK, after that long preamble, here is the current situation. I want to have a similar experience to last time but slightly stronger. Even though my rate of use is less than once per year (I've gone as long as 5 or 6 years without doing DXM), in my admittedly limited experience, when I have a given effect at a certain dose, the effect of that same dose is much weaker if I repeat. Some of that may be that I am disappointed by not getting anything new out of the experience. But the last dose was about 50% more than the next-highest dose before that and it was third plateau (I have no desire to approach the fourth plateau). I intend to do it alone, as always, and it's important that I don't do anything to alert the other members of my household that I am doing DXM. I have the basement to myself and others rarely come down there, so I have privacy. I can probably get about 17 hours without another person trying to interact with me, which hopefully is enough. I don't have anything important to do the next day, but I will have to see the two other people in my house.

Dosage-wise, I have enough to go as high as about 9.45 mg/kg, but I'm wondering if I should do a bit less and, if so, how much less. I would appreciate any advice on dosage based on the experiences and goals I have described, including estimates of how much the effects would differ between this time and last time based on the dosage difference. One thing I've very interested in any experience or feedback on: What do I make of the fact that I got a more or less first plateau experience the last time I took the clinically recommended dose (a few doses appropriately spaced apart)? Does this mean my tolerance may have lowered considerably or should I dismiss it as a freak occurrence? I don't want to take a dose that ends up being a million times stronger than expected. Keep in mind that was two years ago.

Also, I always get those giant alien saucer eyes. Does anyone have a sense of how long those last (I don't remember) or likely will last for me (given the fact that DXM takes a long time to hit me), more specifically how long they will be noticeable to other people. In considering how much time it will take me to seem normal to other people, the saucer eyes seem like a relevant consideration. I do wear glasses, so that might make it a bit less obvious. Are the saucer eyes less obvious to other people than to the dumbfounded user looking in the mirror?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
what is a clinically recommended dose like 30mgs? and first plateau is supposed to be between 100-200mgs? some people lack something that breaks down the dxm in their body and they will get hit a lot harder. i don't know if people randomly loose tolerance to dxm if you were taking it at higher doses before.... this sounds kind of hard to predict. so maybe that's why no one is answering.

also i probably wouldn't be too worried about people checking your pupils if that's what you mean by saucer eyes. i've tripped on lsd in public a lot and no one has ever mentioned my pupils... i get pretty red eyes sometimes too... maybe if it's like your parents and they inspect you closely you could be worried, but people's eyes are different for all sorts of reasons.. i doubt average parents really can tell when their kids eyes are seriously dilated.. i remember my father when i was like 14 yelling at me cause my eyes were dilated and i definitely didn't take any drugs... you'll probably be good unless someone has reason to really get in your face and check your eyes.... maybe some one knows how long on average they will stay dilated for though... IDK...

what is a clinically recommended dose like 30mgs? and first plateau is supposed to be between 100-200mgs? some people lack something that breaks down the dxm in their body and they will get hit a lot harder. i don't know if people randomly loose tolerance to dxm if you were taking it at higher doses before.... this sounds kind of hard to predict. so maybe that's why no one is answering.

also i probably wouldn't be too worried about people checking your pupils if that's what you mean by saucer eyes. i've tripped on lsd in public a lot and no one has ever mentioned my pupils... i get pretty red eyes sometimes too... maybe if it's like your parents and they inspect you closely you could be worried, but people's eyes are different for all sorts of reasons.. i doubt average parents really can tell when their kids eyes are seriously dilated.. i remember my father when i was like 14 yelling at me cause my eyes were dilated and i definitely didn't take any drugs... you'll probably be good unless someone has reason to really get in your face and check your eyes.... maybe some one knows how long on average they will stay dilated for though... IDK...
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, probably like 30 mg every 4 to 6 hours or whatever you're supposed to do, for like a day or so. So it's weird. It was two years ago, and I've never heard of that, so I'm not inclined to make much of it. As far as I know, DXM isn't even known to cause flashbacks.

