• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drugs during Uni

^^ I've basically been doing the same. Every few weeks I might get on it, and try not to go 'too' hard so I only really loose that weekend. I've cut down smoking weed, which I defiantly think has helped.

depends how well you can handle yourself after you take drugs and how well you want to do in uni. If you're in the 'P's=Degrees' demographic of students, you could probably afford to do it a bit more.
If you're planning on doing honours or postgrad study (where you'll need to get the HD's to compete for a postgrad spot), just play it cool and do it only once in a while me thinks.

In my break between my 1st and 2nd year, i smoked a shitload of weed and things really suffered for me. I know people who got really into theirs during their 1st year and dropped out. Mind you, i know people who have been well into their drugs and still done well in uni.

Just be careful. I agree with Mongman. Everything in moderation.

I'm in 3rd year doing engineering. I can't afford to take much in the way of drugs time or money wise. I've taken two pills and two trips this semester, one of each at the beginning and one of each less than a month ago.

Acid doesn't seem to negatively affect me - on the contrary, mathematical subjects seem more interesting in the afterglow, and there's also the general motivational boost I find in the week after.

Pills do have more of a negative effect. I had one on the weekend and have been generally lacking in motivation since. I expect this to last a few more days.

I don't smoke weed much because it drains my motivation in the afterglow. I know it's a stereotype but it's true for me. Had a few joint hits the other night and felt even more off balance yesterday. Never doing that again.

In the meantime I have a quiz tomorrow (should be sweet for that) and a report due friday (done all my research, just need to get writing).

I would defiantly recommend only doing drugs during the holidays or maybe at the start of a semester when you don't have much work. Looking at my university results for the past three years, I can almost see exactly when I started taking drugs frequently. Weed seemed to strip me of motivation and alcohol made me waste days recovering. Having a bar in the middle of my university is great, but it has also greatly contributed to my decreasing marks. Just make sure that you keep up to date and don’t settle for just passes if you can do better. (Even though P=Degree!)

Only 4 weeks until I graduate!

^Nice, sounds not too unlike my experience of uni/drugs.

I'm in fourth year Eng/Sci, and I smoke pot less than once a week and do pills less than once a month (I try to limit to once every 2 months but lately it's been more frequent).

I find that pot leaves me feeling muddy headed and demotivated for a few days or even a week afterwards. I dont recommend doing it within 2-3 weeks of exams.

Pills can be varying in damage. I am usually scattered the next day and often the one after too, but have found that I can eliminate almost all scatteredness by going straight home from an event and going to bed by 8am at the latest. Overall i'd say pills haven't been much worse for me than alchohol. After a big night on the piss (and I had many, many in first year) I lose most of the next day in terms of useful work.

The thing about 1st year is this - many many first years party hard for the entire year, don't go to class, and consume excessive amounts of alcohol. If you do lots of drugs and fuck up your 1st year you're not really any different to the college student that drank 5 nights a week and fucked up first year. That being said, you want to at least pass everything so here are a few tips:

1. If you're the kind of person that learns easily and can get decent marks without sweating too hard, then lecture attendance is not essential. Exceptions are 'advanced stream' subjects. Also for subjects like chemistry it will make life a lot easier if you do go to lectures.
  2. GO TO TUTORIALS. Seriously, that one hour a week is where you learn everything. Even if you feel like you're not understanding anything, you're behind, go anyway. I have gone to all 3 lectures in a week and slept thru them then gone to a tute and learnt/understood the whole weeks content.
  3. Read the notes/textbook - even if you wait until SWOTVAC, everything you need to know should be in the subject reader and textbook. I have taught myself many a subject in SWOTVAC and got good marks for it. Eg I taught myself C for a programming subject in 2 weeks by reading 'Sam's teach yourself C in 21 days'. I'd been to 2 lectures, most of the tutes, and I got 85% for it.
  4. DO THE PROBLEMS. Even if you wait til swotvac, try to complete all the homework that was set throughout the semester. 12 weeks worth of questions may seem overwhelming, but it can be finished in as little as 3-4 days if you're determined and have the willpower to sit and work hard for 10 hours a day with only a few short breaks.
    [/list=1]

Anyway, I've passed all my subjects so far, and my average is around 80%. I did very little work in 1st year, but do more now, although I still rarely go to lectures. I tend to cram my courses in swotvac and do pretty well that way.

So you can get away with doing quite a lot of drugs in first year and still pass, but you should realise that things get more serious as you get further into the degree.

