• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

do you get an annual flu shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only gotten 3 flu shots since i've been old enough to remember. One of those years was the only time I got the flu. Flu shots only inocculate you against the most common strain at the start of the season. If that strain mutates once, your flu shot is rendered ineffective. So it may offer some protection at the beginning of the season, but later in the season, not so much. Given the questionable nature of some of the preservatives etc in flu shots I would sayoverall its not worth it.

Last edited:
i get one nowadays because my annual checkup is at the beginning of the season and my doctor always asks. if he didn't i would probably never remember.

i have never gotten the flu, either. then again i have a brother who insists he gets it every year, because he will have a cold for 3-4 days. he's an idiot.

And that's another thing: I can't count the number of people who erroneously call every stomach virus, cold virus, bacterial infection, and case of food poisoning "the flu". There is no such thing as the "stomach flu", people! Influenza is a long-lasting virus that primarily affects the respiratory system and lasts no less than a week in most cases. It causes extreme exhaustion, lung pain and coughing, sore throat, fever, muscle aches, and occasionally nausea and vomiting, but usually not. While there are numerous flu strains, not every illness is "the flu".

One of my biggest pet peeves :/

I have gotten them a handful of times and got sick to varying degrees 1-3 days after getting the shot. The most severe reaction I got was a full-blown case of the flu the morning after getting the shot, which put me out of work for 5 days and ruined my Christmas that year. :(

I definately got sick the day after I got the shot but I was warned that would happen

Yes. I have gotten it for about 8-9 years. I work in medicine (pediatrics). I had a cold in early December. My husband has been super sick for 7-8 days. He hasn't worked in 3 days. Doc said it is a virus. Head/chest congestion, barking cough that is now wet without the expulsion of mucous. No aches or pains. Fatigue due to lack of sleep. The cough keeps him awake. His chest Xray was fine. I am hoping I don't get it. He is going to work today.

Is the FluMist still in clinical trials? I recall when they were out of the flu shot a couple of years ago the Mist was available but it was still in testing. Army=guinea pigs?

My youngest son is the only one who gets the flu shot now. He has a weakened immune system due to histiocytosis.

My oldest got a flu shot when he was a toddler. He got influenza at 11 months old and had seizures due to the fever, so he had the shot for the next few years.

Is the FluMist still in clinical trials? I recall when they were out of the flu shot a couple of years ago the Mist was available but it was still in testing. Army=guinea pigs?

no it was approved in july 08 but we were getting it in 07 before it was. so yes, army= guinea pigs

My father is an RN, so he always surprised me and my siblings and just brought the shots home.
"Flu shot day!!"

Then we would run and hide.

I think they are worth it though, I think I've only gotten the flu maybe once or twice.

I used to get one every year when I was about 11-16 years old, until I learned more about the risk/benefit ratio involved (thimerosal, adjuvants, side effects, etc.) I haven't gotten one in probably about 10 years now, and have never had an actual case of influenza in that time.

I'm pretty sure I had it once when I was a child, and it was the sickest I've ever been. In fact, I don't think my health ever fully recovered after getting the flu...or whatever that was. I'm absolutely terrified of sickness, but still won't even entertain the notion of getting a flu shot now that I know the facts.

8)

The scientific consensus—including scientific and medical bodies such as the Institute of Medicine and World Health Organization[8] as well as governmental agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration[4] and the CDC[9]—rejects any role for thiomersal in autism or other neurodevelopmental disorders. Multiple lines of scientific evidence have been cited to support this conclusion: for example, the clinical symptoms of mercury poisoning differ significantly from those of autism.[10] Most conclusively, eight major studies (as of 2008) examined the effect of reductions or removal of thiomersal from vaccines. All eight demonstrated that autism rates failed to decline despite removal of thiomersal, arguing strongly against a causative role.[11][12][13][14][15][16][17][18]

People who are so stupid to believe bullshit like that thiomersal may actually cause autism deserve to have their seed wiped out by natural selection anyway. Haven't you learned that if it was actually bad for you, then the drug companies would have removed it by now, so that they didn't get sued? Epic sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.