• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

does diphenhydramine become psychedelic at high dose?

ongos

Bluelighter
Also known as benadryl. I think I came across an article on erowid about high dosage diphenhydramine becoming psychedelic. Anyone know more about how this is possible? What is diphenhydramine derived from? Is it from an ergot or 100% synthetic? I can't find anything on what is it made from.

no it becomes a deliriant in high doses. maybe it was writen as "hallucinogen" and you mistook it as psychedelic. some people find it enjoyable but most find it unpleasant.
and its very very difrent from a psychedelic. if you are looking for something similar think belladona, datura etc.

Also known as benadryl. I think I came across an article on erowid about high dosage diphenhydramine becoming psychedelic. Anyone know more about how this is possible? What is diphenhydramine derived from? Is it from an ergot or 100% synthetic? I can't find anything on what is it made from.

If you will do a search here at BL for diphenhydramine or Benadryl you will find a whole lot of threads about it and what type of "trip" it causes. Most people say (at least that I have seen on here) that it is an absolutely horrible experience..mostly younger people do it that do not have access to other drugs .

I would do a lot of research on it here at Bluelight before I even though about trying it out.

No but it can become hallucinogenic, sometimes in a very frightening manner.
Don't expect pretty colours and fractals painted all over everything.
A pretty common hallucination from DPH is water dripping from the roof, you can see it and feel it, but it's not really there but you may have a hard time remembering that there shouldn't be water dripping from the roof.
Another common (and more frightening) hallucination is seeing large amounts of insects or spiders on your walls or floors which could look extremely real, not always a fun time.
The main component of delirium which above users have described is an inability or difficulty in being able to differentiate your hallucinations from reality.
This is generally not a problem with serotonergic psychedelics, you are pretty damn aware that there shouldn't be a multi coloured highly complex geometric structure morphing on your roof.

Just don't do it, it's not fun in the slightest. Also the body buzz that comes from DPH is so damn antsy and uncomfortable I wanna crawl outta my skin. Some other common hallucinations that HolyToast didn't mention are phantom cigarettes and coversations with imaginary people. For some reason I always had a ciggarette in my hands (I don't smoke cigs) and when I would drop them and try to pick them up they would dissapear. Also you pretty much have full blown conversations with people who aren't there for up to hours until you realize that person was never there. One time I was talking to my dead aunt for what seemed like an hour till I realized she died when I was younger then she vanished. The whole experience is disturbing, IMO the spider/bug hallucinations are the worst...completely terrifying.

Yeah, I used to get bugs and snakes everywhere. Normally I kind of like bugs and snakes but I was always uncharacteristically afraid of them. Everything looked filthy and diseased, trash everywhere, thick layers of dust.
One time I was storing some things for a friend who was in between places and I thought he came to my window to get them, so I got him his things and handed them out to him, afraid when he turned into white dust that blew away. The fact that I lived on the third floor, and it was raining never even entered my head. Ruined most of his things. Then he came back several more times to my window to yell at me about breaking his things and what a shit friend i was. I still feel guilty about it 20 years later.
One of the kinda cool things that happened a couple times was a green jiggly jello like substance coming out of the walls till it formed a screen that played 3D movies, and only once was the show horrible.
Mostly however I just felt sick, miserable, and scared out of my mind. Metal as fuck, but nothing I plan on doing ever again.

It's a new day though, you can surely find much nicer things out there to experiment with, unless you are really looking for something to make you feel horrible and see terrible things you think are real. Keep searching, and keep reading.

I still speak to a lot of young men who are curious about OTC products that may give them a buzz. While I have filled them in on my own experiences with this drug, I always strongly advise against it. It is a mindfuck, I gain no pleasure from this drug, just a strong sense of detachment from reality. The hallucinations are more likely caused by temporary memory loss, making everyday objects appear completely alien, with our own brains filling in the gaps and thus generally scaring the fuck out of the trippa. Fuck dat shit.....

Heard of people taking hundreds of pills of it, not sure what the dosage is for that. depends on how many mg they came with. the walmart brand only sells 25mg pills. Isn't 50mg still standard dose? I think one person mentioned a dose of 200-400 mg. And what's a serotonergic psychedelic?

a dose from 25 to 75 or 100 tops can be enjoyable either as sleep aid or as a booster to dxm or opiates.

otherwise erowid.org and the forums of bluelight have all the answers you seek - just either use the search tool in bluelight(that sucks a bit) or google your question and add either bluelight or erowid next to it.

serotogenic psychedelics are the classic ones - dmt, lsd, mushrooms etc.
dissociative psychedelics are ketamine etc.

diphenhydramine is an antihistamine that in high doses becomes a deleriant much like datura, belladona, mandrake etc.(all toxic and poisonous plants that no one should be taking really)

read erowid as if it was your bible, then check for furhter information the active threads and archives of bluelight and if you still have questions then ask them :)

still wondering what diphenhydramine is derived from. Is it purely chemical? Is it from a plant? A fungus?