Sounds like the saucer eyes shouldn't be a problem. I think it's just noticeable to me when I haven't looked at myself in the mirror for four hours and then I'm like this robo-walking saucer-eyed person. No one is going to be looking for it. I think that once most of the major effects have worn off, I don't notice the saucer eyes much. Either they've gotten smaller or I'm better able to see what I look like to a non-intoxicated person. DXM also kind of fucks up my close-range vision (pretty much prevents me from reading), so I'm probably not getting a great look at myself.

That was a brain scrambler of a read. Just gonna say some points.
- Yes, just dose is fine. mg/kg looks fancier and more accurate, but is just another imperfect model. Stick with the grams.
- Wear your sunglasses at night, eyes do give you away
- 7 to 12 hour peak after dosing isn't normal, you're somehow metabolizing differently, so beware for compare..

That was a brain scrambler of a read. Just gonna say some points.
- Yes, just dose is fine. mg/kg looks fancier and more accurate, but is just another imperfect model. Stick with the grams.
- Wear your sunglasses at night, eyes do give you away
- 7 to 12 hour peak after dosing isn't normal, you're somehow metabolizing differently, so beware for compare..
I appreciate the advice. I did the full 720 mg, and it was overall a pretty great experience. I needed an "afterglow" period to process the trip fully, and after that I feel quite satisfied with it. I definitely noticed the increased dosage. I think the experience was less dissociative just as a result of my being more aware of what to expect, but the hallucinogenic effect was stronger, which was cool. My CEVs this time (based on what I can remember of last time) were comparably much more 3D and realistic and colorful, and I had much more noticeable open-eye hallucinations (e.g., everything was "breathing," and well after the peak (a) trees appeared to be swaying and swinging a bit and (b) my dog appeared to be floating off the ground a bit when I stared at her for a while).

The time of onset was much more normal this time. I felt significant effects within two hours of the first half of the dose (I took the second half of the dose about an hour and ten minutes after the first half). I had a much more noticeable come-up and first plateau, which probably had to do with my being significantly less drunk than usual. I think DXM in the past genuinely has taken a long time to hit me, but I think part of the reason it feels that way it that I am usually fairly drunk. I think the drunkenness prevents me from noticing the effects until they become quite strong. So last time it sort of felt like I went from nothing to third plateau. Maybe I had earlier plateaus I wasn't noticing or maybe the alcohol had to wear off a bit before the third plateau really hit. I think being less drunk during the peak made me more attuned to the experience, but it also made it feel a bit more boring and predictable because my head was clearer. But it is entirely possible that the feeling of greater predictability had a lot to do with it not being my first time at the third plateau. I didn't have nausea, but I had significant diarrhea, probably due to the shit that's in 48 gelcaps.

I was also very aware of the difference between how slow time was moving in my reality and how fast time was moving in "objective" reality.

Overall, I was pretty pleased with the experience.

It's funny, because cough syrup sometimes contains some ethanol exactly for speeding up absorption. Though that's rather minuscule compared your average hooch bender. It makes sense that you could have been too sedated to notice the come-up. Yet this still doesn't explain a peak 7 hours in. I'm guessing alcohol could be messing with the liver enzymes needed to process DXM into DXO?

The sorbitol in cough medicine indeed leads to diarrhea. Nothing alarmingly harmful though.

If you find DXM on its own a bit bland, do have a toke on it! You don't need the nausea-killing effect yourself, but it does boost the come-up at lot, and the psychedelic effects in general throughout. Conversely, the DXO kills the THC paranoia.

Also, the best peaks are reached by not splitting up the dose. Iirc, splitting it up slows down the conversion of DXM to DXO, which shifts the effect from dissociative to psychedelic. But it's exactly the DXO that gives the punch to the peak. Again, for amplifying the psychedelic effect, I would just combo with weed instead.