• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Duterte's war on drugs could put Philippines youths in harm's way, critics say

poledriver

Bluelighter
Duterte's war on drugs could put Philippines youths in harm's way, critics say

High school students in the Philippines will be subject to random drug tests starting in September, raising safety concerns as President Rodrigo Duterte intensifies his war on drugs.

Drug tests will be randomly administered at secondary schools, both private and public, with the aim of preventing drug use and rehabilitating those already consuming them, Department of Education guidelines say.

"Random drug testing for students is considered by the government as entirely a 'health' issue and aims to provide appropriate interventions to those who will be tested positive for dangerous drug use, which will help the student stop further use and/or abuse of the substance," a government statement said.

Any student testing positive for drug use will be sent for counseling and intervention by social workers, the guidelines state.

The move to test younger school students follows a previous government order for mandatory drug testing among students at universities and colleges.

But the plans have drawn sharp criticism from multiple human rights groups, which claim the government cannot be trusted to ensure that students who test positive for drug use won’t become targets in Duterte's war on drugs, which has led to some 12,500 killings since the president took office in June 2016.

Human Rights Watch Asia Director Phelim Kine slammed the policy, saying the government is putting the students in “harm’s way.”

“Imposing mandatory drug testing of students when Philippine police are committing rampant summary killings of alleged drug users puts countless children in danger for failing a drug test,” he said.

Cont -

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/0...lippines-youths-in-harms-way-critics-say.html

This just gets more and more disgusting.

The fact that Donny Gump praised and congratulated this psychopath on his fent-fueled bloodbath makes me disgusted and ashamed of my country, and gives a great perception of United States to the rest of the world, not to mention, throws more gasoline into the fire and destroys the extinguisher.

What's sad is I recently discussed this topic with a Philippine-American whom is a friend of a friend in real life and this moron actually thought this was all good what's going on over there, this discussion even got heated between us. His parents supposedly watch Philippine news frequently and has this idea that all the people being killed are violent criminals who shoot law enforcement and others up and forced death upon themselves. Dude fought hard on everything I said, clearly was incredibly misinformed and not so bright (which I already knew anyway).

Regardless, something must be done, Duterte must go and Trump needs to shut the fuck up. Neither of which I have ANY confidence will happen, unfortunately.....

-PA

I dropped a few comments against this idiot on a youtube vid and I had filipinos going off their head at me saying how it's all fake news and he is a good guy with a very high local approval rating and blah blah blah.

They seem like they are brainwashed or something.

I dropped a few comments against this idiot on a youtube vid and I had filipinos going off their head at me saying how it's all fake news and he is a good guy with a very high local approval rating and blah blah blah.

They seem like they are brainwashed or something.

This was my experience as well in speaking with one in real life. Seems they're getting all sorts of misinformation through their government and news media (not sure if state-run? I wouldn't doubt, and perhaps worth me looking into..). My discussions have become quite heated. Craziness... Defending a bloodthirsty fucking psychopath murdering and terrorizing their own people....

-PA

Funeral for teen killed in drug war turns into street protest
Raul Dancel
The Straits Times
August 27th, 2017

Kian Loyd de los Santos, the 17-year-old killed by anti-narcotics agents as he knelt face down in a dark and dirty alleyway, was laid to rest yesterday with no end in sight to the furore over his death caused by President Rodrigo Duterte's bloody war on drugs.

Some 5,000 mourners turned up for a funeral march that turned into one of the biggest protests yet over those killed in Mr Duterte's crackdown on crime and drug traffickers.

Thousands more lined the roads that led from the boy's home in Caloocan city, north of the capital, Manila, to a cemetery about 10km away. They waited along sidewalks, and stood on roofs, staircases, bridgeways and overpasses to catch a glimpse of Kian's flower-draped coffin on a flatbed truck flanked by tarpaulins bearing the words "Run, Kian, Run" and "Stop the killings".

Many live in rundown districts where Mr Duterte has enjoyed broad support. But this time, they are demanding justice for the victim, a Grade 12 student, who was heard crying, "Stop, please. I have a test tomorrow", as three policemen beat him up, just moments before he was shot three times - once in the back and twice in the head.

A middle-aged woman held a cardboard with the words, "Kian, you are an eye-opener". Others directed their anger at the police, labelling the lawmen as "killers".

Read the full story here.

Philippines' Duterte orders police to kill 'idiots' who resist arrest

President continues controversial declarations telling officers they are free to kill anyone who is violent while being detained

Rodrigo Duterte has told Philippines police they are allowed to kill “idiots” who violently resist arrest, two days after hundreds of people turned the funeral of a dead teenager into a protest against the president’s deadly war on drugs.

Duterte broke off midway through a prepared speech at the Heroes’ Cemetery on the outskirts of Manila on Monday and addressed impromptu comments to Jovie Espenido, the police chief of a town in the south where the mayor was killed in an anti-drugs raid.

“Your duty requires you to overcome the resistance of the person you are arresting ... [if] he resists, and it is a violent one ... you are free to kill the idiots, that is my order to you,” Duterte told the police officer.

Duterte added that “murder and homicide and unlawful killings” were not allowed and that police had to uphold the rule of law while carrying out their duties.

Duterte unleashed the anti-drugs war after taking office in June last year following an election campaign in which he vowed to use deadly force to wipe out crime and drugs.

Thousands of people have been killed and the violence has been criticised by much of the international community.

Cont -

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-arrest?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

No wonder him and Trump are in kahoots. I hate fascist thugs