Do you think we'll ever be the same again after drugs?

Do you think you will be a child, teenager, adult, old man, or whatever stage you define your psych and body as currently forever? One day you will be dead.

It sounds goofy, but even though psychoactives change your psych with time, they are actually doing so by being a catalyst on top of being concious.

I'm seeing life as non stop neverending constant change, heres this minuite, now its the past. I am not sure if my substance use beginning with weed, then shrooms,LSD, speed&meth, op8s, coke, RC's now perscription drugs and so on has changed me as a person i still have the same ideals, morals, and agenda
what i can say is they have ALL changed my life

some were for good others for bad, just gotta run with what the universe dishes ya:\

I have often wondered this and the conclusion i came up wit was this: People change no matter what. Drugs or no drugs. Would i have turned out different if i didnt use drugs? Idk. I try not to think bout it to much

I thought the same thing when reading op's post. It seems inevitable that i would follow the same path if not worse without drug use.
It definitely seems it's made its own curve on life and tbh i don't like arguing the point of it being for better or worse, cause at the end of the day it's given me more insight than anything else.

We are all constantly changing and evolving. You're the never the exact same person today as you were last year because you know have the benefit of another year's experience.

^ This. I don't think (short-acting) drugs really change you as much as people make out. We're always going on about how coke users are more violent and how psychedelic users tend to become more spiritual and kind to other people - but I think all the drug provides is a want for change, the actual changes, good or bad, are down to you.

If you don't like who you are now, whether you use drugs or not, then change who you are, only you have the power to change your path, drugs can just give you a nudge in the right or wrong direction.

As far as quitting smoking pot goes, I think quitting it changed me for the better after fifteen years of near daily use... it of course led me to substitute with all kinds of different substances. Looking back at certain friends who criticized me for quitting pot and then getting into other drugs I think the changes widened my perspective a bit. Quitting weed was the first step of many that led me to realize I was self medicating too much, that my so called Recreation was just Self Medication. I still think weed is great for some people, just not me.

I think drugs change people permanently but everything is always changing all the time, people who don't use drugs still change over the years, I think as long as you're trying to evolve it's all fine. Drugs can change people permanently for better or for worse, some people seem to use drugs for a period of time and seem to not change at all. I guess it's all relative. You can use your experiences with drugs as opportunities to grow or as excuses not to.

For me personally I think the drugs that changed me the most were LSD and Mushrooms, they completely changed the way I looked at the world in a way that is completely unique. They redefined the way I see myself in relation to the universe and really made me feel that I could and should live my life the way I want to at a time when I really needed that message.

Well those are my thoughts on the subject, It's all so relative, I think people who go around clinging to their drug days (daze) as a negative time that they wish never happened should try to let go of that idea, accept and own their experiences and move on. If anything drugs have helped me understand how powerful the mind is on it's own. (as I write this on adderall... hard to escape contradiction)

I'm certain drugs have changed me permanently. Mostly psychedelics, like how I see myself and the world. But my other DOC's have changed me I would say too, but not permanently.. although I'm pretty sure my addicitive tendencies will be with me for a long time. Sigh..

Magic Mushrooms , LSD, DMT and CANNABis can be used with no ill effect if used in moderation and of course if you understand and respect these molecules. now drugs like tobbaco , alcohol , cocaine ( crack ) , ketamine , pcp , heroin and meth can be more diffucult to deal with.

some people just have addictive personalities or are depressed and use drugs as a comfort zone to forget or perhaps alleviate their issues.

please remember that if a drug is harmful to you does not mean its harmful to everyone else...
tobacco alone has killed over 100 million people in the last 100 years.
alcohol is no better...

but that does not mean they can't be used ... some people can handle drugs and others can't

The thing is, personality isn't inherent or static. Every single thing we experience has an effect on who we are and how we view the world. Drug experiences can be very powerful; hence it makes sense that drugs can have a dramatic impact on people's personality and outlook.

Would you want to be the same person for your entire life anyway? There's no reason to think that who you are right now is the finished product, so to speak.

Interesting question. I think I also will agree that every experience can change us whether it is drug-related or not. Whatever we learn from an experience can be used to guide our actions in other circumstances.

There seem to be two aspects to change, when it comes to drug use. First there are the altered states themselves, primarily from psychedelics IMO, that often can provide insight and change our perception of reality. I've definitely had experiences that stuck with me and created a permanent shift in how I look at myself and the world.

Then there is the general change that comes from all experiences. Drug use can create a lot of ups and downs, difficult situations, crazy nights, etc. There are a lot of opportunities for growth that come with these, but anybody that is living their life will have plenty of situations that cause them to change on grow, whether they use drugs or not.

So in conclusion, no, we won't be the same. But time spent doing things other than drugs will also make us a different person :)

My substance abuse changed me for sure.. after 5 years of phet abuse and nearly 2 years of IV heroin abuse, i can clearly see the huge change in me, as well i can see that ill never again be the same person i was before drugs entered my life..
I've since become a souless, pathological liar and a criminal to boot.. Before i started using i was a good person with good ethics and never thought that i'd ever be one of those people who could let those values slip away; especially to drugs..
Im not the same mentally either; i have no energy nor motivation at all, as well i've incurred mild brain damage and have a tough time putting my thoughts into words, especially if i'm put on the spot..

I also think criminal activity goes hand in hand with drugs, and i think you can get addicted to just the lifestyle. maybe why so many people go in and out of prison there whole lives.

