• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

DXM cough syrup (6% ethanol) with codeine

isaaccain

Bluelighter
Got some Benylin Dry Cough Non-Drowsy cough syrup. 150ml, and 7.5mg/5ml, so there's 200mg in the whole bottle. It says on the bottle that it's 6% ethanol by volume, so that's 9ml of ethanol. If I were to have some codeine pills, 30mg each - and I'd take them slowly, maybe 60mg at first, then another 120mg if I'm feeling good - would that 9ml of ethanol be anything to be particularly worried about, in combination with the codeine and all. Like when you drink alcohol with codeine and you might black out and stop breathing or whatever it is that might happen, never tried it myself, I'm assuming it's something like that, right?
Just being careful since it's my first time with DXM.
I have bit of a tolerance to codeine, if that means anything. Probably used it recreationally about half a dozen times over the past month. 360mg 4 days ago; 300mg 4 days before that; and a 4 day 'streak' between 120 and 300mg a few days before that.

And if anyone cares, here's some stats:
14 yrs, 52kg (115lbs), 177cm (5'9 1/2")

I just bought some Robitussin cough syrup today, the PM as it has 30mg of DXM for every 20ml. I have hydrocodone pills 10/325. I've never tried to potentate before, so I'm not sure how much or what order to take them to make my tolerance stay the same. I've heard it's 60-90 DXM, and 20-30mg of Hydrocodone, I assume just taking the cough syrup 15-30 mins before hand on an empty stomach? I have a weird metabolism/tolerance, as I am 6'5, 250, and normally take 4 Norcos at once, just to feel anything, 6 now, just to get a decent buzz.

Your question is, if I drink the whole bottle, would the ethanol interact with the codeine...yes but the alcohol amount is too little to cause problems. I'm more concerned about the other ingredients in the cough syrup, overall, it's bad practice to drink codeine syrup. The brother who posted above can actually extract his DXM very easily, I'm not sure how you would extract the codeine. I would not swallow 150mL of that filth just to have 200mg of codeine, never.

The cough syrup is just DXM, ethanol and some liquid glucose - there's no acetaminophen in it or anything. I get what you're saying though, 30mg/20ml is pretty sweet, it's just that I live on small island, only 14, not many places like headshops or anything, and weed's a good <Snip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Then you're good to go, there's no interaction...just don't get type 2 diabetes.

9ml of Ethyl Alcohol is not going to be enough to make a significant difference in your experience. If you consume all of it, the amount of Alcohol consumed will be equal to significantly less than half of one standard drink. It should always be noted that Alcohol can be very dangerous when combined with other Central Nervous System depressants, but in this case, I feel like it's safe to say that these dosages are well within reason and the realm of safety.

I'd keep it in the back of your mind, but the amount of alcohol in that bottle will not be enough to cause problems for you. Kudos to you for being so damn responsible!

So I did this and ended up getting really low blood pressure, throwing up, going blind for a while, and going to the emergency room. They told me my pancreas was inflamed, but there was no permanent damage. I will admit though, that wouldn't have happened if I didn't end up having 360mg of codeine with 225mg of DXM. I think I probably overdid it on the codeine, I just figured since I had a tolerance I'd be fine. Believe it or not, Bluelight isn't blocked on the hospital WiFi, but Leafly is, and is categorised as 'Abused drugs'. Weird.

Anyway, thanks for all your advice guys, I should've stuck to 150mg or something, huh?

Peace and Love from my hospital bed

Last edited:
So I did this and ended up getting really low blood pressure, throwing up, going blind for a while, and going to the emergency room. They told me my pancreas was inflamed, but there was no permanent damage. I will admit though, that wouldn't have happened if I didn't end up having 360mg of codeine with 225mg of DXM. I think I probably overdid it on the codeine, I just figured since I had a tolerance I'd be fine. Believe it or not, Bluelight isn't blocked on the hospital WiFi, but Leafly is, and is categorised as 'Abused drugs'. Weird.

Anyway, thanks for all your advice guys, I should've stuck to 150mg or something, huh?

Peace and Love from my hospital bed

That would be because Bluelight is for harm reduction.