• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Does caffeine kills opioid high?

supersonic89

Bluelighter
Basically that.

I have read many different opinions on this matter.

I take large amounts of caffeine (at least 6 cups of coffee, 2 big cups of black tea and a lot of Coke or Pepsi) and I feel that the more caffeine I take the more opioids I need to get high. So I feel that it does affect in some way.

I also wonder if large doses of caffeine can lower the seizure threshold and that its use with Tramadol or Tapentadol is not advised.

Caffeine does lower the seizure treshold, at least if the dose is >500 mg.

Coffee does contain some substances that are weak opioid antagonists (like naloxone) but it's not clear if there's enough of them to have much effect. There are those also in decaffeinated coffee, but not necessarily in tea or cola drinks.

I ONLY take my Opioids with Coca-Cola. Idk about Science, but for years on Bluelight I searched and found many alike me. It hits faster and lasts longer. The carbonation does more than the caffeine but both play a role. 100% makes it better not worse

I've found that my first dose of Oxycodone with a cup of coffee in the morning makes it kick in quicker, it certainly doesn't make it weaker thats for sure.

Amen! I don't know much about the levels in coffee but bro usually take 20MG for my first dose and the other 20MG spread as 2x and I swear to God the Coca-Cola makes the 20MG work for at least 4 hours instead of 3! I don't know who ever said it would make it weaker? 🤔

The truth is I believe the only drink that will make your opioids of choice weaker is Grapefruit Juice. It will potentiate it if you drink it before an hour or so. But I drank it like with Oxycodone in my mouth and I swear the acidity melted away the damn pills! Probably goes for Oranges too but not sure

Caffeine is a stim so large doses will fuck with the high you get from a downer yeah.

Even though caffeine doesn't really provide much of a "high" it can have some surprisingly strong (rather unpleasant) effects at high doses. One can of Monster gives me a panic attack nowadays.

As for Coca-Cola, fizzy drinks can I believe potentiate some drugs because of a reaction in the stomach. I'm not 100% on the details or how scientific it is but I've read this stated fairly often. Nothing to do with the caffeine content though.

the most simple example of coffee overcoming the opioids can be felt if you do a CWE of pills that contain both codeine and caffeine, when I was really young I did some CWEs with those brands and I would barely feel the codeine because of the caffeine. maybe I would feel an itch and some little bit of pleasure after 20mins of ingestion, but after that the coffee overtakes the whole feeling, upping my hearth rate, making me shaky, GT issues etc

my body is sensitive to caffeine without taking opioids anyway, if I'm on oxy,morphine or tramadol I can tolerate big quantities of coffee. but sober I can barely drink half a cup of coffee because my stomach feels really weird. for me it's always a good boost when I am on the verge of nodding out when I shouldn't nod out, but beside that I rarely use coffee.

I think the coca cola mentioned above helps more because of the coca cola being a carbonated drink, I remember Nicomorphinist talking about how carbonated drinks have an effect on the time it takes to kick in and on other aspects of the release system, although I don't remember the exact scientifical explanation.

I think that it depends on the dose (of both the opioid and caffeine) and what opiate is being used. If you are taking codeine and drinking a couple cans of Monster with it, I would guess that it would mess up your high. If you are using stronger opiates such as morphine and drinking a cup of coffee on the side, I don't see it altering the high.
I always swallow opium with coffee and I don't feel any lessening of the opiate high.
If I remember correct, they combine caffeine with opiates in pills because it makes it a more effective analgesic. Low dose stimulants (at least for me) seems to potentiate opiates. I combine Methylphenidate with opium and it certainly increases the opiate intoxication but one needs to find the sweet spot so that the stimulant effect doesn't ruin the opiate high. If you are after a speedball effect, that's a different situation.

That speedball effect just referenced should've been my first response! Forget science lol. When I was prescribed Adderall straight out of military, I felt my Oxymorphone which I was also prescribed at the time, TENFOLD. Granted I wasn't doing any crazy dosage but 60MG of Amphetamine and 120MG Opana was the most synergistic feeling I can explain. I just awoke and took a shitty 10MG of Oxy with a can of Coke and it makes it work better and kick in faster. It is the carbonation but the Caffeine if anything makes my mood better more rapidly. It's all good

I think that it depends on the dose (of both the opioid and caffeine) and what opiate is being used. If you are taking codeine and drinking a couple cans of Monster with it, I would guess that it would mess up your high. If you are using stronger opiates such as morphine and drinking a cup of coffee on the side, I don't see it altering the high.
I always swallow opium with coffee and I don't feel any lessening of the opiate high.
If I remember correct, they combine caffeine with opiates in pills because it makes it a more effective analgesic. Low dose stimulants (at least for me) seems to potentiate opiates. I combine Methylphenidate with opium and it certainly increases the opiate intoxication but one needs to find the sweet spot so that the stimulant effect doesn't ruin the opiate high. If you are after a speedball effect, that's a different situation.

Caffeine is combined with NSAIDs because it makes the NSAID kick in quicker. It doesn't help analgesia from opioids. I also suspect it's added to make CWE less effective, which is why in some countries (e.g. Canada) you can't get OTC codeine and paracetamol without caffeine.

That's why you get paracetamol + caffeine pills and codeine + paracetamol + caffeine pills but no codeine + caffeine pills.

It just gives me a little mood and energy boost on strong ones like oxy and nicely potentiate tramadol if u don't consume too much of either one but it absolutelly distracts me from or reduce codeine high in my case. It also potentiates tramadol analgesia.