• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Does anything actually exist?

I can’t even contemplate this topic while coming off my mental blinders, my brain mufflers (in the form of dumbing-down med topiramate, amongst others)

That way lies insanity

The void is too close
I offer my sympathies.

I thought this was a simple question to answer.

You are a proof of the concept of free willed human. Right?

Regards
DL

I offer my sympathies.

I thought this was a simple question to answer.

You are a proof of the concept of free willed human. Right?

Regards
DL
Not…really? Have you thought of all the possibilities? That it’s a simulation is the most basic of these…that it’s a game, a science experiment, or perhaps you’re right, nothing really does exist? I know the basic argument, I think therefore I exist but what if we’re all NPCs that are just PROGRAMMED to think we are thinking, and everything we’ve ever done or thought has been planned out in advance? The possibilities are endless and infinite

This enlightened one knows for a fact that the opposite is true.
Ramana Maharshi and Nisargadatta Maharaj would disagree with you, and I'm pretty certain both those men were enlightened. Both talked about the Absolute/God/Self and the relative.

Stagnating is a negative connotation. The Absolute by definition doesn't accept such definitions. The universe or some universal being may well be evolving, but that is a relative thing. An absolute condition doesn't evolve, it just is.

Not…really? Have you thought of all the possibilities? That it’s a simulation is the most basic of these…that it’s a game, a science experiment, or perhaps you’re right, nothing really does exist? I know the basic argument, I think therefore I exist but what if we’re all NPCs that are just PROGRAMMED to think we are thinking, and everything we’ve ever done or thought has been planned out in advance? The possibilities are endless and infinite
Correct, and that is why we have to remain in the real world and not some fiction.

If here ever was a proof of concept for some supernatural or digital reality, it would become the same proof of concept for many such realms. Think fractals.

Gnostic Christian influence in such movie of, one reality over another genre, has been around forever.

My beliefs are many. Where did I indicate that nothing exists? I did note the ?

We are all a part of existence.

Regards
DL

Ramana Maharshi and Nisargadatta Maharaj would disagree with you, and I'm pretty certain both those men were enlightened. Both talked about the Absolute/God/Self and the relative.

Stagnating is a negative connotation. The Absolute by definition doesn't accept such definitions. The universe or some universal being may well be evolving, but that is a relative thing. An absolute condition doesn't evolve, it just is.
Name one, please.

Gnostic Christianity also puts man above God the way Jewry does and would agree with any who did.

God are created by us, as Jesus taught.

I created mine, as you did, with whatever ideology or religion you follow.

Regards
DL

There is a spoon in my hand.

But... How do I really know for sure? I can see it in my hand. I can feel the weight of it in my hand.... But how do I really know, with the truest of perfect certainty, that there is actually a spoon in my hand?

How can you prove it to me? How can you prove to me that anything in this world actually exists? What if this is all a simulation?

We can never know. Therefore science is false!

Male-Generous-Intermediateegret-max-1mb.gif

why do we believe things to be real ?

I do not see that as a true statement.

Have you never tested yourself to insure you have a free will to exercise?

If not, do so now by giving up your free will to mine.

The proof of your free will is your ability to give it up.

Give it up to me by beginning your reply with the letter X.

Even your refusal is proof of your free will so this test is irrefutable proof of your free will.

You cannot give up what you do not have.

Regards
DL

That's not the question though. The OP is asking about the nature of being, not the nature of free will.

I'm not acquiescing or refusing. What you're talking about is simply irrelevant.

who cares?

if nothing is real, we're (seemingly) here. if everything is real, we're here.

it's kinda moot to do anything but live life to the best of one's ability.

Does anything have to actually exist, if it's real for you?

Does it matter?

I don't care if this is "real", or a simulation, or one of God's dreams. The latter explanations are less frightening than the endless abyss of space that we will never understand. At least with a simulation, you know there is something else.

If we are a simulation, it's an incredibly beautiful simulation.

It is a work of art.

If we're just part of the chaos of the universe and there is no God, that's cool too. I guess. There's not a lot of security in knowing that you're part of a rapidly multiplying population of animals that's destroying your home planet and the nearest planet that can sustain life is thousands of years away. But, it's also pretty cool.

"God" is the best explanation. It also suits us the most. This is why sceptics assume religion was created, but it's a coincidence.

There is something way beyond human understanding and experience.

People try to label it. I don't like the word God.

There's something out there, though.

I've always had vivid and prolonged dreams whenever I get a good night's sleep, which is nearly every night.

I've often enjoyed the notion that my dreamworld is every bit as real as my waking hours. Or perhaps I'm really awake in my dreams and "real life" is only me dreaming.

I don't really believe that, but it's fun to imagine that possibility.

We live on a marble that spins around a ball of fire with a moon that makes the sea move.

His Visible qualities are all around so on that day they are without excuse. Not one damn planet out there with life. Heaven which is plural. The stars. The planets and the cosmos are the second Heaven but the third Heaven is where God Himself dwells. The earth is his footstool. Yes it's real. There is a dimension more real then this when your sprit leaves this body.

But... How do I really know for sure? I can see it in my hand. I can feel the weight of it in my hand.... But how do I really know, with the truest of perfect certainty, that there is actually a spoon in my hand?

How can you prove it to me? How can you prove to me that anything in this world actually exists? What if this is all a simulation?

Science is not wrong, according to Hegel; das ding an sich ist ein unbekantenes, the thing itself is unknown, meaning we can only know things the way we percieve them...

According to Kant in his Kritik der Reinen Vernunft there are two types of knowledge, a priori; before hand and a posteriori; afterwards.

A priori knowledge can be analytic, fe that ball is round, here is no perception needed, the term ball already indicates it is round.

A posteriori knowledge can only be synthetic, fe that ball is red; we have to add perception to the term ball.

Kant introduced, however, a priori synthetic knowledge; fe every consequence has an origin.

According to Kant math is also a priori synthetic...

If you want to see it metaphysically, see my post about knowledge regarding Desscartes:

I exist therefore I am comes from cogito ergo sum by Descartes, I think therefore I am and belongs to metaphysics, not existentialism.

Descartes wrote this in his second medtitationes de prima philosophia, the first philosophy and he thought about what we can know; he asks himself for example how can I know for sure anything exists?

He concluded he existed, cause he could think...

Are you being for real? Sometimes sarcasm goes over my head.