• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Domperidone

Smyth

Bluelighter
What with all the talk on loperamide for treating diarrhea I wondered if anybody has tried domperidone.

I think I ate something bad today because my stomach felt like it was being poked with knives and I also felt a little sick and nauseated because of this. I was surprised at how well the domperidone kicked in to resolve this. Although it is said it has no CNS activity, well perhaps not centrally but it did feel like it has peripheral CNS activity? Maybe not, still it was an idea.

It's an anti-emetic, anf from what I understand it drains everything in your digestive system out of the body.

It blocks the peripheral dopaminergic receptors.

(be careful, it has all the nasty side-effects of older anti-psychotics: extrapyramidal syndrom, dystonia, gynecomastia....)

Domperidone gives me the fear. As does metoclopramide. Don't know why, or how (well, they are dopamine acting - antagonists right?) The effect is extremely obvious. I used to get migraines and I'd take a metoclopramide/paracetamol pill for them. I used to get panic attacks every time I got a migraine. Then one time I was just sick with a stomach bug. Managed to hold down some metoclopramide and got exactly the same kind of panic/anxiety effects as I usually did with migraines. I have since taken it again and repeated the 'experiment.' Recently, I some fentanyl with domperidone fell into my hands. Both times I took it, it gave me quite intense anxiety. Really quite strange, but it happens every time, and is extremely intense.

I thought domperidone was supposed to act only peripherically, not passing through the BBB.. Seems it's not exactly the case though..

Anyway, even if it did not pass to the CNS, I think it would still have anti-emetic activity. High plasmatic dopamine results in nausea/vomiting, that's why levodopa is always (or almost) used with a peripheric l-aminoacid descarboxylase inhibitor.

IIRC, the chemoreceptor trigger zone in the medula has a very permeable hematoencephalic barrier, that may explain.

mitogen said:
Domperidone gives me the fear. As does metoclopramide. Don't know why, or how (well, they are dopamine acting - antagonists right?) The effect is extremely obvious. I used to get migraines and I'd take a metoclopramide/paracetamol pill for them. I used to get panic attacks every time I got a migraine. Then one time I was just sick with a stomach bug. Managed to hold down some metoclopramide and got exactly the same kind of panic/anxiety effects as I usually did with migraines. I have since taken it again and repeated the 'experiment.' Recently, I some fentanyl with domperidone fell into my hands. Both times I took it, it gave me quite intense anxiety. Really quite strange, but it happens every time, and is extremely intense.

Why use Metoclopramide, which causes extrapyramidal syndrom, dykinesia, dystonia, gynecomastia, dysphoria, and a lot of other very nasty side-effects, for migraines; when there are many drugs that work just as good, but with much less side-effects? (Paracetamol/Acetaminophen/APAP for slight migraine, Triptans, Amitriptyline, etc... for chronic migraine; and Paracetamol/Acetaminophen+Caffeine(+codeine) works WONDER against migraines)

Even if Metoclopramide was the only RX med I had access to to cure my migraines, I would prefer to buy Paracetamol/Caffeine tablets and take this, and maybe still suffer from a slight migraine, than having any of the side-effects that Metoclopramide cause!

(with these kind of drugs, I also feel the extreme anxiety that you feel, I always thought it was the dysphoria, listed as a side-effect)