• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Doing a quick taper from dilaudid how bad will w/d be?

Notnangel

Greenlighter
Hello, I am on 8 mg dilaudid 3x daily. This month, I need to greatly cut my dose because I over took. If I take 4mg every other day for the next two weeks how bad will my withdrawal be?

Last edited:
pretty bad I'd imagine ...going from 24mg/day (and I assume since you "over took" you have been doing notably more than that recently) to 4mg every other day is a massive drop especially considering hydromorphone's short half life. of the 48hr period between taking doses, I'd think you'd feel like shit for at least 44 of those hours. you're in a pickle man. may even be better to CT otherwise you're just torturing yourself.

Definitely short lived, yet horrendous torture. Im not even sure "short lived" is as accurate as "concentrated." it will question your decision to live. Undoubtedly it will be hell, but we will be here for you.

You're not going to feel human for a while but try some immodium for the sickness in your tummy. If you can get some gabapentin (I swear by it), it can help with the lethargy. Maybe some valerian root to help you sleep and try to take frequent small sips of water and some multi-vites to keep yourself hydrated and somewhat replenished. You are going to feel like HELL but just remember that you will survive. Others who have had major H addictions have done it and gotten through it, so, so can you!

4mg should stave off wd for a while, now the second day you'll feel it.. personally I'd do 2mg/day, as long as you get some opiates on your receptors, you won't wd..

- Hopeless

Man, I'm sorry but I can't even imagine tapering with hydromorphone. That drug has such a short half life and duration of action, a big dose would barely keep me well for more then a few hours. Try to get some clonodine and some gabapentin. Kratom would help too.

It will be no fun but not extremely difficult. Especially if he didn't Iv, my first time stopping 20mg shorted a day I was out surfing and jogging 3 days later. Last summer I quit 120mg a day IV and drove across the country,half way across I did check into the hospital for a night but I was 40% well a week later, many people here have talked of quitting habits 5-6x as big as this here so it's relative

4mg should stave off wd for a while, now the second day you'll feel it.. personally I'd do 2mg/day, as long as you get some opiates on your receptors, you won't wd..

- Hopeless

That's not true at all. Yes getting some opiate on the receptors is better then none, but when OPs body is used to 24mg plus each day then all the sudden is only getting 2mg? That's a huge drop off and withdrawal will be tough to say the least. Hopefully they can get there next script filled sooner than later.

That's not true at all. Yes getting some opiate on the receptors is better then none, but when OPs body is used to 24mg plus each day then all the sudden is only getting 2mg? That's a huge drop off and withdrawal will be tough to say the least. Hopefully they can get there next script filled sooner than later.

Yeah i gotta go with ovo on this one. You're not gonna do much taking 2mg at that tolerance. However what I THINK hopeless meant is that when withdrawing off opiates, having something in your system, whether it be a 1mg or 2mg of dilaudid, will have you avoid a small amount of the torture from full blown cold turkey.

Hate to sound harsh but the reality is the OP is in for it either way. We all pay the piper eventually.

^^^ this is true. While 2mg per day is better than 4mg every other day it's still a lot, lot less than the OPs normal dose so he will feel some quite bad WDs. They will not however be as bad as with 0mg but they won't be pleasant. Personally I'd rather endure a week of CT which can at least be eased with comfort meds than weeks of feeling partial wds....anyone can handle a bad week but when it stretches on and on it's really tough....

This is why methadone WDs are so tough.....they just go on and on until the person usually can't take it anymore....