• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Dosage question-chlorobutanol

Limpet_Chicken

Bluelighter
Ok then, just have a few questions regarding chlorobutanol (1,1,1-trichloro-2-methyl-propan-2-ol), a relative of chloral hydrate, although supposed not to lay waste to one's GI tract, as chloral reputedly does if not taken with a whole load of milk, gaviscon etc.

It has weakish-seeming local anaesthetic properties, I got my lip split pretty badly recently, taken a massive chunk out of my oral mucosa. Which hurts even worse than it sounds. There is still some solvent (chloroform/a little acetone) remaining that needs removing, whilst it could be distilled off easily enough, call me a chemistry snob if you will, but I decided to it in the cold, very slowly, which has resulted in the copious throwing down of some really nice looking, glass fiber-like, crystal clear needle shaped crystals:D

I'm just recrystallizing it, to make sure its nice and clean, and of course, to make it look nice%), so a sample was taken of the precipitated crystals, and allowed to dry on a spare microscope slide, just to have a look at the physical properties.

(the slower a product crystallizes, very often, the bigger and better looking the end result will be))

Appearance of the product (which is pure and clean, this has not come from an RC company, or chemical supplier) is as described above, taste and smell are best described as camphor-like, not overpowering, and pleasant.

What sort of dosage levels are best to approach this from? I do have somewhat of a GABAergic tolerance, as I take chlormethiazole daily (I do not plan to mix the two of course, especially given the extremely steep dose-response curve of chlormethiazole...and I can only imagine, that being a chloral hydrate relative, that chlorobutanol itself has a pretty sharp dose-response curve.) My tolerance is not huge, I take 192mg of chlormethiazole base twice daily, have been on it for goodly few months, and I can get away with not taking it, or taking a single capsule daily if I wish to.

I am aware that chlorobutanol has a pretty damn long duration of action, and a half life to match. Could somebody please clarify how long both are? because I want to be able to make sure that its all, or for all practical purposes all, so as to avoid built up residue in one's system from interacting with the chlormethiazole. Lol, with the specific and highly potent interaction of the latter with ordinary ethanol I think that would be a highly dangerous combination. With bog-standard alcohol, the word 'potentiation' doesn't even come close. One of the 192mg caps, a single, small shot of rum, and two pints of average-strength beer, consumed SLOWLY, over a couple of hours was more than enough to produce a damn strong intoxication. If that had been chloral, or something similar, I think chances are that it would be a hospital job, not a pleasant, although pronounced intoxication, or possibly even a pine box job:p

I am not really looking at this compound with an outlook of getting rat-arsed off my face, although recreational potential will of course be explored, but for a handy sleep aid to keep around, and more so, because I'm autie, and am constantly stimulated, my mind doesn't tend to be able to shut down easily. (I feel very lucky to have been born autistic though, I sure as hades would have it no other way:), sure, classical autism has its own unique set of challenges in life, but IMO, they are simply different ones than those running Homo sapiens wetware v.NT=D),

Allergy test has been performed, by topical application of a few milligrams to the sore in my mouth (basically a 3/4'' wide mouth ulcer..uggh) with no signs of a bad reaction.

100mg should be a reasonably safe starting point, should it not? I gather chlorobutanol is more potent by weight than chloral, but AFAIK, doses used were generally above this mark. Any suggestions as to maximum dose?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

^Are you dead set on using it? If it feels anything like chloral hydrate, which I would guess it is, I would pass.

I don't have any experience with chlorobutanol so I can't advise on dosing, but please be absolutely sure that you aren't mixing CNS depressants in, no opioids, benzodiazepines, alcohol, sleep aids, etc.

I've never tried chloral myself, I know only what I've read about it, which, like most drugs, is a fair bit (I'm the type of person that HAS to be continuously assimilating new knowledge and learning, otherwise I'd go spare)

Have you?

I can't avoid opioids, I'm physically dependent on oxy, as a chronic pain patient. In any case, I'm going to start low with this one and run it up slowly and carefully. Taking just my regular maintenance dose of OC.

No telling, before I actually try the chlorobutanol, if its something I'd keep around for practical purposes, but I may as well try it at least once or twice, given its here. I'll not be taking the chlormethiazole while on the chlorobutanol, thats for sure (its similar to a barb, practically speaking, very dangerous with more than small doses of alcohol. I do drink on it, but only 2-3 drinks at most, and only the one of the chlormethiazole capsules)

As I (think I) said, in my OP, I'm not looking for a high out of it, just as a VERY easily available GABAergic sedative, for if I'm really overloaded, occasional use.

I dunno man it seems like your already talking too many other CNS active drugs to fuck around with this shit right now. Save it for some other time in the future, as a CPP also dependent on oxy I know that it just makes us normal, but when combined with other CNS depressants, there is a synergistic effect which can cause fatal respiratory depression and cardiac arrest.

I just don't think that these volatile gases are the solution for your sedative needs.

