• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Does fruit juice contain enough water to sustain life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does fruit juice have enough water that you could only drink fruit juice for the rest of your life and live?

Depends on how long you define the rest of the life being. I don't think it would be very healthy over a longer period of time. Anyways, the question is way to ambiguous to do more than ponder. What kind of fruit juice, what other chemicals are in the juice, what is the water % compared to the rest, etc.. Direct pressed 100% juices are usually fairly viscous, and leads me to wonder just how long you could live on it before encountering problems caused by consuming everything else that is mixed with the water you are trying to get at. Something like filtered apple, tomato, cucumber, and any other fruit with a high water % would probably be ideal to attempt the longest period of time.

Buy a bottle of fruit juice. Open it. Place it in an incubator at 37°C. Is there life in the bottle after 3 days?

Question solved. End of thread.

I wonder how long plants would live if you switched water up for fruit juice, especially what they call fruit juice at wal-mart.

^again.... Idiocracy. (its a movie about this, I'm not calling you an idiot btw)

Depends on how long you define the rest of the life being. I don't think it would be very healthy over a longer period of time. Anyways, the question is way to ambiguous to do more than ponder. What kind of fruit juice, what other chemicals are in the juice, what is the water % compared to the rest, etc.. Direct pressed 100% juices are usually fairly viscous, and leads me to wonder just how long you could live on it before encountering problems caused by consuming everything else that is mixed with the water you are trying to get at. Something like filtered apple, tomato, cucumber, and any other fruit with a high water % would probably be ideal to attempt the longest period of time.

I'm talking about this in more of a primal sense, but with applications that could be current. Like say you're in the jungle, and all you do is mash fruits and drink that solution. Can you survive like this indefinitely?

Buy a bottle of fruit juice. Open it. Place it in an incubator at 37°C. Is there life in the bottle after 3 days?

Question solved. End of thread.

Not really solved. Obviously I'm talking more or less about humans only consuming fruit juice. Or other mammals for that matter (apes).

maybe watermellon ? i don't like the idea.

edit: coconut.

i use to live off fruit juice for about a year. Literally only drank water maybe, less than a half dozen times. That was when i was about 14. No adverse effects really, besides it not tasting as good after a year. It was a very varied mix, including all sorts of fruits.

i use to live off fruit juice for about a year. Literally only drank water maybe, less than a half dozen times. That was when i was about 14. No adverse effects really, besides it not tasting as good after a year. It was a very varied mix, including all sorts of fruits.

The reason you had no adverse side effects is because you were 14. :p

There is such people out there who call themselfs fruitarians who eat only fruit and as far as i know, if its organic and fresh and a diverse collection they live very well
This is just simply de facto better than a diet of only fruit juice. Whole fruits contain dozens of compounds not found in the juice.

I can't say I'm an advocate of either, however. Just saying whole fruits > only juice all day.

I find it very amusing that all of you americans/brits think of fruit juice as something that comes out of a bottle. (and i.e has added chemicals). "Fruit juice" is pretty self explanatory, the juice of a fruit.

I find it very amusing that all of you americans/brits think of fruit juice as something that comes out of a bottle. (and i.e has added chemicals). "Fruit juice" is pretty self explanatory, the juice of a fruit.

I still don't think it'd be enough. Especially not if you're exercising. All of the extra sugar in your diet would be terrible if you're trying to get enough water to "sustain life".

If you are referring to me saying

What kind of fruit juice, what other chemicals are in the juice, what is the water % compared to the rest, etc..

Then I didn't mean added chemicals. If you think "fruit juice" is pretty self explanatory then go ahead and thoroughly list the chemical composition of any fruit juice. They most certainly are not all the same. What I was saying is that asking whether so and so can live indefinitely on fruit juice is too ambiguous. If we were to specify the question a bit more by asking can a 18-25 year old healthy male live for X amount of time by acquiring his water only from some specific fruit then we may start getting somewhere. I am of the opinion that without extensive filtering, the amount of juice needed to acquire the necessary water would be unhealthy and unsustainable.

I'm sure some people would do better than others. Anyways, this is all speculation. Maybe I'm wrong and studies exist showing that a human can live this way, but I kind of doubt that anyone would actually fund such a, while interesting, rather useless study.

Maybe I'm wrong and studies exist showing that a human can live this way, but I kind of doubt that anyone would actually fund such a, while interesting, rather useless study.

I agree with this statement. While it's interesting to speculate, I can hardly see this ever being used. If the world was somehow to end up waterless and we had to rely on fruits for water, we wouldn't get very far - you need water to grow plants.

Granted, I would guess that a person COULD survive on just fruit blends. Hell, people survive on soda, though I don't want to think about their insides.

@Shimmer.fade it was just a general impression. That being said, in the OP it has been specified "for the rest of his life". I'm not the OP but I think it's pretty clear that the fruit juice would be from a lot of different fruits, well, you'd certainly want variety if you're going to be drinking it everyday.

Well with physiology the devil is in the details. My point was that while asking, "can I live the rest of my life by only drinking fruit juice for water", there are simply too many factors involved to even guess without narrowing down the variables. There are many variables, which are constantly changing, both internally (within the human body) and externally which influence daily water loss.

What if there was no more clean water, only fruits that adapted to acid rain?

^ Then we'd probably have to go back to what they did in Europe when there wasn't clean drinking water: Drink animal's milk or drink beer/brewed beverages. Do you know how laborous it would be to harvest all the fruit needed to sustain the current population? Or even half the world's current population. I know if there was ever a clean-water shortage, I'd probably be one of the first to die from dehydration, me drinking liters a day and all.

^ This. I'm not lasting very long through a shortage, that's for sure.

I hope only monks survive. It might do the population some good.

Status
Not open for further replies.