• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Does kratom intensify or lessen other opiates?

RUC4

Bluelighter
I’ve been taking Kratom since March off and on, but every day for the past month. Red vein bali, around 8-15 gpd. I recently got some oc 15’s. If I take my usual morning dose of kratom (4g), will it lessen the effects of the oc or add to it, or neither? Does anyone have experience with this?

I take kratom for chronic pain due to medical issues I’m set to have surgery for within 6 months from now. I know I’ll be given pain meds both in the hospital and out during recovery. Should I stop the kratom prior to this?

Any information would be a great help. Thanks ahead of time.

-Ruca

Kratom is addictive, but not illegal. You could tell your doctor, ot if you have 6 months, reduce the dose to eventually get off it before taking prescribed pain meds. I don't kow if it has an efect on your hlood coagulation..

Theoretically should low dosages of both potentiate each other as there are loads of free mu receptors to be activated by both agents while as dosage rises they begin to compete for the targets and then the more potent one (almost always the pill, as kratom is a pretty weak agonist) would win. Kratom has secondary mechanisms though like serotonin and dopamine antagonism and can well diminish some euphoria.

For what it's worth, once when I was still more or less opioid naive, I did some heroin which seemed to be weak and underwhelming, so I've added a cup of kratom tea and next thing I remember is waking up laying on the floor with huge tingles in my extremities (possible marker for respiratory depression). Never tested the heroin though so it might have been laced with god knows what.

When they start your pain meds in the hospital you'll be safe. The easiest way would be to wean off the kratom before surgery and let them find you a good prescription dosage but when you already suffer from chronic pain this will be difficult and hopefully unnecessary. Like starlyte already said, possibly could you explain your situation to the doc, as a pain practitioner he should have heard of kratom and in the end it's legal.

Last edited:
If I were to take any "real" opioid and dose kratom there wasnt much noticed in feeling the kratom.
If I dosed bupre it would take a couple or three days to get anything from kratom. I mean after the first day I would feel "something" but it was mostly the non opioid reactions from kratom.
IME opioids and kratom do not synergize enough to mix.

If I were to take any "real" opioid and dose kratom there wasnt much noticed in feeling the kratom.
If I dosed bupre it would take a couple or three days to get anything from kratom. I mean after the first day I would feel "something" but it was mostly the non opioid reactions from kratom.
IME opioids and kratom do not synergize enough to mix.
Are you saying they don’t add to or take away from each other?

With bupronorphine, which is not an opiod but a blocker, antagonist, it isn't surprising you don't feel the kraton, an opiod agonist, like metha or hero. With opiods it can amplify their effect, but not bupro.
It is legal in most of the usa, but in Europe I don't know. It's been banned in Asia.

For me, kratom definitely blocks the effects of opioids. I used kratom to kick an oxycodone/hydrocodone habit. Worked great-- no withdrawals.

Then, after using kratom daily for a couple of years (and NO other opioids), I wanted to dabble. I took 60mg oxy (pharmaceutical) and it felt like 10mg. Tried a couple more times with both oxys and hydros and got the same disappointing results.

So the good news for me is that I'm no longer tempted to play around with the pills I was once severely addicted to.

For me, kratom definitely blocks the effects of opioids. I used kratom to kick an oxycodone/hydrocodone habit. Worked great-- no withdrawals.

Then, after using kratom daily for a couple of years (and NO other opioids), I wanted to dabble. I took 60mg oxy (pharmaceutical) and it felt like 10mg. Tried a couple more times with both oxys and hydros and got the same disappointing results.

So the good news for me is that I'm no longer tempted to play around with the pills I was once severely addicted to.
This is true. I take Kratom three times a day to manage my chronic pain and have been for the past couple years. My doctor ended up writing me a script for 120 Tylenol 4's once, and when I got home, I took 5 of them (so a total of 300 mg of Codeine), and the effects of the Codeine were non-existent; it merely felt like taking Tylenol. Now, I do realize Codeine is a fairly weak opioid... but before I started taking Kratom, that much of it would have at least given me some sort of effect. What a waste of 120 pills. Lol.

With bupronorphine, which is not an opiod but a blocker, antagonist, it isn't surprising you don't feel the kraton, an opiod agonist, like metha or hero. With opiods it can amplify their effect, but not bupro.
It is legal in most of the usa, but in Europe I don't know. It's been banned in Asia.
Is suboxone only a antogonist ? If this can block withdrawal from opiats and opiods why the hell don't they use flumazanil for benzo withdrawal also a antogonist .?