• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Does morphine, zopiclone or clonazepam prevent muscle growth?

paranoid android

Bluelight Crew
So ive been lifting weights since January and i have managed to put on quite abit of muscle. I am now working outr with almost twice the weight as when i started on most exercises. I take morphine for pain, clonazepam for anxiety and ptsd and zopiclone for sleep so i still need them. I dont take them everyday just as needed or when i want to get high and i am not addicted to them. I have heard that morphine can lower testosterone but would it do this if you where not addicted? I actually like taking morphine before i work out because it gives me a little boost.

Also would benzos or zopiclone negatively affect muscle growth?

Shouldn't really as long as you're not overdoing it. I don't think taking morphine as a pre workout is a good idea though. Chances are you'll over exert yourself at some point, injure yourself and set yourself back that way.

Everyone's biochemistry is different though. Opiates do lower t levels but regular weights and exercise elevate them. You're probably fine but unless you do the blood work you won't really know for sure.

Never had an issue gaining muscle mass on benzos and opioids (as long as I have the energy to do something to gain and eat well lol) but the zopiclone I have no experience with.
As post above we will have different outcomes in situations but eat well when trying to gain is the most important factor ime/o.
Best of luck with this,
Chupacabra

Definitely watch our for overexertion with opioids, its best to stick to a structured progressive overload plan to ensure you're getting optimal gains without going overboard

I don’t think it’s necessarily the drugs—it’s extremely common to see massive gains when first working out, and then plateauing as you progress, so you’ll need to start implementing exercises that target very specific muscle groups.

If you’re looking for muscle growth specifically, try sets with lower reps (3-5) and higher weights (close to your 1RM if you can calculate that). Don’t forget to rest at least 2-3 minutes between sets!

High weight and low reps, while it is a good range to work in, has less than optimal returned s as someone progresses through their lifting career if the primary goal is hypertrophy. 3-5 reps is closer to the optimal strength range, and depending on the muscle group and level of muscle, going up to 30 reps can be beneficial. Generally the ranges for solid hypertrophy are 5-10, 10-20, 20-30

When going from week to week start out at doing a weight that you can handle with good technique and do enough reps so that you have 2 left in the tank. That's 2 reps in reserve (RIR). The week after hit 1 RIR, then the week after that hit 0 RIR, then deload. This is a rough framework for progressive overload to optimize hypertrophy