As far as quitting smoking pot goes, I think quitting it changed me for the better after fifteen years of near daily use... it of course led me to substitute with all kinds of different substances. Looking back at certain friends who criticized me for quitting pot and then getting into other drugs I think the changes widened my perspective a bit. Quitting weed was the first step of many that led me to realize I was self medicating too much, that my so called Recreation was just Self Medication. I still think weed is great for some people, just not me.

I think drugs change people permanently but everything is always changing all the time, people who don't use drugs still change over the years, I think as long as you're trying to evolve it's all fine. Drugs can change people permanently for better or for worse, some people seem to use drugs for a period of time and seem to not change at all. I guess it's all relative. You can use your experiences with drugs as opportunities to grow or as excuses not to.

For me personally I think the drugs that changed me the most were LSD and Mushrooms, they completely changed the way I looked at the world in a way that is completely unique. They redefined the way I see myself in relation to the universe and really made me feel that I could and should live my life the way I want to at a time when I really needed that message.

Well those are my thoughts on the subject, It's all so relative, I think people who go around clinging to their drug days (daze) as a negative time that they wish never happened should try to let go of that idea, accept and own their experiences and move on. If anything drugs have helped me understand how powerful the mind is on it's own. (as I write this on adderall... hard to escape contradiction)

Excellent post!

Nobody will ever be the same again ever. Drugs are one hell of a catalyst for either direction though!

In the words of TMBG:

"You're older than you've ever been and now you're even older, and now you're even older, and now you're older still!"

Well, I personally think that change is a constant in everyones' lives with or without drugs. With that being said, I definitely think that drugs will change a person (almost always for the worse), at least for a period of time.

I am over two years sober and I still don't think I'll ever feel the way I did before I began doing drugs. However, I don't consider this a bad thing anymore! I actually doubt I would go back and change anything if I could because I love the person I am today and wouldn't change myself for the world. I feel that my experiences with drugs have allowed me to garner an infinite amount of perspective on life as well as undeniable "street smarts." For this I am almost thankful for my experiences as I consider said traits to be good ones.

Unfortunately there's a negative side as well, and I don't think I'll ever be quite the same on a chemical level. I am much more apt to become depressed these days. I generally have to fight off depression whereas before I never had a problem with feeling down. Regardless of this fact I am at a point where I am truly elated to be drug-free, and I can now look back on it as a life experience that has allowed for much wisdom in my short life.

So to answer your question on a much simpler level, I would say that no, I will never be the same as I was before but that definitely isn't a bad thing for the most part as I like who I am now, and who I am now has everything to do with my past experiences involving drugs. I wouldn't do it over again if I could but I wouldn't take it back either!

Yes drugs definitely change the person. Your personality is shaped by each and every experience you have during your life, and because drugs alter that experience, they alter your personality.

I'm certain drugs have changed me permanently. Mostly psychedelics, like how I see myself and the world.

This is one point that makes me backflip somewhat from what i posted yesterday, but only that fact... i spose i did not have that sentence on hand. But in reflection i also find this to be true.

I think my alcohol and drug use has taught me how to be more social - although I know I'll never be considered an "outgoing" person, it has made me realize that it is ok to open up to people like I never had before I started drinking and using. On the other hand, I wish I could've found a different way to learn this...

I personally think i've done too many drugs to be the same person i would have been without ever trying anything. Everything from milligrams and milligrams of LSD to Research Chems like DOC. Then theres the opiates, benzos, etc. 8). I don't think it's all necessarily bad though. There's a little bit of both I guess. The psychedelics have made me more open-minded, almost too open-minded. The more secular drugs that i've done for years now though hasn't been the best thing for the most part. I think it has stunted my social growth by about 5-7 years. I would probably be on another career path. That's my main regrets with doing drugs. I just wish i would have had control while going to college and finished.

.....I started doing speed about 6 weeks after I started dating a girl I thought and still think is the love of my life. I had no idea what dark and twisted road I was headed down. Now, almost 3 years later, I am homeless, jobless, penniless, friendless and often ride my stolen bicycle to where she works to spend her lunch hour with her. We used to have life by the balls, I was making over 80k a year, she was right around 40 or 50k...that is before i dragged us all over the country losing everything we owned along the way. She is extremely doubtful I will ever be able to get back on my feet, but I re-assure her that I will....She tells me she wants the man she fell in love with not the person who I have become. I try so hard to tell her I am that same guy, but she looks at me like I'm a stranger and shakes her head. I'm not all messed up looking from the meth, actually I look way better now having lost lots of weight that i needed to lose anyway, it's just something in the eyes...idunno...I've been off speed for 68 days and trying hard to stay away....because I honestly do want to be the person I used to be...

drugs affect the brain, and the person period. no questions about it.

http://www.amenclinics.com/brain-sc...spect-atlas/images-of-alcohol-and-drug-abuse/
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/addiction/drugs/

it takes years for your brain to get back to normal, if it ever gets back to it. i strongly believe that drugs change everyone, even if they don't see it. you can be the most "honest person in the world," but when you tell that 'little' lie about how much you paid, etc, you just lowered your morals.

i mean fuck, if you stay clean for a week you can already feel the difference (at least i did) in your thinking. just think about a month.. then a year and so forth. we put chemicals into our bodies and expect to stay 'normal' what ever that is anyway? lol

once you turn a cucumber into a pickle, you can't change it back to a cucumber.

Last edited: