• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Does anyone know how Abilify, Effexor, and Xanax mix?

yunxiaa

Greenlighter
Hello all.
Currently on 5mg of Abilify, 150mg of Effexor (venlafaxine), and my psychiatrist is discussing putting me on Xanax. (I believe the starting dose, so 0.5mg/3 times a day.)
Does anyone know how these drugs mix/had any bad experiences with them all together?
Thanks in advance

other than potentially unwanted sedation and other related things, xanax shouldn't have any serious negative interaction with those 2

all 3 have their own potential drowsiness/sedation and xanax might bring that out when added

.5mg x3 per day is very high for a starting dose of xanax, though (1.5mg per day is a lot)

personally, antipsychotics + benzos ruined my athletic ability/coordination when I was younger, if that's a concern (not talking about general exercise, but something like playing basketball which requires dexterity and coordination)

a combination like this is probably going to ruin libido as well

Have you been on benzos before, long term?

I wouldn't take benzos regularly unless absolutely needed. The physical dependence they produce is much more severe than most psychiatrists are aware. Thus they overprescribe. They are only warranted for a fraction of the cases for which they are prescribed.

Never had Abilify, but I'm prescribed effexor at a relatively high dose and also prescribed valium and obtain xanax regularly through other means.

I wouldn't worry too much about interaction between these medications. The best advice I can offer is to keep the xanax dosage as low as possible to avoid building tolerance and blackouts. Xanax is very chill and relaxing but can get nasty at high doses. It's wonderful for anxiety.

Have you been on benzos before, long term?

I wouldn't take benzos regularly unless absolutely needed. The physical dependence they produce is much more severe than most psychiatrists are aware. Thus they overprescribe. They are only warranted for a fraction of the cases for which they are prescribed.
I have not, which is part of my concern with Xanax. I have a pretty addictive personality, so not quite sure I trust myself with it quite yet...

other than potentially unwanted sedation and other related things, xanax shouldn't have any serious negative interaction with those 2

all 3 have their own potential drowsiness/sedation and xanax might bring that out when added

.5mg x3 per day is very high for a starting dose of xanax, though (1.5mg per day is a lot)

personally, antipsychotics + benzos ruined my athletic ability/coordination when I was younger, if that's a concern (not talking about general exercise, but something like playing basketball which requires dexterity and coordination)

a combination like this is probably going to ruin libido as well
Thank you so much for the input! I have a pretty severe panic disorder, so I definitely need something to help with it but I think I'll definitely stay away from benzos for the time being. I am an athlete, so this input is really helpful to me.

Thank you so much for the input! I have a pretty severe panic disorder, so I definitely need something to help with it but I think I'll definitely stay away from benzos for the time being. I am an athlete, so this input is really helpful to me.
I would highly advise you only take the Xanax on a strict as needed basis if this is the case. Taking it daily is going to bog your ability down and inevitably lead to a nasty dependency.

I think I'll definitely stay away from benzos for the time being.
As @Negentropic said, you don't have to avoid them completely. Just take them as needed (when you feel yourself having a panic attack/overwhelming anxiety.) instead of as a preventative measure.

I wouldnt worry doctors prescribe that mix all the time. I was on abilify and clonazepam before being switched to latuda.

Hello all.
Currently on 5mg of Abilify, 150mg of Effexor (venlafaxine), and my psychiatrist is discussing putting me on Xanax. (I believe the starting dose, so 0.5mg/3 times a day.)
Does anyone know how these drugs mix/had any bad experiences with them all together?
Thanks in advance

Does abilify do anyrhing recreationally? Or if u mix it with xanz. Or klonz. Or bud. Info and reply/feeeback would be nice 😄

Thabk you man,
Rafael Fornes

If the Abilify is injectable it can cause you to be unsteady on your feet. I had a problem with falling a lot sometimes when walking full stride snd that was in addition to feeling unable to fully be a part of your surroundings.

Does abilify do anyrhing recreationally? Or if u mix it with xanz. Or klonz. Or bud. Info and reply/feeeback would be nice 😄

Thabk you man,
Rafael Fornes
Nope, it is an antipsychotic. It has zero recreational value. And because it antagonizes dopamine and serotonin receptors, it will significantly decrease the effects of many drugs and blunt your ability to feel emotions (Positive and negative.)