• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Do you have an alltime favorite movie?

wanderer21

Bluelighter
I can't say what my alltime favorite is...I have a favorite romantic movie, favorite action...actually what am I saying..as soon as I think about it, I realize that my favorites switch depending on the day and mood I am in, and when I try to say a genre favorite I babble off about six titles...

I was wondering do any of you have an alltime favorite movie?

i can't believe that we didn't already have a favourite movie of all time thread! thanks for starting this wanderer21.

we do have this related reading: top five films

so, the challenge is for people to name one movie which is their all time favourite.

for me it's easy. this film has been top of my list since the day i saw it and has never been bumped from the #1 spot: 12 angry men (1957)

it contains one of my favourite movie scenes of all time too: Pick one scene or image that you feel represents cinematic genious!

alasdair

Last edited:
i havent found the movie yet.... i would love something that would just drop my jaw to the floor and have it never return

i have a favorite if im feeling pouty, or sensual, or rough, or angry... and so on. even within each genre my favorite will switch on mood, what ive seen recently and other factors

mmm if i had to choose: 24 hour party people, but i liked the dreamers really much too.. 8(

12 Angry Men is a GREAT selection.

I actually watched it for the 2303432432 time last night on Showtime.

I don't have A favorite movie but a few stand out.

Rounders
Training Day
Groundhog Day
Enemy of the State

are the 4 that I'd put up there as favorites all time.

^^^ :D

i've got too many, i find this really tough. there are a few films which i *can* always go back to and enjoy though. if you'd asked me this time last year, i would have said mulholland drive. i think i've gotten as much as i possibly can out of it now (for the moment, anyway), and it has thus slipped a little in my mind. i still think it's an absolutely brilliant piece of art, but perhaps isn't so ahead in my mind as it used to be.

so...i would have to pick from amelie (i watched this five times in a week a few months back, when i first bought the dvd - this is not something i would normally do), le mepris (contempt in english - godard's greatest film, starring bridget bardot...an absolutely amazing study of a human relationship and emotions), fight club (i can't say enough about this, really...it's all about style though), and lost in translation.

i'm pretty big on aesthetics and cinematography, and the above films illustrate everything that i love about the cinema. but what elevates them, for me, is the insight which they each offer into *real people*. in each of these movies i feel a human connection that goes beyond anything else i've seen. of course amelie is a fantasy, but it has so many of those little touches of joy that make life worth living on the odd occasion that i actually feel that way.

contempt is *the* break-up movie. it's so so so so so true to life that it's not funny. to me, i just enjoy watching the fact that godard has *such* an understanding of human relationships, and i love the way he shows us visually.

lost in translation is similarly, just real. i can't describe it any further than that.

and though fight club is fairly strangely cartoonish, i relate to a lot of its nihillistic kind of thematics. it's got some fairly nice neo-philosophising, too :)

since everyone else is cheating i'd like to add...

-Rashomon (the japanese 12 angry men- excellent story and direction)
-Every Stanley Kubrick movie especially 2001- A Space Odyssey (i watched The Killing again last night)
-Every Hayao Miyazaki movie, especially the ones with spiritual themes (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro, and although not very spiritual Laputa Castle In The Sky is great fun)
-I can watch Contact in any mood and repeatedly and never get tired of it.
-Apocalype Now Redux, Godfather 1 & 2 are exquisite
-Dancer In The Dark is so tragically beautiful
-Requiem For A Dream is so..... very..... effective (i'll never take drugs nor go to a doctor again! WAAAAA!)
-A little known anime called Roujin Z is also one of my favourates. Katsuhiro Otomo takes biomechanical design and climax to a whole new level.

Ed Wood films absolutely amaze me (particularly Glen or Glenda and Plan 9 From Outer Space). He's definitely an inspiration.

I've never been able to choose one as my absolute favorite. I like too many movies to choose just one as my all time favorite.