I have recently finished a Commerce degree, and have been using drugs for the last couple of years.

My drug use is fairly infrequent, and I don't think it had a negative impact on my studies at all. In fact the last couple of years I would say have been the most productive in all facets of my life.

I think it is all about responsibility. In that sense, illicit drugs probably shouldn't be treated much differently to alcohol. If you use them too frequently, they will screw up your grades at uni. If you have an exam or an essay the next week, you probably shouldn't be writing yourself off on the weekend. If you are responsible enough to not do this, then you probably can take drugs during uni without messing with your grades. If you are the type of person who will put the university responsibilities second, because the opportunity for a huge night has come up, then you should probably be saying no drugs during semester.

You are your own judge of whether or not you can handle taking drugs during semester. I'm sure you know how long it takes you to bounce back after taking ecstasy and feel completely functional etc.

Sorry about the possible incoherence of this post. I should be asleep.

bRAVEheart

Shit, as one of those deep into the bowels of an arts degree. Moderation is probably the key. I managed to abstain from all drugs during semester time last year, and averaged distinctions with ease. That said, this semester I've managed to blow it and smoke way too much fucking weed during the initial stages, and miss most of my lectures. I don't recommend it, its a pain in the ass trying to claw your way out of a hole you've dug yourself.

SO BE WARNED. Even doing an arts degree can't save you from all the perils of uni and drugs. ;)

-plaz-

A hell of alot of people in undergraduate studies at uni take drugs and sell drugs at my unit there was a pot club and we rented out out the class rooms to have a party. allot of dealers too in undergraduate studies

Best thing is to just ease into it. For your very first semester I strongly suggest paying attention and getting a feel for the whole Uni approach to studies. After this though, you can take it easy for the first few weeks and step up as you move closer to end of semester exams.

Like a previous post said, best to keep use for the holiday period and fly straight during the semester. Use WILL effect your mental performance and next thing you know a mountain of work will be on top of you and it will be FF grades, more semesters than you counted on and a HECS debt to rival IMF loans to 3rd world countries.

... and definately scale back your pot use.

^^^^Excellent points eggman.

If you feel you can set rules for yourself and be disciplined enough to stick to them then why not, but Uni/more options in life should always come before drugs.

From my experience if you did all your assignments and were never in the situaton of trying to catch up at the end of the semester it was really not that hard to pass. The hard part was not procrastinating ;)

Uni is all about jumping through the right hoops at the right times.

If you decide to partake in substances then you could always do it on a reward basis where you make rules and stick to them.

During semester you might even be able to use a big night as a rewarb for getting all your assignments/tutorials done and 2 weeks to the exams until the end of exams nothing is to be consumed.

It really depends on the person I think.

For me, it doesn't work :p because I am lazy and I'm one of those people who will leave things till the last minute, then go out the night before an exam etc. But it works for some.

Word of advice...don't smoke weed if you want to do homework.

I personally can't do it (which is why after quitting uni, then going back, I am quitting again) because I suck. Of course thats not just drug related, but also related to the fact that I'm a lazy sod 8(

Although I do think taking my first e in my first semester of uni was a bad idea. :|

If you have good self-control and indulge in non-perishable drugs, might I suggest buying your supply for the year/semester and no more. Obviously this works best for one-off, non-addictive drugs such as ecstasy and psychedelics but I'm sure anyone can do this with their drugs of choice. Plus depending on your dealer, you might be able to get a bulk discount. Just make sure no one knows about your stash for not only legal reasons but also to make sure it lasts the year.

I've drastically cut down on my drug use this semester, for the first time i'm rarely high during the week rather than constantly and i've cut down on the number of weekends that involve drugs too. Hasn't helped at all, procrastination is still my big problem and i still leave things to the last second, i wanna keep up my partial sobriety till the end of this semester so i can figure out proper organisation and time management to get started on things early but i think after i have this figured out im going back to using alot, just slotting drugs into my schedule any time i don't have work to do. I honestly believe if you manage your time properly you can still get away with a lot of drug use without effecting your uni work, i know people who do a range of degrees and none them really require you to put enormous amounts of time into them to suceed so why not use drugs when you have the opportunity, esp. as that opportunity may not exist when you leave uni and get a 'serious' job?

Last edited:
gher, I thought that'd be too risky because if you got caught, it wouldn't be possession - it'd be intent to deal?

As for me, I'm first year engineering so I'm not touching drugs (ecstasy mainly) during semester because I'm a bit sketchy afterwards. My 18th taught me that :)