• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drug addict mother April Corcoran jailed for trading daughter for drugs

damaging children in any way is what creates these kinds of people in the future. I am a rare case. I grew up in a very verbally and emotionally abusive household that I escaped at age sixteen. I chose to go the opposite direction and not continue the cycle though with my ex I noticed there was a lot of my dad's mocking and tone, and I would yell...I realized that I was becoming what had caused me so much pain and I worked on it. I choose compassion and care now.

I am not in any way trying to excuse these two's behavior, but in order to have the belief structure that this type of behavior is acceptable one may have had to experience it themselves. Growing up in a nurturing environment in which you are taught that this is wrong would have really helped these people.

The fact I was able to defeat those behaviors in myself is testament to the fact these two could have at any point stopped themselves and questioned what exactly they were doing. Throw the book at them and the wage they created is what they deserve. That being said I truly hope this girl gets the therapy and love that I required to break the stone around my heart and teach me the right path. It will be a hard road for her, but it is not impossible...

Nice post, MBC, and I am sorry that you had to endure that but happy that you had the strength to escape the cycle.

My story is pretty similar, actually, at least at this level of few details. Emotional and verbal abuse (plus some physical), and I had to deal with it and try my best to come through the other end.

Now I have kids of my own, and I have removed most of the abuse from the cycle, though I (sadly) find my mom's anger coming out of me sometimes. Still, no abuse except for some yelling when things get really stressful, no physical abuse or spanking at all, no emotional abuse really except that I yell sometimes when very stressed, I managed to filter the rest of these things out. It took years of hard work and honest (sometimes difficult) introspection to get to this point. But people can change, and improve. That is why I do not believe in the death penalty - all humans have the potential for profound changes.

People like this should be used as lab rats and crash test dummies.

^^^^That would make us no better than them...

@slimvictor: I believe in the death penalty in two situations:
1.)Habitual sexual crimes in which the person has turned down castration. The death penalty can only be triggered if they have passed the intensive therapy, failed at chemical castration, and failed at physical castration. Sexual violence, pedophilia, etc.. Doesn't change. It is only a matter of time before they re-offend, and at the end of the day, I believe we as society would be to blame (not the criminal) if someone else was assaulted.
2.)A prisoner chooses it rather than continue a life sentence without the possibility of parole. The prisoner in question should be offered therapy and medication, and given a cooling off period to reassess their desire to end their life. It would protect against the cruel and unusual punishment that is long term solitary confinement.
(I believe we need sweeping reforms in how our prisons are run in the states. Privatizing them was a step in the wrong direction, but I guess that was the only way to mitigate the cost of incarcerating so much of our adult and child population)

When it comes to abuse: It gets better as I change. What is weird is the parents that were abusive are completely different with the grand-kids...but there are still some of the things they did mixed in (treating my sisters kids well and neglecting my son.) It is weird to see them when they are with the grand kids. I can't help but be jealous for a few moments but then I just feel happy they do not have to have some of the experiences I had. The one thing that has really stuck with me from the abuse though is it is still very hard for me to completely trust people. It takes me a long time to vet them.

I am going to respectfully disagree with you chef. Anyone who purposely harms a child, especially their own, deserves absolutely no sympathy! None at all! They should be dealt with in the most severe manner possible. Though death should not come quickly. They should endure torture beyond imagination. They should suffer greatly until their very last breath.

You must ask yourself: Will that change anything?

I am reminded of a quote :
“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche

This is a good time to reflect on that quote.