• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Do you have to "taper off" from oxycodone?

XoTillWeOverdose

Bluelighter
Hey friends, hope you all are doing well! My thoughts are with anyone in pain. Currently I'm prescribed 30mg oxycodone a day (3x10mg) but sometimes take 40mg or so. I want to stop cold turkey. I have been taking oxycodone for about 5 months and was on Norco 10's for 6 months before that. I know this won't be easy, but is it possible to stop altogether? I'm sure I'll have withdrawal symptoms, but as far as I've heard, my dose really isn't that high. I've actually done thos before and haven't had many physical symptoms, it's more the mental ones that give me anxiety and paranoia for the first few days. Thanks for any and all advice!

I WOULDN'T WANT TO wd from 30 mg oxy a day without a taper. you won't be functionable during that period.

Whether you should taper or not is an individual thing. It will lessen the severity of withdrawals and even possibly mostly avoid them if done correctly.

For some people tapering is the way to go but for others tapers don't work well because they discover they kind of have a 'all or nothing' approach to medication where it's just easier to go the quick and dirty way by ripping the bandaid off quickly instead of torturing themselves with the burden of a slow taper.

You'll just have to try and see which works best for you. By no means do you have to do it one way or the other.

I prefer to quit opiates cold turkey if i have a small dose just a few hours in it just makes it worse, if I take a big enough dose though..its a different story

I had zero issues getting off about a year and a half (something about that time, as far as I can remember...) with the help of taking low doses of Ketamine (Pharmaceutical Grade K,?from about 20 to 60 - 80mgs when I thought it would be needed and yeah, felt like that) - administering it solely intrarectally, often at the evenings and nights, especially as a sleep aid!

It was the easiest way to get off an Opioid/Opiate, compared to slowly reducing my dosing regimen until I could completely cease further intake...

OP, you have a fairly decent plant in place. You should expect to experience some pretty significant discomfort during this experience, but don't be afraid. Your dose is nothing to scoff at, but it's not the type of deal that will leave you in a fetal position for a few days. I was a Heroin addict for about a decade and I've found in my travels that Gabapentinois are your friend. They work for some folks and for others they don't really do much, but if they work, they work GOOD.

If you have any questions at all regarding the process or what you should expect, you can hit any of us up. I just cleared my inbox so you can definitely PM me. I don't mind helping out at all! We can determine a pretty straightforward taper and discuss the best and most effective ways of utilizing the meds that you have at your disposal.

At any rate, you will be fine and you have a whole village here willing to help. Nothing to be scared of at all, but preparing for the worst and expecting the worst is your best course of action here.

cut it down 10mg every week
then od turkey for a week
be done in a month
its a mental thing aswell