It's a chemical, made by mixing other chemicals.
Still saying you should stay away. DXM is better.

Oh I know to stay away from diphenhydramine. Just curious about its source. DXM is better in what way. Never heard of it til you mentioned it.

Most ways, lots of folks here love dissociatives (like DXM, though only a few prefer DXM), only one seems to like delierents (like DPH) and he gets no respect, and folks are not sure if he's a troll or not.
DXM more profound, more potentially fun, less uncomfortable, less likely to get you a three day observation. Google William White DXM FAQ sometime.

Oh I know to stay away from diphenhydramine. Just curious about its source. DXM is better in what way. Never heard of it til you mentioned it.

Why would you care so much about it's source? It doesn't matter all that much if it was extracted from a plant or produced synthetically... It's still a drug, it's still going to alter your perspective, and you still run the same risks either way.

With that said, I enjoy low doses of DPH. 125mg and a big bowl always puts me right to sleep. As far as higher doses.. Confusion, bugs everywhere, people talking in the distance, and endless restless leg syndrome.

I doesn't hurt to want to learn and understand stuff, but being intrigued to try deliriants is something else.

There is more than one person who takes deliriants but I think a lot of people who are not scared off by datura are into occultism or they enjoy being stone-cold freaks and don't care about the consequences of their deviance and temptation of fate.
You can read all about it in our general deliriant thread, DPH thread and datura thread among others (links via Index below in my sig) or of course much more on Erowid.

Diphenhydramine seems to have overlap but a somewhat different audience. It is a pharmaceutical and doesn't have the same history and legends that are behind datura, I think it is deemed much less appropriate for occultism or shamanism. Conversely diphenhydramine often is used by young people who have very few drugs available to them but are still in an experimental phase. DXM, diphenhydramine and countless other over-the-counter pharmaceuticals are the only thing available and ignorance combined with lack of alternatives probably motivates them to take it.

Suggesting DXM (which I still think is vile and definitely not appreciated by everyone, not even most dissociative fans) seems in line with the premise that only OTC pharms are available but honestly there are much better drugs to recommend as alternatives. I won't go into it though since recommending others to take certain drugs out of the blue is a little iffy in PD, but you can browse through the hallucinogens in the Index.

I think writing an introduction to the different classes of psychedelics would be helpful for those new to it who want orientation and the drug that suits them the most without other people yelling drug names to try.

I think writing an introduction to the different classes of psychedelics would be helpful for those new to it who want orientation and the drug that suits them the most without other people yelling drug names to try.

That sounds like a splendid idea. Covering the basics about what to expect with different substances (phenethylamines, tryptamines, dissociatives, deliriants, whatever), explain the subtle changes in perspective after tripping and how to deal with them (maybe we don't have free will, or we're all one consciousness, or our souls are blahblahblah), debunk major issues (you don't have to hold lsd under your tongue, you probably took x) and so on..

Something like that would be very helpful to those who are interested but inexperienced. I know there are plenty of people who were interested in psychedelics, but were turned off of it because of an overwhelming experience. Or, the other way around, someone finds out they love tripping, and they end up a far-out hippie with HPPD who speaks in riddles, or something along those lines..

I know it would have helped me when I first started out 8)

Sometimes I will take 200mg of DPH to potentiate my DXM trips. It makes the trip more euphoric and interesting. Never had a bad experience at this dose. Never go above 200mg though, you will regret it.

Sometimes I will take 200mg of DPH to potentiate my DXM trips. It makes the trip more euphoric and interesting. Never had a bad experience at this dose. Never go above 200mg though, you will regret it.

Sage advice.

DXM (which I still think is vile and definitely not appreciated by everyone, not even most dissociative fans)seems in line with the premise that only OTC pharms are available but honestly there are much better drugs to recommend as alternatives

Vile? Granted, the side effects can be excrutiatingly unpleasant, but its music enhancement is top-notch (and it can be so cozy!). I've never gotten teary eyed listening to Gershwin on an arylcyclohexylamine. It has a good number of fans who will seek it out even when other stuff is available.

If DXM didn't have all the terrible side effects I would enjoy it much more, but for me I get horrible itchy and get headaches and a gut ache, would much rather sniff some k.
Couldn't ever see myself enjoying DPH though :/