What volatile gases? this is a solid, crystalline product. Appearance is thin, needle-like crystalline spines/fibers. IIRC it is indeed somewhat volatile, indeed, I intend once it has been completely purified via crashing out of the CCl3/acetone mixture (the chloroform here is NOT intended for inhalation, if I gave that impression!, its merely used as a solvent, and chlorobutanol itself results from a base-catalyzed condensation reaction 'twixt acetone and CCl3)

The final purification step will be sublimation, catching it on a very, very cold glass surface to be scraped off, under a pad of argon to prevent it burning on me. That isn't needed, in fact its complete overkill on an epic scale. But, I like my compounds to have only the very highest standards of purity

I wasn't going to be taking the chlormethiazole whilst experimenting with the chlorobutanol. And like I said, I'll run it up with extreme care, starting way below. Combination with chlormethiazole would be suicide waiting to happen. IIRC it was something like 30+ pills he necked (Which would almost certainly be enough to kill him anyway, but the combination of chlormethiazole and alcohol is what offed keith moon from the band The Who, who had been drinking on it. Apparently only the 5-6 capsules that had opened in his stomach were quite sufficient to kill him :(...a shame, The Who was a great band, grew up listening to them since I was just a wee nipper)

I will assume though that by volatile gases, you meant such things as chloroform, ethers, the fluorinated ether inhalational general anaesthetics like enflurane, desflurane, halothane, sevoflurane etc. ?

I don't class any of those as suitable for human ingestion, as a recreational substance, short of diethyl or diisopropyl ether, which I have drunk on occasion, nitrous oxide, and maybe, just maybe, xenon, as it is completely unreactive and inert towards any possible physiological conditions. Although I found sevoflurane pleasant and enjoyable in the very short time before it knocked me out cold, during anaesthetic induction for my knee surgery.

Regular ingestion of chloral, chloral hydrate, chloroform, chlorobutanol and other compoudns with a trichloro moiety should be avoided - chloroform especially is metabolised mainly to phosgene, a known carcinogen and reactive metabolite... also world war I poison gas. This is part of why the hangover from chloroform is much worse than the one from ether.

Chlorobutanol can be prep'd and purified relatively easily, but FWIW it is not a "good" sedative because...
The pharmacokinetics of chlorbutol were studied after oral administration in 4 healthy subjects on two occasions. Following the rapid attainment of peak concentrations, plasma concentrations fell by approximately 50 per cent in 24 h. After the first dose of chlorbutol, the terminal elimination half-life was 10.3 +/-1.3 days [...] Its half-life in vitro is 37 days at pH 7.4. The long terminal half-life of chlorbutol makes it unsuitable as a sedative drug because of the considerable accumulation which will occur when the drug is taken in multiple doses.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7159691

but if you want still want to try...
The recommended dosage range is about the same as for chloral hydrate,
0.25 to 1.25 gm. (Drill, op cit.; Merck Index). It does work, and in the
higher dosage range results in a groggy, stuporous state. (AB)USE AT YOUR
OWN RISK.

Chlorobutanol is mainly used today as a preservative and antimicrobial. I think it should stay that way. This is truly a compound of last resort - it's like a version of phenobarbital that damages your liver too. To me, this doesn't scream "good for human consumption". Nor does chloral though.

You absolutely should not mix chlorobutanol and other sedatives or alcohol, it's too much of a risk to end up with a crippled liver or dead.

Just what I wanted to know. Thanks.

I certainly have zero intent on mixing with other GABergics. Nor for regular use. Just at most, for very occasional use as a sedative in non-recreational doses. Actually, it was primarily made for the sheer enjoyment of the lab work. I'm Kanner's type autistic, go figure=D

At the same time though, I am certainly not going to simply toss it down the bog. I wish to experience what it feels like, at various different levels.

For lil' ol' speshul ed me, the joy is in the refluxing, the distilling, seeing the fruits of one's labors take physical form, the sublimation to purify, then recrystallization over time, in the cold, to produce lovely glassy-looking, crystal-clear needle like shards:)

So of course, its going to be trialled, very, very cautiously.Going to be getting more 4-MeO-PCP very soon so the tasting shall, lamentably, have to wait. Looking forward to it though. Even if turns out to be a heal of islamite fecal matter, The chemist still enjoyed himself...working on the synth itself, rocking back and forth, lining up the vials to store it in, etc.

Always good to keep SOME form ofGABA agonist around. Plus in this case, the local anaesthetic properties should make it of use in numbing and keeping clean minor surface flesh wounds :) The tiny sample that was recrystallized and stripped of solvent already came in handy, from where a couple of knobheads split my lip (think-inch bt 1'' massive mouth ulcer...whixh,I may add, is every crowbegotten bit as sore as it sounds:()

I trialled it at 1g. I was w/d'ing from opioids at the time. It didn't do much, just ease the withdrawal.

I wasn't looking for something euphoric. Just a practical sedative, at the time, to ease opioid withdrawal.

Sorr6 to redreg u back up old pal (jk)
Would this substitute for benzos I'm Times of need?

I tried chloral hydrate once working at a group home. One of the patients was oddly prescribed the syrup. I took a good pull one night. Don't remember much about the effects, they were just ok as I do recall.